Blue Sea Systems Mini Battery Switch (PN 9005)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
If anyone happens to be familiar with this particular battery switch, I have a question for you. There seem to be three cables connected to it. One on the left, one on the right, and one at the bottom. The switch itself has an ON position and an OFF position. There is a key in it, which can be removed when it is in the OFF position.

I think that a cable comes in from the left, goes out the right if the switch is in the ON position, and goes out the bottom if the switch is in the OFF position. If someone could verify that (or if it it not correct, tell me what is correct) I would very much appreciate it.

Very difficult to get to it with a meter to get the answer, so I will try here first. If no joy, then will just have to remove it and use a meter.

Have you read the manual or instructions from Blue Sea? Most of those are available online.

Have you read the manual or instructions from Blue Sea? Most of those are available online.

Looked online but couldn't find either. It has long been discontinued.

Hi JW, I think you need to dismount the switch and look. I think you will find that there are only two terminals.

You'll find two wires on one terminal and one on the other.

Most likely the switch has one hot lead coming in and two that go on or off with the switch.

You could have the incoming hot lead sharing a terminal with a non switched circuit.
That circuit would remain hot with the switch in either position.

Where do the wires go?
Try this link.
m-Series Battery Switch - Blue Sea Systems

If one of the wires is smaller than the other two, it could be an alternator field disconnect, but I don't think that switch has that option.
If you can't figure it out, call Blue Sea. They are really nice folks.

Bill, I couldn't open the drawing file as it is some sort of CAD file and I don't have a CAD program. Is there a free one that will open it? Can it be converted to a PDF or something else?

Here are front and rear photos of the Blue Sea Systems PN 9005. As HopCar mentioned earlier, probably just two cables connected to one of the lugs.

If you need more info you can call Blue Seas at 800.222.7617 8am to 5pm Pacific Time, or email them at techsupport@bluesea.com.

Attachments

• 9005 F.jpg
    9005 F.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 9005 R.jpg
    9005 R.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 117
Just click on the link I posted. It goes a manual that shows the back of the switch with 3 wires attached to it.

Thanks for the picture of the back, Larry. Only two terminals, so clearly one terminal has two cables attached. Whether it is the hot terminal or the switched terminal is not clear, but I can find out easily enough next time I am down there.

The house battery is connected to the hot terminal of the Blue Sea. One of the other two cables runs directly to the input of the main battery switch (a large regular battery switch -- 1,2,BOTH, OFF) which is mounted above the Blue Sea switch.

The other cable from the Blue Sea seems to run directly to a 12-volt bus, meaning that even when the main battery switch is turned to the OFF position the house battery is still supplying the bus unless the Blue Sea switch is turned off.

Just why it is wired that way is not clear to me, though. My guess is that the cable coming from the Blue Sea to the main battery switch is coming from the hot terminal of the Blue Sea, so that electrically the house battery runs directly to the main battery switch, as it should do. However, if the Blue Switch is in the OFF position then no power is available to the boat from the bus. A way to ensure that the house battery is cut off from everything other than being used for cranking, perhaps.

Anyway, between Larry, Parks and Bill my question has been well answered, and I am grateful.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I was trying to open the one on the Blue Sea webpage that is a DXF file.
I should have looked at your link more closely.

Back
Top Bottom