New Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Di Mare
Vessel Make
Mainship 34t
to us at least.

We closed on a 2006 Mainship 34t on Wednesday just in time for the*Hurricane.

Luckily she was in Southport NC*so I moved her to the Southport City Marina where she rode it out to the tune of some very low wind speeds and a little rain.

So now the learning of all of the system on a new boat will start again.

The name will be Stella*di Mare as soon as the US Coast Guard says's so.

-- Edited by JD on Friday 3rd of September 2010 08:28:25 AM

Great little trawlers...I love them....best bang for the buck on the water! If I were more of a cruiser than a day sailer, I'd own one. I came within an eyelash of buying and older Pilot 34 but ran into the Halvorsen 32 in my own town. (The Mainship I wanted was in New England.) I'm also an ex Pilot 30 driver.

Very fine boat there JD!!! That would be what we would have if it was just a tad beyond our price range. My wife loves those boats. We would likely end up with an older 350/390.

How is she powered???

Anyway, congratulations!!! She is a beauty for sure!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 3rd of September 2010 11:00:23 AM

Baker wrote:

Very fine boat there JD!!! That would be what we would have if it was just a tad beyond our price range. My wife loves those boats. We would likely end up with an older 350/390.

How is she powered???

Anyway, congratulations!!! She is a beauty for sure!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 3rd of September 2010 11:00:23 AM
John,

She has the 370 Yanmar 6LYA - STP.* Only 89 hours total with 86 on the Kohler Gen-set.* The Cook Top, Microwave and Shower have never been used.* The grill on the Fly-bridge*has the gas valve wrapped in paper with the booklet all inside of the grill.

Bow and Stern thrusters and two Raymarine E 80's on the bridge.* Now all I have to do is learn how to work it all.*

All and all a great find.

If you ever have a layover at RDU just let us know and we can run to the coast and take it for a run.

Baker wrote:
That would be what we would have if it wasn't just a tad beyond our price range.
Interesting!* After reading your posts over the years, I see you & your wife in something like this....Factory Reconditioned Mainship Pilot 43 for Sale (Forget the price)...I'm talking about the "style" of the boat.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 3rd of September 2010 02:45:25 PM

Walt, I still tend to like a flybridge. It takes the steering space out of the salon and opens it up a bit. It is also a lot easier to see if you run the boat at night...which we find ourselves doing every now and then. BUT!!!!!!.........that Pilot 43 is a fine boat for sure. And I have an idea of what they go for brand new so that is a deal for somebody!!!!

Thanks everyone.

The adventure begins tomorrow for it's off to New Bern from Southport.

Snead's Ferry on Sunday and Beaufort*on Monday then to Wayfarers Cove for some clean up work at the yard there*on Tuesday.* To New Bern the next week to see if she fit's in my slip.* If not changing slips is in order.

Very Nice! One of the best bangs for the buck on the 'new' boat market. We looked long and hard at the Mainship's a few years back.

Baker wrote:" I still tend to like a flybridge. It takes the steering space out of the salon and opens it up a bit."
It, indeed, does that and I can certainly understand why many love their flybridges. My favorite boat to date was a 42' Ocean Alex sedan. Along with her speed (cruise 20kts. great 2nd cabin (side by side births) she had a unique set up for driving in the salon.
A throttle and shifter (Morse) were mounted just aft of the wind screen and a Ray Marine auto pilot mounted along side the Morse controlls. NO HELM!* You could control the boat's heading with the AP knob and dodge buttons as well as having control over the throttle and shifter. It freed up the space you have eluded to and worked very well. I certainly didn't use this station when in the bay or marina but on the 70 mile jaunts to Catalina, I used it all the time. I should have kept the boat as it was the "best."

Attachments

• mariposa.jpg
    mariposa.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 102
Awesome Walt!!! I am a sedan fan all the way. One of my favorite boats in our marina is a newer OA 52....I think that is the size...in that range anyway. Just looks like a fine boat!

Congrats again JD....very fine boat!!!

JD:

Everyone on this Forum knows I'm absolutely "anal" when it comes to maintaining my boat. With that in mind, and since you have a beautiful green hull, you might want to consider two "training wheels" (with carpeted covers) and "condoms" for you fenders.
I'm completing my fourth year of ownership on SeaHorse II and her blue hull looks fantastic! It's like owning a fully restored 57 Chevy....nothing but the best.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• img_3363.jpg
    img_3363.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 100
Thanks Walt,

The training wheels will be one only because we are a fixed dock and it is a 1/2 finger.

What kid id fender cover do you have.* Several years ago I bought some for the sailboat and they lasted about 6 months, then deteriorated.* Just feel apart.* They were Taylor and WM made good on them by returning the money but did not have replacement covers.

JD: I don't remember whose condoms I bought but they appear to made of a nylon type material. They are dark blue and don't fade. I have had them for about 3 years.

Attachments

• img_3377.jpg
    img_3377.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 96
  • img_3389.jpg
    img_3389.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 103
SeaHorse II wrote:

JD: I don't remember whose condoms I bought but they appear to made of a nylon type material. They are dark blue and don't fade. I have had them for about 3 years.
Walt: I hope you wash those condoms from time to time. Encrusted salty deposits can render them ineffectual for the intended purpose.

Dave:

It's never entered my mind to wash the condoms! I have washed the training wheel covers but not the fender covers.** Thank you!

SeaHorse II wrote:

Dave:

It's never entered my mind to wash the condoms! I have washed the training wheel covers but not the fender covers.** Thank you!
Back in medieval days, when they were made of a sheep's intestines, or whatever, if you didn't wash them, you might end up with more than scratched topsides.

In days of old when knights were bold and condoms weren't invented...etc

Wife makes fender covers out of cheap terrycloth towels. When they get raunchy enough so a quick rinse won't clean them they go in the washer.
When they rip she makes new ones.
(This allows me to be a "dumpster diver" and collect some really nice large fenders that are only dirty.)

I need to join dumpster divers annonymous
biggrin.gif

JD.... it's been 2 years since you took possession of your 34... how's it working out? Any cruises? Any surprises? I just bought a 2005 34 and Hurricane Sandy tested the pilings and tide slides when she passed New Smyrna... no damage, but this was the first storm event - not pretty to see the 34 getting tossed. My Dad's family is from Bridgeton - lots of relatives in Beaufort... we'd like to cruise up that way next Spring... Once I figure out how to post a photo, I'll attach one of "Gone Coastal"

Earl

JD's boat has a self-esteem problem. It's the only 35' slip on a pier of 50' slips. It also seems to attract a lot of Jell-O shots and covered-dish events. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

JD.... it's been 2 years since you took possession of your 34... how's it working out? Any cruises? Any surprises? I just bought a 2005 34 and Hurricane Sandy tested the pilings and tide slides when she passed New Smyrna... no damage, but this was the first storm event - not pretty to see the 34 getting tossed. My Dad's family is from Bridgeton - lots of relatives in Beaufort... we'd like to cruise up that way next Spring... Once I figure out how to post a photo, I'll attach one of "Gone Coastal"

Earl

Funny I just saw your post on the trip home. I was going to comment that we may be down your way in mid January and might need a tour of your boat.

I have found the boat to be well built. I looked at a lot of other boats before buying this one and I'm not unhappy with the boat or it's build quality. Are there better built boats, I guess but at what cost difference. I think that Mainship used the same items in this boat as a Nordhavn or Selene or you name it. The shower sump, the galley sink, the water Faucets, the battery cables the genset ...............and the list goes on.

We love the fly bridge. So do Tom and Bess. I had a cabinet built for the Grille and a built in ice maker. Are there things I do not like or will change on the next boat if there is one? Sure. But the engine room access on our boat is great. We find it lacking on hang up storage or storage period for that matter. I'm thinking that we would have to live aboard full time to learn how to make the best of the space we have. I would vac bag some items. I did a little of repair to the lockers top side I'm good with how dry they stay now. The water used when you wash the upper deck runs through the lockers. I stopped this by making a small plate of starboard that fits into the forward edge of the seat and deck joint on both sides. Problem solved. I installed a backup camera that is real helpful when docking. Easy project.

So when you come up be sure to contact us. We can all get together. Al Ross is up here, Tom and Bess are in the same marina as we are. I'll get the Admiral to do a redo on Jello Shots.

BTW being the smallest boat on the dock is really great.

JD... thanks for the reply... as far as we know, we'll be here in Jan... as you pass G17 and approach R18, coming into New Smyrna, you'll see Gone Coastal (GC) at about 11 o'clock. She's docked at the house which makes it convenient to explore. My neighbor had a 39' Mainship and we found a lot to like about his boat... he has a 53 Hattares now... we went to many fests and saw many boats. Flybridge (in FL) was a given; also single diesel; and no more than 34' was a good fit for our needs. We're satisfied with the workmanship - not exactly Grand Banks or Marlow but pricewise, the 34 MS was the trawler of choice. So far, we've only cruised locally - 3~4 hour cruises, once outside but mostly in the ICW. I've done a few things so far; new screens on windows; 2 coats of waterproof on bimini; weeks of oxidation removal and waxing... Now it's time to get into owner maintenance... soon it will be changing transmission fluid, coolant replacement and fuel filter(s) replacment. Oil change for the engine and gen came with the purchase. OK there... Please clue me in if there's anything I should do or not do as I turn wrenches... Would like to have a stern thruster, but am learning to rudder steer - bow thruster a big help and Vicky does OK with line handling while I steer...

We'll certainly let you know when we head north, and see if you can locate us on Google Earth - directly east of G17...

Earl

JD... thanks for the reply... as far as we know, we'll be here in Jan... as you pass G17 and approach R18, coming into New Smyrna, you'll see Gone Coastal (GC) at about 11 o'clock. She's docked at the house which makes it convenient to explore. My neighbor had a 39' Mainship and we found a lot to like about his boat... he has a 53 Hattares now... we went to many fests and saw many boats. Flybridge (in FL) was a given; also single diesel; and no more than 34' was a good fit for our needs. We're satisfied with the workmanship - not exactly Grand Banks or Marlow but pricewise, the 34 MS was the trawler of choice. So far, we've only cruised locally - 3~4 hour cruises, once outside but mostly in the ICW. I've done a few things so far; new screens on windows; 2 coats of waterproof on bimini; weeks of oxidation removal and waxing... Now it's time to get into owner maintenance... soon it will be changing transmission fluid, coolant replacement and fuel filter(s) replacment. Oil change for the engine and gen came with the purchase. OK there... Please clue me in if there's anything I should do or not do as I turn wrenches... Would like to have a stern thruster, but am learning to rudder steer - bow thruster a big help and Vicky does OK with line handling while I steer...

We'll certainly let you know when we head north, and see if you can locate us on Google Earth - directly east of G17...

Earl

We have a stern thruster as well and I love it.

As far as filter changes. I'm going to figure out something for the Engine because it is messy. I may relocate it to a bulkhead but not sure where. The fuel filters are easy. I removed the silly metal shield from my Racor. You can't see into the filter with it on and if there were a fire that would melt the filter where it is located it won't make any difference anyway. The Racor will bleed out the top as long as you have over half of tank of fuel. The main engine filter has a pump right under it so that is easy as well. This engine 6LYA bleeds itself. It has started every time after a change and has never missed a beat. The genset Racor on the stringer is really low and will bleed out easily and the one inside of the sound shield is self priming as you turn the power on and start the electric fuel pump does the job.

If we come to FL in Jan it will be by car not boat. I have a cousin that is having her 70th and she is 11 months older than me so I can't let the opportunity pass without a bit of fan fare so to speak.

Thanks JD... good info from someone who's been there... I'm hoping the oil exchanger will eliminate some of the mess, but the filter is horizontally mounted which means at least half the filter will have oil in it that will have to go somewhere. That'll be a next summer undertaking. Changing the fuel filters doesn't appear to be too complicated - will see and it's good to know that the fuel systems are self priming. The owner's manual makes it sound complicated...

understand about being in FL via car... no problem.. as you get closer, let me know and i'll give you directions...

Earl

Earl,

My other thought on the oil filter is to alter the drain tube they have in place. What they have might work if the tube has not being bent in half or more to store it. Then what happens is that the shallow concave place under the filter with the drain backs up and the oils spills all over. I may replace the vinyl tube with a more rigid material and then have a shut off in the end that will contain any residue oil. If I built it correctly I will be able to put a can or bottle under it and drain the concave place under the filter without a mess. If I come up with something that works then I will put it on the MS Yahoo group site.

Maybe we will see you in Jan. We may be able to meet for lunch or something as my wife and I drive either south or North.

Last edited:
Seems like Yanmar or a technician would have come up with a less messy way to change oil.. in my former stern drive, i used a cut off valve at the oil pan drain plug and ran a hose out the transom drain hole... that saved oil in the bilge... if you come up with a less messy idea, i'd sure like to see it...

i have noticed the vinly tube under the oil filter but didn't know that that was for although it has oil residue in it...

And assuming you have 250 hours on your engine, did you have the (1) adjustment on injection pressure and atomizing condition as well as the (2) adjustment of clearance intake and exhaust valve serviced? Under Chapter 4.2 of the Yanmar Operation Manual, that's a scheduled service... my engine is approaching 1000 hours, and that's the next interval for this service... just wondering...

and for sure... hopefully we can have lunch on the upper helm... let me know when you're coming this way..

earl

Hi guys
I just saw your post on changing the oil filter. I have the same set up on my 390 and after making a mess my first year, i decided to change the filter the day after my oil change to give the filter time to drain back to the sump. It does not drain all the way, but I slide a trash bag under the filter and then unscrew it. Only a little oil comes out and its pretty easy to clean with a paper towel or two.
John
2003 390

Back in medieval days, when they were made of a sheep's intestines, or whatever, if you didn't wash them, you might end up with more than scratched topsides.
Talk of condoms and sheep intestines should stop,you are exciting the New Zealanders.

Back
Top Bottom