Diesel engine Lehman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have the warmest feeling on this one. Don't know too many people would pay for a valve job/labor and then accept that mess of a "repair". And it doesn't stop there, who knows how many systems are in disrepair. Think the boating version of the movie money pit.

I agree. I would love to hear from the mechanic who supposedly did this job. I can't imagine any reputable mechanic would try and fix a leaky head like this other than in some kind of temporary emergency situation. Especially if he had just done a head/gasket job on that engine. Nor can I imagine an owner paying for such shoddy job.

I smell the owners hand in this.

It's a single screw boat I believe. So you should be able to rebuild that Lehman for well under $10,000.

I love an old diesel engine, but get real nervous once they have been opened up by someone incompetent. 5500 hours is no problem on a Lehman, but it's already needed a valve job (presumably). A lot of great suggestions on this thread, but I would still be concerned about a cracked cylinder head or a deformity on the block deck as was mentioned earlier. I'm in the "suggest you move on" camp for this one :)!

Present 42 Sundeck

Thank you all for your input .... I am running as fast as I can from this boat ... As someone said there are hundreds of other better maintain out there .. And for. A 1980 to be asking $79,000 it's a bit high ....to many red flags on this one ... Just don't understand why someone would not be upfront and tell it like it is .... So my search continues. ... I did have at one time a few years ago a chin haw 34 wish I could get that one back !!!

If the owner did rebuild the engine as you say the owner did .... it was not done correctly... as there is a lot of oil in the bildge and the goop would not have been used...

Back
Top Bottom