Thread: Solar system???
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #58
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasonw View Post
I went back and created a chart from the Wh/day log file out of our TriStar MPPT controller. Also noted I have another Ah graph that includes about 18mo of data, a full cruising season + a major part of a 2nd one. Here are the two graphs:

Note the Ah one includes the predicted output as reference. For a bit more info on our experience with Solar panels, these graphs came from here:

mv.VikingStar: Solar

And Delfin, the average daily Wh output from our 480W (2x-240w) total of panels in 2013 was:
Apr: 1,410-Wh / day
May: 1,880-Wh / day
June: 2,194-Wh / day
July: 2,502-Wh / day
Aug: 1,695-Wh /day
Sept: 1,019-Wh / day

Refer to the above link for details on our setup.

Because we are away from the dock so much out of a year the panels are a no brainier. Doing everything again I likely would have doubled up on the panels, cut our house battery size in half - and perhaps forgo the DC generator... But the real answer comes down to individual usage patterns. For me, the best part of the above graphs is how the modeled/predicted output matched well the actual measured results. With tools out there it is easy to model any potential setup located about anywhere in the world.

-al-
Again, thank you so much for objective data. This is most compelling information. We use around 5 kw per day, mostly because we run Delfin pretty much like a condo on water. No problem if we are moving, but I have to recharge after 36 hours on the hook. I am pretty sure we could fit slightly more than you have room for over our pilot house and it looks like we would potentially get half of what we use from solar, and that is nothing to sneeze at. And, if we made an effort to conserve (not our strong suit), we might be able to get closer to breakeven. The fact you are in the PNW where we are is a huge advantage in the utility of your data, so again, much appreciated.