westerbeke 16KW siphon for coolant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
The siphon for my coolant at the radiator cap is not working and I assume plugged up. I have removed the hose and ran a wire through but did not seem to get a place for it to come out. I took some photos and saw the very small hole on one of the pictures in the cap inside lip. I ran a wire in it and got maybe 3/8 of an inch in. Should the coolant flow with the cap off through this hole if it is above the opening? Is there a way to clean the path and is this hole the hole I should be working with. Thanks
IMAG0814.jpg

IMAG0815.jpg

IMAG0818.jpg

Common problem. Unthread the brass elbow and try to clear out from that end.

I have used a wire about 1/16" inside a piece of 1/4" polyflow as a guide, with the wire chucked to a cordless drill. That way you can curve the thing a little to follow the factory hole. Beat a little flat on the tip of the wire and you have a paddle bit.

Thanks Ski, I will go out and try it.

Ski, the elbow was blocked solid. got everything cleared out of it. Looking into the flange I had alot of stuff which I cleaned out. But now I am down to a substance that looks like solid solder. Could the previous owner had this all solder shut? maybe to seal a leak at the flange. I have been trying to clean out to match the hole on the inside of the flange. Should this hole go straight through?

Some of the holes are drilled off center from the threaded hole. If using the wire trick, try going in from the pressure cap hole.

You may just have to drill a new hole. When the neck was installed or replace it sounds like they blocked the hole or forgot to drill one in the neck of the cap fitting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom