Genset won't crank after overheat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterfront

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Waterfront
Vessel Make
Chein Hwa Present Sundeck 35
I have a westerbeke 8kw genset that shut down after my impeller went south. After replacing the impeller in the raw water pump, I decided to go ahead and replace the two fuel elements on the set. According to the manual this engine is self bleeding in that it has an electric fuel pump. What am I missing??? :confused::banghead:

A little confusing. Won't it crank or wont it start? Makes a big difference.

Have the 20 TWO in my launch

Is the fuel pump running? With the high temp maybe one of the sensors that cut out the fuel pump went south? (Oil/water temp sensors). On the 20b Two I have to press both the start button and the glow plug button together to get the engine to start. Pressing the glow plug button bypasses the oil pressure sensor allowing the fuel pump to run until the engine starts and the oil pressure switch makes. My sending unit failed and I temporarily ran bypassed for a week while I waited for the part to come in. On my engine I can clearly hear the pump run when I depress the glow plug button. Can you confirm fuel return to the fuel tank? I think there is an inline fuse or breaker in that loop too.

must be cranking

Assuming it cranks if he is suspecting fuel issue.

If it is not cranking, I just had an issue with my westerbeeke where it would not crank after it was hot/warm. After tons of chasing the issue it turned out to be the preheat solenoid. Replaced it and all is well.

A wiring diagram and explanation of wether the starter is turning over the engine or not will provide for easy troubleshooting. I have been told by many people that say their engine wont crank over. Half the time they mean it turns over and wont start and the other half of the time they mean the starter does not turn the engine over. To me saying the engine wont crank means the starter is not turning the engine over but I Believe the original OP means it will not start but will turn over with the starter.

If this is the 8kw BDT it is self bleeding only to a point. After you change the two fuel filter elements on the engine you need to push some fuel up to the point where it fills the containers. I have had to bleed the engine on occasion.

If the overheating switch was working the genset stopped long before any damage. If it is overheated and your try to start it, the genset will turn over and actually run but shut off immediately after you release the starter - the starter is an override of the overheating switch.

If you lost your prime, it can be some work to get it reestablished. With an electric pump in line I prime the fuel to the point it comes out of the injectors, starting with the two fuel filters so that I know they are filled.

If all fails, get a qualified mechanic. Next step: new or rebuilt genset.

If 8 btd, fuel pump only runs when preheat is held, or when oil press sw is closed (running). Hold the preheat too long and risk burning out glow plugs. Best thing to do is get a little jumper and unplug elec fuel pump and put 12v to it directly. Or unplug oil press sw and jump the two wires together.

After a good run of elec fuel pump, pretty rare to need to prime at injectors. But that would be the next step if it fails to fire.

Not having a genset, it's easy to be nonchalant.

Sorry about the confusion, the engine turns over but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump run as soon as I press the preheat button. I am going back to the boat this morning to bleed at the injectors. If this does not help then possibly jumper over the temp sensor and/or the oil pressure sensor? After that I will be at the mercy of a mechanic .

Make sure fuel solenoid lever pulls in when you go to preheat and crank. Bring a little piece of wire to jump the oil pressure switch leads, this will cause fuel pump to run steady and purge air. If it still does not start, crack injector nuts with a 17mm wrench. For fuel to bleed there, engine must be cranked. Close sea cock while cranking to prevent flooding engiine with water, open one it starts.

Sorry about the confusion, the engine turns over but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump run as soon as I press the preheat button. I am going back to the boat this morning to bleed at the injectors. If this does not help then possibly jumper over the temp sensor and/or the oil pressure sensor? After that I will be at the mercy of a mechanic .

Likely air in the fuel line. I believe that on the 8kw BDT the start button/preheat button overrides all three sensors. If a sensor is the problem the engine should start but shut off immediately when you release the preheat button.

Last edited:
Likely air in the fuel line. I believe that on the 8kw BDT the start button/preheat button overrides all three sensors. If a sensor is the problem the engine should start but shut off immediately when you release the preheat button.

That is the way I remember it as well.

Start by bleeding the system.

After chasing rabbits, I made sure that fuel was being pumped all the way through to the return line. Then I backed the fuel line off the injectors and turned the engine over... no fuel at the injectors... fuel at the input to the injector pump .... ((Make sure fuel solenoid lever pulls in when you go to preheat and crank)) The fuel solenoid is energized to run, and it was not energized. BROKEN WIRE TO THE SOLENOID. I finally caught the rabbit. Problem solved !!!! Ski in NC had it pegged. Thanks for all the help!

And I was just going to post my 8 Westerbeke ALWAYS self primes...but maybe I'm just lucky.

Glad you got it resolved!

Back
Top Bottom