View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Rather than trying to out smart the engine and transmission manufacturers, I more or less just do what they say. Very nominal expense in the greater scheme of things especially given the criticality of the systems involved. And yes, I do oil analyses every change, including an interim on the transmissions, which leads to the "more or less" hedging within a very small variance.
I do exactly what they say. Now I've never had the issue of the time for an oil change coming before the hours so not faced this circumstance. I know we're often times replacing perfectly good oil, but then I take pleasure in finding out how good it is upon analysis.

If it was a large commercial or military ship, I'd be different. I had a friend who never changed the oil in his car. Not seldom, but never. He based that decision after supposedly serving on a submarine where they never changed oil. I would say not comparable and certainly wouldn't recommend taking it to his level.

Saying a year probably evolved from seasonality. One advantage is that you change in the off season, so you don't have to in the middle of next year's boating season.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote