What is this Fantail Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Fantail Sterns come in degrees.

Squareish w rounded corners aren't "classic" fantails IMO but when viewed below the WL are almost the same as in Hollywood's boat. The old yachts that may have given birth to the expression had smallish sterns. The boats just ahead of the "fantail" were a lot narrower that amidships. Whereas the more modern boats were full basically all the way aft like Hollywood's boat and Scottiedavis's boat. Both aren't true fantails as they lack the basic shape that is very conical .. cone shaped. They achieved the "fantail" shape to a great extent because of their construction. They were made up of a fan/cone shaped assemblage of planks.

So if one assembled a dozen pics of fantail boats they could be arranged according to the degree of fantailness until basically little or no resemblance was found.

How's this for a fantail?

Attachments

• Fan Tail 009 (1280x960).jpg
    Fan Tail 009 (1280x960).jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 228
Definitely a fantail in my book.

Knuckle Stern

In this photo, Tonina has a knuckle stern. This design is popular is commercial trawlers and long range, ocean going yachts for their amazing abilities in a following sea. Where a square transom will be pushed by a following sea, the wave will just roll under a stern with this shape; which eliminates (or greatly reduces) the risk of broaching. We have been in amazingly huge following seas on Tonina and are able to just let the autopilot do its thing without any issues. Here is a link to more photos of Tonina as well: https://www.flickr.com/photos/55428883@N04/sets/72157644913263279/

big boat.jpg

This was an old thread that someone revived, thank you. As someone who used to live in front of the TV on Saturday mornings in the 50's and 60's this is a great story on a great boat and owner.
I found this and thought it was interesting, note the owners name, the famous cartoonist Tex Avery maybe?
GALATEA | WoodenBoat Magazine

I would love to have this boat, and even called about it. Unfortunately it is in the Bahamas with its owner and will not be back in the US for a while. It is a beechable box design. I also did not really like that way the broker says the 15,000 hour generator is fine, and is common in the islands. But what do I know? Maybe he is 100% right. I see John Wayne and a gun of some sort mounted on the bow in this boats future.

https://www.gerrmarine.com/KESTREL/KestrelWalrus-BoatInternationalUSA.pdf

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/y...elopment-2006-Fort-Lauderdale-Florida/7384164

Gerr, who also is president of the Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology, had designed a series of classic trawler yachts with fully beachable “box garboard” hulls. “It’s an old style of boatbuilding,” says the owner. “It allowed boats to slide over a sandbar.” thanks to this unique hullform, Walrus draws just over four feet.

Attachments

• medium_2920891.jpg
    medium_2920891.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 27
  • goim006.jpg
    goim006.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 115
  • goim022.jpg
    goim022.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
My goodness!! That engine room is cleaner than most clean rooms and Biotechnology labs the c19 vaccine was developed in!

Adapt,
What is the hull type/apparatus/thingy??? Just aft of the strap in the last picture you posted above? Is that what it actually looks like? The hull is pointing down just aft of the wheel? IF so, what is that doing, creating lift or something... crazy...

What is the hull type/apparatus/thingy??? Just aft of the strap in the last picture you posted above? Is that what it actually looks like? The hull is pointing down just aft of the wheel? IF so, what is that doing, creating lift or something... crazy...

Check out the line drawing at the bottom of the page linked below.

I bet the prop shaft is nearly horizontal...me-thinks the 'thingy' keeps the prop turbulence from immediately breaking the waters surface and turns it into forward motion.

https://www.gerrmarine.com/Beachable_Boats.html

My goodness!! That engine room is cleaner than most clean rooms and Biotechnology labs the c19 vaccine was developed in!

Adapt,

Interesting design, here is a nice video of Walrus under power

https://youtu.be/pPMSrBoF6l8

Here's a little more about her design

Check out the line drawing at the bottom of the page linked below.

I bet the prop shaft is nearly horizontal...me-thinks the 'thingy' keeps the prop turbulence from immediately breaking the waters surface and turns it into forward motion.

The hull on the boat on a lift in the pic seems to actually protrude outward and aft of the “normal” hull. The line drawing just kinda shows a tunnel design or exaggerated reverse chime at the transom essentially making a tunnel.

The hull on the boat on a lift in the pic seems to actually protrude outward and aft of the “normal” hull. The line drawing just kinda shows a tunnel design or exaggerated reverse chime at the transom essentially making a tunnel.

The line drawing is for a smaller boat with a flat transom. Walrus has such a curvaceous, overhanging arse end that those wingy bits were probably designed to create the same effect as the flat transom boats hull form.

Just a wild-assed guess :D

I would love to have this boat, and even called about it. Unfortunately it is in the Bahamas with its owner and will not be back in the US for a while. It is a beechable box design. I also did not really like that way the broker says the 15,000 hour generator is fine, and is common in the islands. But what do I know? Maybe he is 100% right. I see John Wayne and a gun of some sort mounted on the bow in this boats future.

Walrus has come up here before on another thread. Looks like an interesting approach to shoal water cruising.

Has been on the market for a number of years. But with only 2 guest cabins (plus single passage/crew cabin) on 76ft loa, she probably has a very small market niche only.

The Atkin Sea Bright hulls with a box keel and reverse deadrise were popular in the 50's & 60's as the claim was the hill could be driven to the SL x 1.7 with a very modest motor.

SL is the sq rt of the LWL.

This is not a "Fantail" stern. It looks just about exactly like most traditional west coast seine net fishing boats. One I could lust over though. By the way it's my opinion that this boat is 100% OK w the FB. Nice nesting job w the Forfjord anchor too.[/QUOTE

The forfjord anchor is what I have,it came on Broadbill when I purchased her,I asked the previous owner about it and he gave me the improper spelling and was trying to find out any info about it,but couldn't with the way I was spelling it,until I just read your post I gave up on research,I haven't set the anchor yet and to be honest with all the anchor stuff on here almost replaced it, hope the performance reflects the price,any info or input about it would be greatly appreciated

...Runs perfectly level!!

From what I've read, that's one of the hallmarks of this kind of hull.

When extra power is applied to our hull the aft end squats deeper into the water, the bow raises, and pushes a ridiculous wake.

Don’t get involved often here but will offer this. Art Defever tweaked the limit seiner designs and Lindwall loved building them. The stern is known as a ‘ knuckle stern ‘ design which was ubiquitous with 50-75 ton limit seiners in the sardine fishery years ago. Knuckle sterns were a very very common design that apparently has been buried over time cause nobody here has mentioned it. I worked for years on Tonina ( hell I got married on her with fifty plus guests ) and Pau Hana a smaller Defever/Lindwall build. My owner/customer logged thousands of miles between the Sea of Cortez, Mazatlan, Conception Bay, and once a year to Tinsley Is. in the Bay. He bought the boat stuck in Tahiti as the owner did not or could not make the passage back and wanted nothing more to do with her. Tonina like Pau Hana and Galatea are yachts build to commercial scantlings with yacht trim and layout so to speak. As such they are way light and are not setting on their working lines so they scream for trim ballast. In reasonable conditions the owner never feels or realizes this but you really can’t add too much weight to these hulls. I’ve seen 10k pounds loaded on the aft deck of Tonina and if the boot top showed it nobody saw it.

Back
Top Bottom