New here to research moving up to a trawler from 22' walkaround for the family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zimm

Vessel Name
Lady Grady
Vessel Make
Grady White Seafarer 226
Hello! I'm a new member, hope this is the right forum for me. Currently we have a 22' Grady white and do short day trips on the Potomac River around DC and MD.

I'm quickly realizing that my wife is an "indoor boater" and just wants shade, maybe A/C, be able to cook, read, and enjoy the boat without being out in the sun, jumping waves, or fishing. RV'ing on the water is more her style. Being in the Navy, I like the idea of my own "ship" with lots of gadgets like radar, FLIR, electronics, planning voyages, exploring, etc.

We currently have 2 boys, aged 2 and 4. As long as they can jump in the water and swim, they're happy.

Next year we're going to try and sell our second home (we're both active duty Navy) which would open up the budget for a "second home" boat/yacht.

Budget would be a big factor- but with a 20 year note, maybe $100k is a realistic goal?

We want to expand to going out for the whole weekend, gunkholing in coves, exploring the Cheasapeake Bay, and we like the notion of taking a week off work and cruising the ICW.

What got us thinking along these lines was seeing the Ranger tugs at the baltimore boat show. It really got us thinking maybe a trawler is what we need.

I'd have to recalibrate my thinking of time/distance coming from speed boats, but since we wouldn't need to worry about getting back to the dock, load it, trailer it, put it away, etc. we'd have more time on the water.

I'm not sure if want to limit ourselves to a trailerable boat- we could potentially have to move anywhere in the country- but we're hoping to stay here for several years. I retire in less than 3 years too. She has longer.

Any words of wisdom for me to start research?

My short list of requirements so far:
Comfortable to sleep 2 adults, 2 kids. Stand up head/shower. A/C and heat with genset. Economical cruise. Handle rough choppy water. My dad thinks a flying bridge should be a requirement- It would be nice for good weather to drive from outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
You and the wife need to climb all over 100 boats of all types before deciding on trawlers or anything else. Look at it more like buying a house than a car because you will live on it.
While looking make a list of features important to the both of you. Have her walk to the bow as if handling lines.

Any words of wisdom for me to start research?

Very inexpensive (and very rewarding) to comb through all the posts on this Forum regarding other people who have done the same type of thing. If you need some help doing that, give a shout.

Zimm-you are close to one of the great boat shopping places on the East Coast-Annapolis, and close in time to a great boat shopping event! The Annapolis Powerboat Show in October. Even though you are just an hour or so from Annapolis, I would go up the week of the Powerboat Show and spend a few days wandering through boats. Best time for just wandering during the show is Thursday and Friday, before the weekend crowds. It can be worthwhile to pay extra to get in the Pre-Show evening I think on Wednesday. You and your wife will get a pretty good idea of what appeals to you.

+1 on Annapolis. They have a complete trawler section. Once you decide on a manufacturer and model that has everything you want, you can start on Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com to look for used. New boats depreciate a lot in the first several years. Also check out the used boat section of Chesapeake Bay magazine, Salty Dog, Boatshopper, etc.
John
MS390

Zimm,
Can I suggest a Sundeck design? Based on your wife's interest in having shade (which I totally understand), a Sundeck with a hardtop over the deck will offer a lot of comfortable outdoor real estate. A Bimini cover on the flybridge offers additional shade. You will have a full width master cabin for you and mom and a front cabin for the little ones or guests.
One of the downsides is the numerous steps. bSteps up to the flybridge. Steps down to the saloon. More steps possibly to a down galley and front cabin. Another is additional windage inherent with this design. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Every type of vessel has strengths and weaknesses, but for us it has been a good fit. Good luck in your search!

Present 42 Sundeck

Zimm,
Can I suggest a Sundeck design? Based on your wife's interest in having shade (which I totally understand), a Sundeck with a hardtop over the deck will offer a lot of comfortable outdoor real estate. A Bimini cover on the flybridge offers additional shade. You will have a full width master cabin for you and mom and a front cabin for the little ones or guests.
One of the downsides is the numerous steps. bSteps up to the flybridge. Steps down to the saloon. More steps possibly to a down galley and front cabin. Another is additional windage inherent with this design. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Every type of vessel has strengths and weaknesses, but for us it has been a good fit. Good luck in your search!

Present 42 Sundeck

:thumb:

Zimm,

Welcome to a great site. I've been trolling this site for years and just recently joined myself. I've been hunting for the right boat now for several years and think I've come up with my dream boat a Nordhavn 47. I'm retired Navy also, so I can relate to the dream of your own Boat.
This group will give you a lot of sound advise and if you have the time, look through the different areas and don't be surprised if it overwhelms ya. But by all means, do the boat shows! It's a cheap date for the wife, and you can see a lot of different boats. You'll soon narrow it down to a few that you both can live with.
Another idea is look at chartering (Barefoot)a boat. I've done this many times and has helped me to find the good, and the not so good in things we want in a boat of our own.
Good luck in your hunt.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom