Erie Canal Observations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing about the lock funding, etc...

All 33 locks and the canal itself are managed by the NYS Thruway department. The entire canal operations take 3% of their budget. I don't think it generates much revenue - it's not even enough to get to 1% to show up on their balance sheet.

But having the canal is a great marketing move for the Thruway. That large highway takes tourism away from so many of the small towns in upstate NY. The canal system gives them something to show toward giving back to the communities. It provides wonderful exposure and great PR for 3%.

It's one of the few, outstanding deals for boaters.

We finished a 9 day, 100 miles each way, trip on July 5th. We (the admiral and myself) loved it. We started at the western end in Tonawanda, and headed a little past Rochester, NY (Pittsford). With the exception of one town, there were free docks with free 30 amp power, restrooms, showers and restaurants in easy walking distance. The one dock that we had to pay for was $8. What really surprised me was how beautiful, convenient, and inexpensive it all was and how few boaters take advantage of it. We, also, saw very few boats along the way. I've done the Trent Severn 3 times, but this was my first trip to the Erie Canal. I am looking forward to planning another trip back to do the parts east from where we turned back this trip. The people we met along the way could not have been more friendly. In one town, I inquired at the boaters welcome center, where I might be able to buy a NY fishing license. The gentleman said he didn't know, but would find out. About an hour later, the gentleman found us eating in one of the town's restaurants. He told me that I could get a license at Walmart. He told me that when we were done eating, to come back to the welcome center, and he'd give me a ride up to the Walmart - about 5 miles away. Granted, it's not for everybody, but, if you enjoy a liesurley pace, friendly people, small towns, etc. the Erie Canal can't be beat.

We just came back from 5 weeks on the canal, from Tonawanda to Oswego and back. Had a great time, loved meeting the locals and exploring. Even met up with Loafs and Fishes mid way through. Bicycles are a big plus for getting to laundry and grocery stores. Air draft is less the further west you go. 15 feet should be safe, but expect less in periods of heavy rain. There most definitely is a current on the canal, some places more than others. Each docking is different, so we usually just put the trannys in neutral and watch what happens before making an approach to a dock. We have extensive pictures and articles on our blog and facebook sites for viewing. We plan to go back next year and catch all the places we had to miss due to time constraints. The majority of towns we tied up to were free, with water and electric at the dock, heads and showers nearby (usually). We feel it is some of the best cruising available in the US!

Attachments

• canal1.jpg
    canal1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 135
  • canal3.jpg
    canal3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 121
  • canal2.jpg
    canal2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 125
  • canal5.jpg
    canal5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 131
  • canal6.jpg
    canal6.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 128
  • canal.jpg
    canal.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 134
  • canal4.jpg
    canal4.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 130
  • canal7.jpg
    canal7.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 142
  • canal9.jpg
    canal9.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 127
  • canal8.jpg
    canal8.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 126
WOW! I am envious of you. I ran beside the Erie and Champlain canals for 10 years on The Amtrak as a Conductor. It was a rare occasion to see a pleasure boat and when we did the Engineer would always call back "look out on the North Side. Nice Boat." I carried many people who dropped boats along the way and heard many many stories from passengers about the canal. Some of my regulars were decendents of cannalers and they themselves worked on tugs up and down the Hudson and East Coast. Once and a while one of the Pilots from Yonkers jumped aboard after piloting a ship up the Hudson to Alabany. Lets hope the State of NY keeps the canal system open before money dries up because of entitlement programs. I'm hoping to do the canal system due North to Montreal, with a return out the St Lawrence, stopping in the Bay Des Chaleurs and then down the coast. Hope to see you along the way....

We finished a 9 day, 100 miles each way, trip on July 5th. We (the admiral and myself) loved it. We started at the western end in Tonawanda, and headed a little past Rochester, NY (Pittsford). With the exception of one town, there were free docks with free 30 amp power, restrooms, showers and restaurants in easy walking distance. The one dock that we had to pay for was $8. What really surprised me was how beautiful, convenient, and inexpensive it all was and how few boaters take advantage of it. We, also, saw very few boats along the way. I've done the Trent Severn 3 times, but this was my first trip to the Erie Canal. I am looking forward to planning another trip back to do the parts east from where we turned back this trip. The people we met along the way could not have been more friendly. In one town, I inquired at the boaters welcome center, where I might be able to buy a NY fishing license. The gentleman said he didn't know, but would find out. About an hour later, the gentleman found us eating in one of the town's restaurants. He told me that I could get a license at Walmart. He told me that when we were done eating, to come back to the welcome center, and he'd give me a ride up to the Walmart - about 5 miles away. Granted, it's not for everybody, but, if you enjoy a liesurley pace, friendly people, small towns, etc. the Erie Canal can't be beat.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, I heard you met up with an old boating friend of mine!

We've found that anywhere you cruise you can find some special people and some special things to see and do. But then every town you ever go to has that. We always have fun because we look for the best a place has to offer. We'll look back at this thread and books we've read before we go up the Erie. In fact, we have documents on which we regularly copy and save new comments and add places we don't want to miss or things we want to be sure we see. It's really the same on land. Every city, every town has some beauty. They all have some ugly too but that's not the part we seek in our travels. And if we see a bit of that as well, we put that out of our minds and concentrate on the beauty. I love these travelogue type threads on various areas as they just build to our excitement for the future.

The Erie canal didn't start out top on our list but the more we learn the more we look forward to it. That's much like Alaska was. There was a time that we had no real interest in seeing it. The main thing we thought of when you mentioned Alaska was "Cold". And we're not cold weather fans. But we started thinking about it. Reading about it. Learning more. The more we did the more excited we got. Soon we had lists of all the places and things we wanted to see. Far more than was possible so we selected. We just completed the most wonderful trip through Alaska and only brushed the surface.

I would encourage any of you to make your lists, starting now. Everytime someone mentions something about a place that sounds good, add it. Also look at sites like Trip Advisor. That way you won't just end up in a place wondering what there is there. You'll look at your list of all you want to do and see before you go and then you'll see how much time you're planning there and choose a few and feel bad you can't see it all. My wife says I'll make spreadsheets on anything. Well, true. But we don't end up in an area with nothing that interests us. We always have things we look forward to. Seldom are we disappointed. Only once in two years and we realized it was us. It was toward the end of a trip and we just weren't into this particular city and cut it short. But we decided when we flew back to the boat to head there again. We did and loved it. I'm glad we realized it wasn't the city, but it was us the first time.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, I heard you met up with an old boating friend of mine!

Thanks, Ron. Yes, we met up with your friends, Rob and Marie, and traveled with them for the last part of our trip. Also, the lock operator in Lockport knew you, too. Thanks again for the itinerary you sent. We got a late start on day one leaving Michigan and weren't able to quite keep up with it. We did, however, head up the Genesee river and had lunch at the Dinosaur BBQ. It was delicious!! Thanks for that tip. Loved the canal and can't wait to go back. I believe it was someone in this thread that said the Erie Canal was the best cruising in the U.S.. I would believe it.

I've been lurking around this thread.The Erie Cannal is one thing I plan to do.I have only traveled the SE US so I feel that traveling the EC will be enlightening for me.There's more of our country's history there than where I live in SC.

Thanks, Ron. Yes, we met up with your friends, Rob and Marie, and traveled with them for the last part of our trip. Also, the lock operator in Lockport knew you, too. Thanks again for the itinerary you sent. We got a late start on day one leaving Michigan and weren't able to quite keep up with it. We did, however, head up the Genesee river and had lunch at the Dinosaur BBQ. It was delicious!! Thanks for that tip. Loved the canal and can't wait to go back. I believe it was someone in this thread that said the Erie Canal was the best cruising in the U.S.. I would believe it.

Maybe we will catch up with you next year if you decide to return. If things work out, we will be living on our boat next summer full time with plenty of time to cruise the canal.

I'm from the greater PNW.

Probably why I love these Erie Canal pictures. Exotic views.

Typical ?it appears I did the canal 'backwards! I took 6 and a half days total (with a three week layup for work) to transit the canal. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410724352.126130.jpgsometimes the locks were HUGE
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410724420.183988.jpgsometimes we were above the farms alongside ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410724454.239475.jpgsometimes it was just a little drop
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410724513.155138.jpgsometimes it was just plain nice

It is a different type of trip. I would do it again, and if I wasn't so pressed for time There were many places I would have liked to stop and explore.

Too bad I can't put a movie on here. I have a minute 20 short but can't post it.

Regarding height of the structures on the canal. As posted on many forums, and mentioned here the general height available from Waterford lock 1 all the way to Lockport 23 and out to Oswego is 19'. BUT the rivers feeding the western half of the canal do effect the height (especially around the Cayuga/ Seneca portion) There are also about 200 bridges to be gone under. I believe the number of opening bridges is around 23. Meaning, these 23 MUST be opened to transit. the bridges are all on the western part (from Syracuse west). From 3 rivers junction approx lock 23 to Blackrock there are 15'6" bridges. Not many, (only two that I found close to that) but they are fixed, with no way around them. This is why boats over 15'6" go from the Hudson (via Erie and Oswego), to Lake Ontario.

One part that was vexing to me (AS I had a delivery time schedule). The published 'hours of operation' were NOT honored. Once I realized this, and adjusted to only running from 0800 to 1800 all was fine. The eastern locks from E 24 east did operate longer hours. But, the western half did slow me down on the transit time. Of course, if I had no hurry, I would have spent the 75 bucks on a season pass and stopped at many town and cities. We spent the night at Middleport. Having a burger at a local pub, the waiter tried (really!) to give me his keys to his car when I asked for directions to a place to buy ice. ( apparently it was too far to walk). We drove right past Spencerport Fair. FairPort looked like an awesome place to stop, and the concert at baldwinsville lock sounded awesome. (As it receded in the distance?). And many other places I wished I could stop at. Next time! St Johnsonville was a nice stop, buck a foot, included two 30 amp plugs, 5 for a pump out and a walk up the street for dinner. I wish we had stopped at Waterford. It looked amazing. But, trying to beat Hurricane Alberto home, we were in a hurry.

here is some awesome info on the Canal: http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Cruising the Erie Canal.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom