March pump replacement alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By far the most commonly used pumps are the March pumps. Very few people I know of have problems with them. I would not hesitate to use one.

That does it. I want my AC back! Off to Amazon.

So what IS the best brand AC Circ pump? My Cal pump is shot. Need a 500+- gph pump.

I've had very good luck with the MARCH LC-3CP-MD 500 gph at about 13 feet of head. :dance:

I've had very good luck with the MARCH LC-3CP-MD 500 gph at about 13 feet of head. :dance:

That's the one marineairrr said to get. Off to the races. Tired of the cal pump working, then not, then working ad nauseum.

Try Depco Pump as a source, you may (or may not) pay a little more but you will get great service before and after the sale, you talk to people who know boat issues and know what they are talking about. Plus they carry a full supply of parts and a have a good rebuild and service department.

Earlier in the string I cussed March pumps up one side and down the other..I hate them and the company.....but they are likely the best game in town I have to grudgingly admit. Buy it from West and get The extended warranty, pay with American Express and you might get another year of warranty...these damn things have been very unreliable for me, extremely reliable for others??? CYA.

Stand by for rant::::
Bought a boat, replaced AC, used March 500 GPH already on boat. Lasted less than a year. +-$300 later new March Pump. 6 months later laid up boat for refit. 10 months after that refit done, AC reinstalled and moved back on. Month later pump goes down, flat spot on armateur. Hot, hot!! Found another pump (March) installed same. Now I have owned 3
March Pumps and have not gotten my moneys worth yet. Started trying to find March Pump Company. Never could find much information about the company, lots of retailers but the company??? I know why, they want to hide and for good reason. I finally found a factory rep. I explained my situtation and that I felt that I had not gotten fair service from the product. He agreed and felt that it would be no problem. I later got the feeling that he repped many companies and March was just one of. E mails flew for a few months. All I wanted was a spare, not a refund. I had plenty of impeller assemblies, just wanted a motor. He said March would not warranty being over a year old and he would get me one from his buddy in the shop. Monthly e mails for 8 months...no motor. Either he was lying or the company the represents would not listen and follow THEIR Rep's reccomendations. Either way I am done. I spoke to yard owners and AC techs, they sad that the pumps are pretty good but forget customer service.

Now I bought another boat, one month in the March Pump gave up. Purchased 6/22/2013, but there was an extended warranty from West, pump 3 days out of MFG warranty gave up, agan HOT. West replaced immedately and got this old fat man back in the hot bilge immedately. I bought an extended warranty for replaced pump. Now I have owned 5 March Pumps since 2009. When I run out of warranty replacements I will divest myself of any business with this unethical company. I have 1 defective March pump in possession, close friend has 2 more. They have NO serial numbers. I bet I can get even with this company. I do not usually do business this way but when you have to handle a tur4 you may get some shi+ on your hands. Work arounds..Buy extended warranty if possible, charge on American Express with extended warranty protection. Keep spare so your back will not be up against the wall because of the heat. Lastly, buy somebody elses pump.

I have had similar experiences. Today was number 4 in 6 years. Just over the 1 year warranty on the last one. It seems every time I clean the strainer I cross my fingers that it primes correctly and doesn’t burn up...

I've been using these for home brew, water transfer and genset raw water onboard for 4 years now.
Never an issue so far.

The do make them in bigger sizes.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MD-30-M...tion-Water-Pump-/192171057207?redirect=mobile

The pumps are NOT Australian made.

What about using a domestic heating circulating pump like TYCO? They are bronze, cost about a hunderd bucks.

Rod

I've been using March mag drive pumps for many years in a different application. (sodium hydroxide). Little Giant makes a lot of competitive pumps. https://littlegiant.com/products/industrial/magnetic-drive-pumps/
Really the only difference I've found is that March has about 8 screws to fasten the volute and Little Giant uses 4 wing nuts - no tools! When one fails, I order a spare and add Magic lube (swimming pool industry, teflon based) or use marine silicone on the gasket. Holds off leaks, sometimes for the life of the pump.

Back
Top Bottom