batteries and heart disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghost

Guru
4 golf cart batteries on the dock, 4 more to go, plus one 8D which I don't even know how I'm going to get out.

Last time I did this I think I was still in my 30's.

For the rest of you old farts around here, have you learned any tricks to either avoid or differentiate a heart attack from the general pain that results from pulling these things out of the bilge?

I still have to haul ten new batteries back down too.:banghead:

I paid a couple of young guys to haul the old batteries out and the new batteries in. Well worth the $200.

Hmmmmm, these suckers are like 70 pounds a piece. Anybody near Anacortes know of a good place to get rid of them? I mean, does anybody buy these for the lead value without having to drive to Seattle?

70*8 plus another 130 or whatever the 8D weighs. Probably close to 700 pounds.

Rusty, its well before noon, I can't find any young guys right now.

Greetings,
Mr. g. "Rusty, its well before noon, I can't find any young guys right now." Go to the local liquor store.

Ghost, can't help with lifting but we were charged a 60$ core charge for each 8D which was refunded when we brought in the old batteries. Neatly solved the disposal issue for us.

As to the young lads, if its before noon you might find the odd one who hasn't gone to bed yet but unlikely they will require more beer so you may need a different angle.

I watched one ole' feller stick his old batteries in an old cooler. He then wrapped that in a moving blanket, tied his aft winch to the cooler and hauled it up a plank onto the after deck. The yard crew came over with a fork truck and hauled them away.

I asked if he needed any help and he just pooh pooh'd me away! ;)

Rule one of a battery project: line up the muscle providers first.

:thumb: I have three daughters which means I have three son in laws. I just call my daughters and say I need some help and voila!!!

Last time I changed out 800 or so lbs of Pb North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes did it for me. Great price, quick and strong!

30 cents a pound in Bellingham. The scale said my back hurt 758 pounds worth. I have the new batteries on board, but still hanging out in the galley. I'll put them down in the bilge tomorrow after I get everything cleaned up. Tonight I'm going to be busy holding my easy chair down

I'm trying agms this go round. My first impression is that 90 pounds a battery is noticeably more capacity than 70. Sitting here tonight, with absolutely no dc power running on the boat, I can really tangibly feel the increase in amp hours. These things are already amazing, not even hooked up. I only wish I could actually move enough to get more Advil.

Intriguing thread name, we should have a prize for the best. (1st,1L used oil, 2nd, 4L...)
More Advil will be the least of your problems if you pop a disc, bent over, lifting 80lbs, in confined space. Take care.

I don't know anywhere you can buy batteries without paying a core charge. Check your receipts. You will want to return the old ones back to where you bought the new ones.

You ever seen those gorillas that come to change truck and RV tires? A hundred dollar bill would likely have them easily moved. I bet they could easily curl them if they had a handle. Heck, I can easily do 50s. Seriously call a truck tire service.

Last edited:
4 golf cart batteries on the dock, 4 more to go, plus one 8D which I don't even know how I'm going to get out.

For the rest of you old farts around here, have you learned any tricks to either avoid or differentiate a heart attack from the general pain that results from pulling these things out of the bilge? :

Come on Mr. P. . . Call Crazy Mary, she'll send Jerry down to help you right out. I'd help you, but this a car show weekend!! Ha Ha

Core charges

I don't know anywhere you can buy batteries without paying a core charge. Check your receipts. You will want to return the old ones back to where you bought the new ones.

I bought Optima AGM's on Amazon - free shipping, no core charge, no sales tax and best price!

In and wired. Fisheries supply had the best price, beat amazon. We share an account between a few of us boaters and have gotten some really good pricing.

Larry, I didn't tell crazy Mary I was in town as I did not want to risk not getting the project done!

It's nice having the galley cleared, I can even open the fridge. I have 12 volt power and can finally take a shower and use the heads. If only I could move that far.

I have to run into town to get two bolts to hook up the starting batts. Then I have to locate the magic screwdriver with the magnetic end and reprogram three alternator regulators. But literally, all the heavy lifting is done.

What`s a "core charge"? A refundable deposit? Money you get back so you don`t dump old batts and pollute?

Last time I did this I think I was still in my 30's.

For the rest of you old farts around here, have you learned any tricks to either avoid or differentiate a heart attack from the general pain that results from pulling these things out of the bilge?

I still have to haul ten new batteries back down too.:banghead:

I've "surrendered" to my age and now hire younger/stronger men for such tasks.

What`s a "core charge"? A refundable deposit? Money you get back so you don`t dump old batts and pollute?

The last sentence. A financial incentive to turn in the old battery rather than dumping it. Of course the downside is that at time you just want to buy a new battery rather than replace an old battery, so that makes it cost more.

Core charges are not supposed to be about politics. If you buy a new starter, a rebuilder wants your old one for its "core", because there is a lot more money in refurbishing an old unit than building a new one. Plus at the point of sale, you have identified an individual with the exact unit you would want to replace in your inventory. These kinds of core charges make sense.

For an outfit that sells a lot of items that get shipped to the Alaskan fishing fleet, it would make zero sense to require the purchaser to ship that much weight in batteries in two directions, just to satisfy a core charge when the old ones would be snapped up by a local scrapper at the destination, processed and handled in bulk.

Those of you paying 60 bucks a battery core, fully three times what it's worth, are not paying core charges, no matter what they call it. It sounds like you are voting wrong and paying some kind of regulatory social engineering fee.

Dumping you say? When I can get a check for hundreds of dollars for one load of batteries, I guarantee you that not only are people not dumping these things, any old dumps of batteries are in the process of disappearing all by themselves. There has been such a market for scrap metals, the scrapper I went to requires photo identification, wants the make and model of your vehicle and snaps a pic of your license plate. Trust me, dumping is not a big risk.

I suppose a retailer could risk the sale betting that an artificially high core fee will get the old battery. They really want these things. But that would be pathetically short sighted in missing sales of batteries without cores.

Um, the official Florida explanation goes "This is a state “core charge” to discourage people from trashing vehicle batteries. You pay this fee only if you don’t turn in your old battery." (Pinellas County, Florida, website).

A lot of lead mines have been shut down in the US and deemed a health hazard to the environment and employees.Now the core charge is to cover buying lead plates from another country or to recover the lead from the old batteries to be melted down into new plates.The plastic can also be recycled as well.I ran a polymer shreder and densifier that recycled different plastics back into popcorn like balls that were ran through and extruder (that I also help run) to make fresh clean pellets for manufacturing.I'm not sure this helps at all with cost,but it helps with raw material supplies.The company I worked for was Industrial Polymer Recovery Co/Corp.

Back
Top Bottom