An Anchor Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something else worth considering in all this anchor talk - sort of puts it in perspective and helps explain why most folk are still happy with whatever they use, and that is….
There are some places and conditions it is ridiculous to even consider anchoring in, and I'm not just referring to the bottom type.

We automatically exercise our survival instinct in these situations, and change our plans accordingly. We exercise our seamanship to avoid unnecessarily testing fate…and our anchor..by subjecting them to extreme conditions, and most of us get it right, most of the time.

Something else worth considering in all this anchor talk - sort of puts it in perspective and helps explain why most folk are still happy with whatever they use, and that is….
There are some places and conditions it is ridiculous to even consider anchoring in, and I'm not just referring to the bottom type.

We automatically exercise our survival instinct in these situations, and change our plans accordingly. We exercise our seamanship to avoid unnecessarily testing fate…and our anchor..by subjecting them to extreme conditions, and most of us get it right, most of the time.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

My conversion to the Sarca EX-CEL is complete. Now all it needs is some serious anchor dunking. If anyone doubts the seriousness of this anchor, come take a look!

Attachments

• Sarca Ex-cel 1.jpg
    Sarca Ex-cel 1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Sarca Ex-cel 2.jpg
    Sarca Ex-cel 2.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Sarca Ex-cel 3.jpg
    Sarca Ex-cel 3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 94
My conversion to the Sarca EX-CEL is complete. Now all it needs is some serious anchor dunking. If anyone doubts the seriousness of this anchor, come take a look!

How many lbs??

Art,
Look at the size of the bricks! It's huge. Must be 80lbs.

What....no polished stainless? I still want it.

How many lbs??

30 kilos so about 66 lbs.

When you see the subtle details of the construction, it is easy to see it is not an ordinary anchor. The tip is stainless so galvanizing doesn't wear. The tip is turned down slightly to keep engaging the bottom, and the tip is weighted to keep it at the proper angle. Unless I miss my guess this thing will dig deeply. I hope I don't jerk the bow off Moonstruck.

30 kilos so about 66 lbs.

When you see the subtle details of the construction, it is easy to see it is not an ordinary anchor. The tip is stainless so galvanizing doesn't wear. The tip is turned down slightly to keep engaging the bottom, and the tip is weighted to keep it at the proper angle. Unless I miss my guess this thing will dig deeply. I hope I don't jerk the bow off Moonstruck.

Looks real good Don! Guessing in a BIG Blow... could cause excitement!

As many of you know this time of year even mostly all year I am a moving target. Can't stop too long as they will catch up with me.:D Among other places I can be traveling between homes in TN and GA, the boat in FL, and a mountain cabin (especially this time of year) that is mostly off the grid. The cabin doesn't even have cell service available.

Rex and Joy have been a pleasure to deal with in all this. I was guessing where I would be. I had the cardboard template sent to the boat, but had to leave. Took about a month to get back. Had some credit card problem when the fraud dept. got hold of it and turned down the charge. Ran that down. I don't know how they felt about all this, but it took a few months to get this settled. Ausies are the best.

I just hope they can find away to make this anchor available in the states. Whether is is shipping large quantities from Aus or licensing a manufacturer here. (if they could make the same quality).

Thanks Rex and Joy for putting up with me over this process. All's well that ends well.

Hopcar alert!!!!!

Parks, you need to come up to FP to take a look at the Sarca. Someone needs to be distributing this in the states.

When does the anchor loaner program begin?

When does the anchor loaner program begin?

That's a good idea. Maybe Parks will buy a few to rent out. By the way, I think the #6 Sarca Excel would be perfect for your boat.

Great choice Don. Although all I have to go on is Aussies waxing poetic about its holding and the videos, the Excel has always seemed to me to be one of the best anchors ever made. I love my Ultra, but wouldn't hesitate to have an Excel, so I commend you for getting one here to evaluate.

One feature of this hook you can be happy with (in addition to staying put) is that it looks like it will do the least damage to the sea bed of any design. Slices right through as it dives and doesn't create a big furrow.

Great choice Don. Although all I have to go on is Aussies waxing poetic about its holding and the videos, the Excel has always seemed to me to be one of the best anchors ever made. I love my Ultra, but wouldn't hesitate to have an Excel, so I commend you for getting one here to evaluate.

One feature of this hook you can be happy with (in addition to staying put) is that it looks like it will do the least damage to the sea bed of any design. Slices right through as it dives and doesn't create a big furrow.

Carl, you are right about environmental damage. That was a consideration. We have some very sensitive areas in Biscayne Bay, the Keys and Bahamas. This should work very well for that. I have been using a Delta because of this. The plow and convex anchors may not hold as well in mud, but it is a real problem getting the mud off in the Chesapeake and river bottoms.

I will still have a Danforth back up. I haven't decided whether to keep the 44# Delta on the second roller. I will have to see how the Sarca fits up.

Carl, you are right about environmental damage. That was a consideration. We have some very sensitive areas in Biscayne Bay, the Keys and Bahamas. This should work very well for that. I have been using a Delta because of this. The plow and convex anchors may not hold as well in mud, but it is a real problem getting the mud off in the Chesapeake and river bottoms.

I will still have a Danforth back up. I haven't decided whether to keep the 44# Delta on the second roller. I will have to see how the Sarca fits up.
I think you'll find it will hold really well in mud because there is no impediment to it diving.

However, and as good an anchor as it is, you will never be able to put your make up on in the morning using it as a mirror like I can with my Ultra.

So there.:thumb:

Keep that Danforth handy and ready to deploy! See my comments on the Chesapeake thread. The non-roll bar Sarca looks like a fine tuned Delta from the pics. Now that you have seen them both side by side in person, what key differences do you observe ?

Keep that Danforth handy and ready to deploy! See my comments on the Chesapeake thread. The non-roll bar Sarca looks like a fine tuned Delta from the pics. Now that you have seen them both side by side in person, what key differences do you observe ?

The EX-CEL is much heavier with thicker metal all the way around. The point has a slight turn down. There is more surface area with some flat wings around the edges of the "plow". It has a little different "attitude". I think this and the weight will make it bury deeply. I have anchored many times in the Chesapeake with both the Danforth and the Delta. Neither has dragged, but have started the engines in some thunder storms in case they did.

I believe in having more that one type of anchor aboard. There are many grassy areas that a plow type anchor does a much better job of penetrating.

Our next cruise is planned to be down to Biscayne Bay and the Keys. A lot of sand and coral rock down there. Should be interesting. Just waiting for the heat to break.

Last edited:
Is it the same physical size?

No. Slightly larger. By the chart the next size down would have worked, but Rex said let's go a size up for a little better holding. The Delta is 44#. The Sarca 66# (30 kilo). It is a number 6 Sarca.

In the picture it is about 43" from floor to eye.

I woulda stuck w the 44lb weight Don. But it would be hard to argue w Rex and perhaps stupid too.

I think the Super SARCA is Rex's crown jewel.

So put me on the exchange list for a 20 to 25lb Super SARCA.

Rex,
What was the SARCA like before it was "Super"?
HaHa the salesman in you will come out and say it's always been super.
My stupid question.

Somebody better start carrying them on this side of the pond. I plan a complete revamp of my foredeck layout next year and one of those Aussie hooks is going on.

Was the import fairly painless Don?

Somebody better start carrying them on this side of the pond. I plan a complete revamp of my foredeck layout next year and one of those Aussie hooks is going on.

Was the import fairly painless Don?

Craig, the import was painless for me. Joy took care of the shipping and tariff stuff. It's the air freight bill that is a little tough. If Rex could send over by ship in pallet loads it should get reasonable.

Craig, the import was painless for me. Joy took care of the shipping and tariff stuff. It's the air freight bill that is a little tough. If Rex could send over by ship in pallet loads it should get reasonable.
I looked into that when I was trying to put together a joint order a couple of years ago. I cannot remember what the cost was per anchor, but it wasn't too onerous. You just need to combine orders, then Rex can palletize and ship by sea to a common port. From there, depending on weight they can be freight forwarded to recipients outside the area.

What is needed is for someone to pick up distribution, and I can't quite see why someone hasn't.

Too bad somebody with oh say a marine supply store in the USA couldn't work a deal with Rex. :whistling:

Too bad somebody with oh say a marine supply store in the USA couldn't work a deal with Rex. :whistling:

Oh...I can't imagine who that might be. It should be someone who is poised to take advantage of the upcoming Panamax ships that will be bringing a lot of Australian and far east cargo to the deeper dredged Atlantic Coast ports like Miami.:popcorn:

Maybe even someone who has a dock behind their shop and can serve good Cuban coffee while your new Sarca is being loaded on your boat!

Ok, Ok, I'll look into it. I think Rex and I spoke some time ago. I suggested he talk to Imtra Corp. as they already import marine supplies from Oz and NZ. They are also set up for wholesale distribution. I suspect you would need to bring them in by the container load to make it cost effective. That's a lot of anchors.

Many years ago my Dad was the first to bring Whale pumps into the US. After we got them started, Imtra took over importing them. Now Whale has their own US operation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom