Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only because it's gear used in houses and not bought for a boat :)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

I've done the same thing on boats and RVs.Re-purpose household items,new and used, to fill an otherwise expensive undertaking. :thumb:

G'day G'day. How are we all on this fine day? After much deliberation on the issue that Xsbank bought up, I decide to move the pump as opposed to making a guard. In all honesty it was cheaper and easier to move it than make a guard. It didn't cost me anything in materials as I had bits laying around and only took an hour to knock up with my welding setup so it's a win win

Same idea of the last attempt I did except this one will be cut down into the bed and bolted from the top instead of having plates that slide over and bolt through the side.

This new design will allow the pump to sit in front of the engine and not 20ft out to the side, Reducing the belt length by about half I reckon.

Thanks again Xsbank. I Really do appreciate that you bought this to my attention mate!

I'm down at the boat tomorrow so will fit it and take pics

Cheers
Matt

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407481712.820019.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407481734.289022.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407481755.235315.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407481778.797637.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407481803.017899.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407481830.724601.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407481852.463829.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Almost fitted it and ran in to trouble so bought it home for more welding but it'll work out once I get it right.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407583418.499354.jpg

Your moving along great.

I get a lot of interference from my LED's to the point where they kill my FM radio signal. An external antenna fixed the problem. I wish I would have planned for that antenna during the build as its now in an odd location away from the other antennas. The LED navigation lights don't seem to interfere with the vhf, but I here that too can be an issue.

Looking good.

Conall

Your moving along great.

I get a lot of interference from my LED's to the point where they kill my FM radio signal. An external antenna fixed the problem. I wish I would have planned for that antenna during the build as its now in an odd location away from the other antennas. The LED navigation lights don't seem to interfere with the vhf, but I here that too can be an issue.

Looking good.

Conall

Hi mate.
That's interesting to hear about the interference. Have you looked into why it's happening? Would love to hear why. I wouldn't have thought that the LEDs would be putting out interference worth surge on the FM freq. I don't suppose the wiring for the FM radio ran along side the Power for the lighting? I had a similar problem In my car. I was getting feedback though my speakers. Turned out I had run the power cables too close to the RCA leads causing the feedback. I also have experienced a coil pack issue that caused engine noise feedback through speakers. The coil pack fell over on no8 bank and resulted in the issue. I could have just chucked. Transistor on the speakers to cancel out the noise but was good to find the actual fault.

Right well version 3.0 of the raw water pump slider. The pump was twisting on the slider when tension was added ultimately knocking the alignment out of whack so I've had to add some guides for it to keep it straight, as well as a plate to bolt the slider instead of just screwing it.

Hopefully V3.0 will work now.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407672436.112440.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407672486.502985.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407672511.094648.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407672535.927264.jpg

Last edited:
Right well version 3.0 of the raw water pump slider. The pump was twisting on the slider when tension was added ultimately knocking the alignment out of whack so I've had to add some guides for it to keep it straight, as well as a plate to bolt the slider instead of just screwing it.
That's Battleship quality work right there! :thumb:

Hopefully V3.0 will work now.

View attachment 31918
View attachment 31919
View attachment 31920
View attachment 31921

Absolutely the most elegant pump mount I have ever seen.:thumb:

RF interference is common with LED's from what I've read. Something about the frequencies that the LED's operate at. I think some manufacturers can eliminate it, but I don't know for sure and I'm a rookie on this see subject.

Conall

RF interference is common with LED's from what I've read. Something about the frequencies that the LED's operate at. I think some manufacturers can eliminate it, but I don't know for sure and I'm a rookie on this see subject.

Conall

You 12v or 24v mate?

That pump mount should last a long time and hold up well.

:lol:

Well I surely hope so mate. It's welded 10mm Gal steel angle with 4mm Gal steel plate. She's a Heavy little bastard.

Hi all.
Not much to report as I've been away for work. Actually it's been really hectic TBH. At work we had two ships snap their moorings and crash in to bridges and themselves in a really bad storm, then that night I flew to Dampier for a week to help set up the port for a new contract then I was home for the weekend then flew to Sydney for a National conference and flew back home yesterday morning.

I got a call when I was away about how the tarps blew off in the storm and rain was filling my bilge. Well it filled it alright. I went down yesterday and sucked out 1125L of water (45 wet and dry vacuum loads) blah .... Welcome back!

Okay so today I went and fitted the raw water pump V3.0 this morning. Came up pretty good. I'm Glad because I was ready to toss the piece of sh!t if it gave me grief.

I cleaned the bilge and have a couple more little tid bits to do then i'll finish painting.

Cheers
Matt

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408694935.249887.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408694955.412572.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408695006.852755.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408695133.630625.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408695192.041119.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408695242.526484.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408695291.380745.jpg

Yo, Matt

Keep a stiff upper lip mate! It will all turn around! The sun will come out for ya again!

Your chum. Art

Matt, couldn't you run the engine, and cool it by using its raw water intake to suck out the bilge...most of it anyway..?

Matt, couldn't you run the engine, and cool it by using its raw water intake to suck out the bilge...most of it anyway..?

I've already sucked it all out. I did that on Thursday! I used my 25L wet and dry vacuum. Had to empty it 45 times, hence where I got the total from. I wouldn't run that water through my heat exchangers anyway. The saw dust, screws, grinder metal dust and debris will clog up my gear.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Hah! "...saw dust, screws, grinder metal dust and debris...". Keep her clean and you'll be able to use Mr. Peter B's excellent suggestion (Never would have thought of that-thanks).

Hendo, you are too kind! It is sometimes much easier to see things from afar as You can pick out a single tree rather than being baffled by the forest. Sorry it has been so long to reply but I have been out (boating!).

Forgot to mention, the pump looks much better, you will be a lot happier with the new set-up. One small quibble...cough...if the engine mounts sag or you need to align the engine in the future, the pump will be misaligned. Sorry, just saying.

Last edited:
Could you do something like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 296
Hendo:
Nice job, pump mount looks great, don't mess w/ it anymore and move on w/ other projects. I should tell myself the same more often.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Hah! "...saw dust, screws, grinder metal dust and debris...". Keep her clean and you'll be able to use Mr. Peter B's excellent suggestion (Never would have thought of that-thanks).

Keep her clean? Lol sure, once I've finished building it mate. Until then the thought of having anything clean is a dream :)

Hendo, you are too kind! It is sometimes much easier to see things from afar as You can pick out a single tree rather than being baffled by the forest. Sorry it has been so long to reply but I have been out (boating!).

Forgot to mention, the pump looks much better, you will be a lot happier with the new set-up. One small quibble...cough...if the engine mounts sag or you need to align the engine in the future, the pump will be misaligned. Sorry, just saying.

Thanks mate. I will worry about alignment another day

Hendo:
Nice job, pump mount looks great, don't mess w/ it anymore and move on w/ other projects. I should tell myself the same more often.

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm movin on. Spent way too much time on that thing.

I've already sucked it all out. I did that on Thursday! I used my 25L wet and dry vacuum. Had to empty it 45 times, hence where I got the total from. I wouldn't run that water through my heat exchangers anyway. The saw dust, screws, grinder metal dust and debris will clog up my gear.

Yes, Matt, I realise you had already done it the hard way, but now I understand why you could not use the engine raw water circulation to do the same job. Maybe if there is a 'next time'..?

I hope there won't be a next time of course, but it has often occurred to me that having a good Y valve and an accessory side intake into the engine raw water pump, with a bilge strainer at the end of a flexible intake extension, could well be a good extra powerful high volume back up bilge pump, (once the bilge is all cleaned out of course, and not a new idea, I know), but I never got round to it. Setting yours up like that now could pay dividends both for now, if you had a repeat of rain entry, and for later when out on the water..? Just a thought..?

Play nice or not all thanks Peter.

You might have taken me wrong there Matt. I was sympathising about having to suck it out with a wet vac being a pain, but understood why you had to once you pointed out the bilge was full of, debris as well as water.

The other thought re making the engine raw water intake an optional emergency bilge pump is a recognised practice, but one which few ever take the time to set up. I thought now while in the building phase might make that a worthwhile consideration, is all...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom