Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #41
Forkliftt
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
If it was me, before I started to tear into the ignition system, I too would hook up an external gas tank, say like a 6 gal outboard tank, and see how the engine behaves running on that.

Good plan, and before I disassembled or "disturbed" any more of the systems I would try to isolate the problem. The last thing you want is for it to just go away after shaking some wiring. You won't know when it might come back.
We keep these spark testers on our service vans. You may want to get one of these, set the gap at 1/4" since you still have points (1/2" for electronic), put the alligator clip on the top of an easy to reach spark plug and slip the plug wire on the other end.
Start the engine and reference the color and size of the ignition spark, then increase the RPMs in neutral to confirm the color and size of the spark stay the same. Repeat the test in gear, and this should tell you if the ignition system is holding up, or that you have found a problem in the ignition system. Good luck! Keep is informed. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408103632.896315.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	32070Napa or OReilly should carry these.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️