Adventuresome Al

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPseudonym

Moderator Emeritus
There's never a dull moment rafting with FlyWright.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407692659.592431.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407692709.622891.jpg

The creature arises :)

Fun times with Maholo Moi, FlyWright, Bliss and Astral Blue. Bligh you missed one fun raft up.

Somebodies little Merc took a dip and Al went after it?

No end of good things coming from Al.

Yeah, what's the story?

Al is so much better at painting a story with words than I. Was laughing so hard I'm lucky to have caught some pictures. Counting Mike there where at least 5 forum members present for this swimming demonstration.

There's never a dull moment rafting with FlyWright.

View attachment 31923View attachment 31924

The creature arises :)

Fun times with Maholo Moi, FlyWright, Bliss and Astral Blue. Bligh you missed one fun raft up.

Al is so much better at painting a story with words than I. Was laughing so hard I'm lucky to have caught some pictures. Counting Mike there where at least 5 forum members present for this swimming demonstration.

Hopefully,he will be in here shortly to give us the back story.I have a feeling that I need leave the drink on the table, put on a diaper,because I believe I'm going to wizz myself laughing at you all.:lol:

OK, first of all, I want to say that when you live life on the edge, sometimes you find that you've ventured too close to the edge and a rapid correction is needed. When that rapid correction fails to occur or is inadequate to compensate for the initial error, one must accept that he is going over the edge. :banghead: Then, it's a matter of how you react and compensate to your new-found environment. This is where I found myself while, at the same time, demonstrating the dinghy MOB procedures to many observers. :socool:

At this point I should also point out that although there were many observers, there were absolutely NO rescuers among the many laughing observers. :facepalm: There was, however, one astute dinghy crew member who observed my hand and beer held above the water's surface and given the choice, what did he grab? You guessed it....the beer...thus saving a full cold beer protectively wrapped in a Trawler Forum koozie while letting me sink to the depths of the cold delta waters. Kudos to Al from Petaluma Yacht Club for that beer rescue. :thumb::thumb: (see picture below)

So here's what happened as I can best recall....

Giggitoni and I spent part of the afternoon at the Taste of the Delta fundraiser at nearby Tower Park Marina where we enjoyed great music, food and wine and sangria samples....all in moderation. :angel: When Giggitoni's daughter arrived, we all headed back to our nearby raftup and stood by while Craig and Ed slid into place effortlessly. (Nice job, guys!!)

img_256524_0_ce4bb7035c10c3ca9068a94a0e407521.jpg

Once situated, we visited with the folks while enjoying iced tea and water!!! Several boats were arriving in the same cove and we began to converse with our new neighbors and future friends. Once we realized that we had a collection of 3 Californian boats there (two 34s and a 38), I was invited aboard for show-and-tell. Of course, I'd need a beer for this tour, so I grabbed one for the road, but left it at Al's aft rail near my dink while touring the Californians.

After two great alcohol-free boat tours, I invited the unsuspecting gentlemen aboard FlyWright to see what similarities and differences...not the least of which, apparently, is my shallower swimstep. As I approached my swimstep in my dink, best I can recall, my bow kissed the swimstep, immediately halting my forward motion, just as I was (over)reaching over the side for the swimstep. :eek: Like I said....living life on the edge!!

So in an instant, I went from yachtsman about to show off my floating beauty to weed encrusted, fully submerged swimmer of the deep! Life is like that sometimes, right?

So there I am below the surface enjoying the peace and quiet as my beer is rescued from my hand and thinking, "they are probably worried about my well-being and will be so relieved when I surface safely." WRONG!!! I only wish I had remained below for just a few more moments to enjoy that last peace and quiet!!

I surfaced not to the waiting hands of rescue, but to the flicker of cellphone cameras and the taunting laughter of my potential, yet grossly under-performing, rescuers. Even the 7 year old kid was joining in the shame game. I learned from Chicago politics that when faced with this level of shame and embarrassment, one has a choice....1. deny it, 2. make excuses or 3. embrace and celebrate it! So I embrace it and offer to you the Duke of Dunk, the Sultan of Swim, the Water Warden....

img_256524_1_4a923446c2a8c293d3c7dd5c58adb7aa.jpg

Note the tiny captions illustrating the full beer in the right hand of the rescuer "Petaluma Al" and complete lack of any effort resembling a rescue attempt with the left hand! You can see from my facial expression that this was a stressful and life-changing event for me.

I embrace my stupidity, celebrate my wild side and rest my case, your honor!

Last edited:
Al, I see you didn't lose your sunglasses, but where's the hat? Don't tell me you've lost your trademark pink hat!

Last edited:
In the Club of which I have the misfortune to be Commodore, we have the "Oily Oar" Award for the greatest mess up of the year. Al, you would be right up there. Fortunately, no one saw the dinghy I forgot to make fast go drifting this year.
We also have a "Help!" Award, for the member who most assists another member in need. Hasn`t happened but I guess both could be awarded from one event.

Commodore Bruce, sounds good.

It's important we get a view of Al's dingy MOB lesson from as many angles as possible for better analysis of the procedures he demonstrated. Thanks for the expert instruction, Al! :)

raxbvd.jpg

It is important to note that this MOB event was taken quite seriously by all present. We swiftly decided that no rescue diver could safely deploy as to the lack of waterproof iPhone cases. None of us could risk our phones nor stop laughing long enough to safely put them down. :)

Rolling on the deck laughing like a mad man.I've had my share of MOB moments.I share in the shame game.

Al

When I met you I felt you were guy who went out of his way to bring joy to others, now a couple of thousand miles away I can't stop laughing at your story telling and the whole situation. Thanks for your extreme efforts. I am sure the dunking will be remembered and enjoyed long after any tour of Flywright would have been forgotten.

Did your beer back?

Again, where's your hat?

Did your beer back?

Yes I did get my beer back, Chris. That small token of assistance restored my faith in humanity.

Again, where's your hat?

I guess my reply disappeared in the ethernet due to my poor data connectivity here in Prospect Slough with Giggitoni.

img_257040_0_7f3cb268b745d81eb53ea35bad3bc1f5.jpg

img_257040_1_833abb06541bfcd18cf9ce257bfb1cd8.jpg

Here the jist of what I wrote...

My "pink hat" is reserved for only the most genteel of events. During times between these high brow occasions, it remains safely stored in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar.

BTW, I have been repeatedly advised by the Maine Man that the hat is not pink....it is "breton red". I'm not buying it.

The infamous pink hat was at the moment of Al's aforementioned self baptism hang drying on a caribiner. The apparent victim of a previously undocumented dunking. :)

Occasionally the hat receives a thorough cleaning and is hung to dry in a place of prominence. You were fortunate enough to observe this prominent drying display following its cleansing ritual.

img_257040_2_e23d2cd7cfc36bac08a8ba17aceb976a.jpg

Last edited:

My "pink hat" is reserved for only the most genteel of events. During times between these high brow occasions, it remains safely stored in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar. ..

I suppose Al considers this a "genteel event":

img_257052_0_d40490c9b9fdbb0f4ebd161dd2a47149.jpg

Hat

Mark sounds like a little jealousy in regards to Al's pink hat, so here is one for you..........:angel:

Hey I want one too! :thumb:

Attachments

• Hat.jpg
    Hat.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 109
I saw this cartoon and thought of all you guys taking photos of my misfortune. Had to laugh out loud!

Attachments

• e6edda87-8c7d-418d-adae-3ad41c8d3503.jpg
    e6edda87-8c7d-418d-adae-3ad41c8d3503.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 77
It's swimming time again.

Ray and I are heading out again next month. Anything is possible. :hide:

Once I fell off of a 23 walkaround fishing boat I had, I was also wearing my sunglasses.
the guy with me asked what happened, I said, "My glasses fell in so I dove in for them" he was in awe.
That was before the days of cell phones and other pocket electronics.

Anyone who boats regularly and claims they have never been for an "involuntary swim" is clearly lying. :)

Wifey B: Well, they sort of did right I guess, cause the first thing the authorities ask when they come is "does anyone have pictures on their phone." They scold you if you don't. "Oh no, I don't have any...I was trying to save his freaking life." With a response "It only would have taken you a second to document it all and we'd have visual proof of his demise."

Now, I do have a question? Everyone got their phone out and started snapping. Did anyone take video?

Once I fell off of a 23 walkaround fishing boat I had, I was also wearing my sunglasses.
the guy with me asked what happened, I said, "My glasses fell in so I dove in for them" he was in awe.
That was before the days of cell phones and other pocket electronics.

Steve, would you believe a $5.000.00 pair of hearing aids?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom