New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm done with primer & bottom coat. There's nothing left I have to do to the boat before I flip it. Probably a couple of weeks till that happens. Can you contain your excitement? :rofl:

I am on edge.I won't have anyone around to help with the flip.I saw a guy on Iboats flip a glasser by himself.It can be done.

Ok, now before you jump down my back about the anti-fouling on the bottom I just want to say I contacted the mfgr and told them what it was I intended to do. They said it will be fine. I'll have to abrade it with a scotchbrite pad & recoat before it goes in the water. I did my homework on that point.[/rant]

spacer.gif
img_256575_1_804db0e3b4b6705f17c8ad947871b15c.jpg

spacer.gif
img_256575_3_58c7fea58098aed30e3f580354661f4a.jpg

The boat is horribly out of level from 3 yrs of sitting on cement blocks. I'll mark the waterline etc. once it's flipped and re-leveled.

There's a couple more pics on the the web log: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/pics ... mised.html

Good job Rick.I knew there had to be a way to do the anti-foul without having to wait till the last minute.

Ok, now before you jump down my back about the anti-fouling [/URL]

I'm not sure anyone is bothered enough to "jump" on you, or anyone for that matter, for going against the advice given, After all, it's your boat to do as you please. That's one of the perks (amongst the many negatives) of building it yourself

I've learnt this site is about advice sharing. It's up to you to decipher what is relevant to your project, timeframe or budget.

I m all for going against the grain and looking outside the box for another way of doing something but I have learnt that a collective group of Experience like this site has, speaks volumes over a seller (and in some cases the manufacturer) of a product. No one here gets paid or receives a kickback from selling a product or has a vested interest in seeing a product work or fail. I have found most people on here (including me) provide advice or recommend a product because they have been down the same road or have used the product they recommended or have seen the downside to the way something is done.

Saying things like "So if you're going to get all huffy and tell me I have no idea what I'm doing that's fine, everyone's got an opinion and is entitled to it and I will assume you know more about this particular product than the mfgr does" really comes across poorly and makes people not want to help or contribute.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Saying things like "So if you're going to get all huffy and tell me I have no idea what I'm doing that's fine, everyone's got an opinion and is entitled to it and I will assume you know more about this particular product than the mfgr does" really comes across poorly and makes people not want to help or contribute.
I tried to redact my comment but couldn't. I was just a little frustrated. I'd been torn a new one by a few so called experts on some other forums & Facebook by just mentioning putting it on this early. Not just once or twice but a couple dozen times (not on here though).

We're a pretty friendly bunch here on TF. That's is until ya nasty and then you can expect everyone to T off on ya for being a nob :).

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Started rigging up the Gin Pole. I updated our blog but to keep it short here it is in a nutshell.

spacer.gif
img_257144_1_34afea4cd1a4678523abcbd1969c05d5.jpg

6 X 6 to transfer weight to the ground. Rigging is almost all 1/2" hardware. Lifting power comes from a 2500lb 12V winch with 1/4" cable. Dragging the rolling frame sideways will be with a small hand winch like you find on a trailer.

I used 1/2" u-bolts. The upper one is for the load. The lower one is for the ratchet straps that'll hold the pole in place.

spacer.gif
img_257144_3_9a6016df6e9b2093906f325ffb1e279a.jpg

Rest of the details if you're interested are on our blog: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/gin- ... gging.html

Bringing in the lumber to build the rolling frames this afternoon.

Standby.

I'm off to read this adventure in flipping hulls. :lol:

Gin Pole went up a lot easier than I thought it would. :thumb:

spacer.gif
img_257439_1_aa711883b594025225a260514cbcdc76.jpg

Used the electric winch I rigged into the ride of the shed to lift it into place. I thought it might be a two man job but managed it on my own. Just kept running from side to side as I lifted it a few feet at a time. Worked flawlessly.

spacer.gif
img_257439_3_78f45999fcdd577c232d5f0d70d46ec6.jpg

Web log updated with a lot more pics & details: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/lot- ... ought.html

Way to go Rick.That gin pole looks to be pretty substantial piece of wood.

Rick I'm amused by your expression "flip it".

Is that a way of making light of an operation that you consider daunting?

That would be the case w me. I built a 28' plywood boat and just got about 10 guys together and "flipped it". HaHa but it was very light.

Good luck and be safe.

Rick I'm amused by your expression "flip it".

Is that a way of making light of an operation that you consider daunting?

That would be the case w me. I built a 28' plywood boat and just got about 10 guys together and "flipped it". HaHa but it was very light.

Good luck and be safe.

Thanks for looking in Eric. I consider pretty much anything that has to be done to build this boat as 'daunting." :eek: Flipping it over is just 'nuther one of those lil' challenges to be bested. After much research and considering all my options this one seemed the best for turning it in a tight space. I was lucky to have found a builder who had done it this way so I followed his lead.

Boat Yard 26

It's so tight I don't think I could get 10 guys in the shed. But I could use Ben to come over, he can lay down on the floor so if it falls his body can cushion the blow! :rofl:

Thanks for looking in Eric. I consider pretty much anything that has to be done to build this boat as 'daunting." :eek: Flipping it over is just 'nuther one of those lil' challenges to be bested. After much research and considering all my options this one seemed the best for turning it in a tight space. I was lucky to have found a builder who had done it this way so I followed his lead.

Boat Yard 26

It's so tight I don't think I could get 10 guys in the shed. But I could use Ben to come over, he can lay down on the floor so if it falls his body can cushion the blow! :rofl:

Where's Tenner when ya need him. :lol:

Installed the 2500 lb winch on the Gin Pole. Batteries for the remote were DOA so had to go running around for them as well as replacing the bench vise I broke.

spacer.gif
img_257735_1_bd05d0896c3f5bc6a8cce69da38ed087.jpg

Carpal tunnel is acting up. Might have to slow down a bit for a day or two.

I was running over the flipping scenario in my head over and over again last night, watching vids on Youtube, the animation I made and looking at a few blog sites when I realized I missed something really important. It took awhile but I figured it out.

spacer.gif
img_258209_1_ef9d3fdc41b1a15a19d3a6a38e6f344a.jpg

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/ooop ... oblem.html

Hey Rick.You could build a round corner on your framing, and let the weight of the hull roll itself over, while you let out the line and lower it back down.I've seen it done that way before.

Hey Rick.You could build a round corner on your framing, and let the weight of the hull roll itself over, while you let out the line and lower it back down.I've seen it done that way before.
Got that covered Ben. Still have to get it up past 45 degs for gravity to take over. I think we'll just have 'nuff to do it. If not I'll wedge Peter under there with a 2 x 4 to prop it up! :popcorn:

Got that covered Ben. Still have to get it up past 45 degs for gravity to take over. I think we'll just have 'nuff to do it. If not I'll wedge Peter under there with a 2 x 4 to prop it up! :popcorn:
:thumb: :lol:

Starting to assemble the rolling frames around the hull. It's going together pretty much as I figured it would.

spacer.gif
img_258480_1_cbaa2d5bda0c57fcefdc00d1d9df8299.jpg

spacer.gif
img_258480_3_9a729e695b02e7ec3a18ff584683ab26.jpg

The forward most frame will be a bit more involved. It doesn't fall on a form so I'll have to build one in as I go. A lil' wee lunch break then back at it.

Standby.....

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/lott ... orkin.html

How much is a round trip ticket from South Carolina to your boat shed?

14963888062_43223e2171_b.jpg

Are you planning to leave the rolling frames in place while your lay in the bulk heads and stringers?

How much is a round trip ticket from South Carolina to your boat shed?
Winter is fast approaching. You might want to stay where it's nice and warm!

A vacuum pump eh? Nice. Is that for your project?

Are you planning to leave the rolling frames in place while your lay in the bulk heads and stringers?
Yup. That'll be pretty much the only thing holding it upright until I can get some decent boat stands (bought or made).

Hey Ben.

I'll call your vacuum pump!

img_258669_0_5af34229d1f227f0da9c1f35bce124d8.jpg

And raise you one vacuum generator! :rofl:

img_258669_1_62d85dffffbceaf66a5c83eb0940cbdf.jpg

Winter is fast approaching. You might want to stay where it's nice and warm!

A vacuum pump eh? Nice. Is that for your project?

I took out a huge raccoon with the front of my Cavalier, when I was in the mountains.Pushed the AC condenser back into the radiator and cracked the core.It also bent the front tie bar,broke the lower air damn,trashed the bumper,corner marker light,and busted the rubber out of the lower engine stabilizer.It was a bloody mess all under my car.The vacuum pump is to pull a vacuum on the AC system to remove any humidity that made it in while replacing the condenser.I'm also replacing the accumulator,all O rings,compressor,and orifice tube.Just about a whole new AC system.I can also check for leaks with the vacuum pump.Pull vacuum and shut off the manifold gauge valves and let it sit for 30 minutes.If it looses vacuum,I have a leak and have to fix it.I may use the VP to make some parts for my boat and my motorcycles.

Yup. That'll be pretty much the only thing holding it upright until I can get some decent boat stands (bought or made).

I like DIY cradles to hold the hull in position while everything is being glassed in.My boat,being built on frames,I'll probably knock together some square wood blocks to hold it up off the ground.It's going to have a nearly flat bottom except the first 1/4 will be a V entry bow.

Oh yeah,my car was built in Canada,and that's where most of the replacement parts were either made or purchased from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom