Diesel engine Lehman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I looked at a 38 trawler today and have a question about the white and grey substance on the back starboard side of the engine any thoughts of what it could be ... I am thinking the engine is leaking oil. !!! And needs dome major engine work ie gasket .,..engine has about 4600 hrs Thanks for your thoughts
Kevin g

I am trying ti figure out how to add a pic to a post

Go to "forum support" or somewhere like that. There is instructions on how to post a picture.

Or send me your phone # (PM) and I'll walk you through it.

Kevlar .... You must be a tough guy.

Here is one pic

[/attach]

image.jpg.
Here is the pic showing the starboard side rear of engine ... What could the white and grey substance ??? Your thoughts ??? Thank you
Kevin g

Greetings,
Mr. K. The "mystery" substances are a goop or sealant put on by the owner to stop an oil pan gasket leak. Could be he didn't know how to tighten the oil pan bolts or was too lazy to do so. In any case, if the bolts are in fact tight, the gasket is dead. Bandaid fixes such as this would have me looking long and hard at other areas of the vessel where shoddy repairs might have been made.

The oil pan gasket was leaking and the owner dabbed some epoxy on to try to patch it. Not particularly difficult to fix- drain the oil, remove the pan, scrape off all of the epoxy, replace the gasket, bolt up the pan. But it is a tedious job.

David

Looks like someone tried to seal a leak from the outside using
some kinds of pastes
Ted

You guys type too fast for me
3 posts while I typed one
Good for you
Ted

The owner seems to be too cheap to properly maintain the boat.

An approach not for the faint of heart. If you have a broker give these instructions to your broker to pass on, if you don't have a broker, tell the seller's broker that:

There are clear signs that the boat has not been maintained and there is a very low likelihood that anyone would buy the boat in this condition, but I am a risk taker. If the seller is willing to pay for a marine survey and an engine survey with the aim of finding out how much it will cost to bring the boat up to decent shape, I may be interested at the right price.

Last edited:
It would appear that there were no less than three attempts at that repair or rather quick fixes. It would also appear that they may be working somewhat but I would suggest a new gasket kit. I would look a lot closer at the exhaust manifold, cooler, zinks, and related items too. It only takes a second to pull the zinks out.
dan

Diesel Engine Lehman

Is that an injector showing in the first picture? If so, that would indicate the goop is trying to hide a head gasket leak, not an oil pan gasket leak. That's a whole different can of worms.

Norm

Yes I believe it to be a head gasket that needs to be replaced ... With that said does anyone have any idea of the cost to replace the head gasket on a ford Lehman engine .. I will certainly get a engine survey .. I need to get some info on costs to to the head gasket so I can bring it to the broker when and if I make an offer .. Thanks for your input
Kevin g

I would just make an offer with the assumption the engine needs to be replaced/rebuilt unless the owner can prove to your satisfaction the engine is fine beyond just a head gasket.

There could be internal issues that fresh oil can be covering up.

So unless you have a series of recent oil tests or he's willing to replace that gasket and put 50 or so hours on the engine with a new oil sample and a good engine survey (which can cost dearly if done correctly).....I would suggest that you just factor in a $15,000 dollar hit to the asking price right off the bat.

If you really want the boat...don't let it stop you...it's just a possible expense down the road we all face one way or another. Even a perfect engine survey doesn't guarantee anything. We all just hate to buy a known probably near term issue.

Head gasket repair = $2,400

If no internal damage

Being the boat is on the hard ... It would be difficult to start the engine and give it a good test to see if any internal parts are effective....I will hopefully talk with the broker and hope that he has had a chance to speak with the owner for some feedback on the engine and the goop ... I will keep you all informed of what is said and if I go further...
Kevin g

Is the boat listed with a broker?
Maybe we could have a web address to it so we can have a look at it.

That gray stuff appears to me to be JB Weld,an epoxy like substance that's supposed to harden into a metal like substance.I've used it on projects.I've never had luck with it.I agree with the others.It seems some serious maintenance issues have been seriously neglected.

attachment.php

Being the boat is on the hard ... It would be difficult to start the engine and give it a good test to see if any internal parts are effective....I will hopefully talk with the broker and hope that he has had a chance to speak with the owner for some feedback on the engine and the goop ... I will keep you all informed of what is said and if I go further...
Kevin g

Sure you can't test it under anything but minor load but running it and getting it warm probably can be done pretty easily.

But in reality....a good mech can pull the head and boro the cylinders and a good oil analysis can tell you something...as long as they know the sample history. I'm sure really good mechs know a lot of tricks...American Diesel may be able to point out some things to check too.

You might discuss replacing those hose clamps with stainless while you are at it. Looks like one is about to go.

Those hose clamps most likely are SS. There are just painted red and perhaps the cheap kind. But time to replace for sure.

Find out what fluid the JB Weld is supposed to be keeping from leaking out from between the head and block. Is it oil, water or both? Also find out if they ever tried re-torquing the head. If it's just a leaky head gasket it's not a big deal to fix. But factor in the cost of a complete job. As in resurfacing the head, valve job, checking the cylinder deck, new or rebuilt injectors, etc.

Lehman's are pretty bulletproof. It's not easy to total F them up to the point you need a total rebuild.

What condition is the rest of the engine space and boat in?

Last edited:
I did find out some info ...as per the owner " several years ago I had the valves ground and the head machined. After doing that there was oil that leaked around the head and the mechanic put the white stuff(which I assume is some sort of cement) to stop the leak,which I thought worked". " I think the engine leaks a small amount of oil from the rear seal "
We'll there is oil mixed with water in the bilge where when I put my finger in it came out with a healthly amount of oil on my finger ... I have been it touch with my diesel mechanic and sent him pics and going to get his thoughts ...The boat is listed for 79,000 for a 1980 cheer man trawler ...any thoughts on asking price ???

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. K. Mr. m is correct. Head gasket NOT oil pan gasket as I thought on my first post. As mentioned, whole different kettle of fish/can of worms. Could be big $$ as suggested. Offer in the neighborhood of $35K to $40K unless the owner addresses the engine goop.
There is some evidence of window/port leakage which is not uncommon in Taiwanese boats so that issue should be checked out as well as the "usual" suspects (fuel tanks etc.). Seems to be a nicely maintained vessel OR just well cleaned up. SURVEY! Oh, and find another mechanic other than the one who tried to "patch" the leak.

Does the vessel have any redeeming features? Assume the vessel needs a repower/rebuild at $10 to 20K and a full season lost. Go for it if you like hassles and frustration or just keep looking at the hundreds of well tended vessels.

Kevmar, Glad you found this boat first. Had it on my short list but just crossed it off. Good luck with the engine survey, I'll just keep looking. Keep us posted.

BTW, I spoke to the selling broker about 2-3 weeks ago and asked about the hours on the engine and was told that engine hours were unknown. A few days later got an e-mail stating engine hours were 5500. Might want to consider that.

IMO you need some expert local opinion and a survey before making any offer that you will regret. You don't seem very familiar with boat stuff and will run into a buzz saw if not careful.
You were smart to come here now be smart and find another boat

I don't have the warmest feeling on this one. Don't know too many people would pay for a valve job/labor and then accept that mess of a "repair". And it doesn't stop there, who knows how many systems are in disrepair. Think the boating version of the movie money pit.

Back
Top Bottom