Find My Boat - $5,000 REWARD!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, worse damage to Coot's hull has been collecting rubber streaks from docks (readily removable with acetone.)

img_255388_0_45c2ebab2c6b0a281b83a5bac3b7ecc6.jpg

You should read the blog. Her first captain decided to swim to shore and got swept away by the current. She had to rescue him. She fired him at the next fueling stop. Pretty funny.

I think she has shown good judgement so far.

I hope the kids seasickness does not become a huge issue. It can totally ruin a good plan.

Well, ya gotta admit, they are living and learning. It was pretty dumb of the Captain to swim to that Island, but most of us remember Capt. Ron, the movie. There's all kinds of people in this business. At least it was eventful.....something the kids will speak about for a long time.

You should read the blog. Her first captain decided to swim to shore and got swept away by the current. She had to rescue him. She fired him at the next fueling stop. Pretty funny.

I think she has shown good judgement so far.

I hope the kids seasickness does not become a huge issue. It can totally ruin a good plan.

You sure he wasnt trying to just get away..at any cost?

Drowning might be a acceptable alternative to G.G. and her five kids..

Hollywood:socool:

You sure he wasnt trying to just get away..at any cost?

Drowning might be a acceptable alternative to G.G. and her five kids..

Hollywood:socool:

I was thinking it.Glad you're the one that said it. :lol:

C'mon guys...I think it's time to man up and admit the lady was genuine after all, and give credit where credit is due. She just made a bit more of a meal of the build-up process than some might make is all...

C'mon guys...I think it's time to man up and admit the lady was genuine after all, and give credit where credit is due. She just made a bit more of a meal of the build-up process than some might make is all...

X2

Yup - She deserves full credit. Both for going through with her dream, and for some great decision making skills she is showing during her first cruise.

Many of us wouldn't have the balls to fire the captain a couple days into the cruise.
It takes more than testosterone to handle a big boat.

Well, ya gotta admit, they are living and learning. It was pretty dumb of the Captain to swim to that Island, but most of us remember Capt. Ron, the movie. There's all kinds of people in this business. At least it was eventful.....something the kids will speak about for a long time.

I am so happy I grow up with a normal mom.......

Last edited:

Wow! That's pretty harsh. I bet a lot of kids would give anything to have a Mom with a sense of adventure who wants to share a better life with kids she didn't give birth to.

Wow! That's pretty harsh. I bet a lot of kids would give anything to have a Mom with a sense of adventure who wants to share a better life with kids she didn't give birth to.

True, but it's a funny post.

Wifey B: What the freak is that, a normal mom? I mean I would have loved to have any kind of parents approaching normal. Ones that didn't make me feel I had to run away the night before I turned 16.

I would consider normal to be loving and as crazy and wacky as I think Gavin is, not for one moment do I ever doubt her love for her kids. Isn't that so obvious? It's one thing to insult her craziness or zaniness but to insult her as a mom even in this way is really sad.

Just saying, I would have given anything and so would my hubby have to have had a mom just as off her rocker but as loving as Gavin. Something tells me her kids may not call her normal in that they know she's different but that they think she's just the most wonderful mom there is.

I know you probably didn't mean the comment as negative as we're interpreting it, but any comment about her motherhood is pretty harsh. Perhaps you mean you are happy to have had a more traditional mom, and, if so, that's fine.

We do a lot of work with an orphanage and omg what so many of those kids would give to have had a mom like her. If you had a good mom or are one or are married to one don't ever take that for granted. Sorry you hit a raw nerve with me, one that will never completely go away for me or my hubby. We don't either one have happy childhood memories. I know Gavin's kids do, even if it's "My mom was so crazy, we...." kind.

Thinking that myself. I'm still stuck behind a keyboard, in an office, and dreaming/planning of the day I untie the last line binding me to the shore. She's accomplished this in a manner most wouldn't recommend (has it changed any one's beliefs in guardian angels yet?)

So, there's some envy, disbelief, and head-shaking going on, at least by me. (Damn yeah, I wish my mum was an adventurous type, god rest her soul; she was AFRAID of the water. Apparently learned to swim at the Coney Island Beach and an undertow got a hold of her.) Anyway, may GG and crew find safe passage to New England. Hopefully no storm, swail, or scalley-wag causing them anything less than bon vent à vous!

Yes, but then those kids aren't boat less sitting behind a keyboard typing about cruising and boating. They are actually doing it and learning things everyday that can't be taught in a normal classroom.

I think some people are just envious and perhaps a little jealous. Not to mention sexist.

If this were a single father, people would be all, "look it what a great thing he's doing. Getting his kids out in the real world. Teaching them life lessons, giving them responsibilities, blah, blah, blah..."

It sort of reminds me of how Julie's name is almost never mentioned in the Atlantic Crossing thread. You might think Rodger was single handling it across as rarely as Julie's spoken of.

Some of you need to man up and give credit where credit is due. This lady had a dream and made it happen. And so far she seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. While dealing with 5 kids.

Last edited:
I'll give credit where credit is due, and it's due for her and what she's done. I'd love to meet GG in person, though I wonder if she might run me batsh*t crazy.

I think some people are just envious and perhaps a little jealous. Not to mention sexist.

If this were a single father, people would be all, "look it what a great thing he's doing. Getting his kids out in the real world. Teaching them life lessons, blah, blah, blah..."

Yes, it's sad. I'm stunned at the amount of grief she has received here. The negative comments say more about the individuals delivering them than they do about GG.

I didn't mean to be negative; some women just run me nuts. I've run more women nuts than I care to remember, works both ways.

Yes, but then those kids aren't boat less sitting behind a keyboard typing about cruising and boating. They are actually doing it and learning things everyday that can't be taught in a normal classroom.

If this were a single father, people would be all, "look it what a great thing he's doing. Getting his kids out in the real world. Teaching them life lessons, giving them responsibilities, blah, blah, blah..."

It sort of reminds me of how Julie's name is almost never mentioned in the Atlantic Crossing thread. You might think Rodger was single handling it across as rarely as Julie's spoken of.

Some of you need to man up and give credit where credit is due. This lady had a dream and made it happen. And so far she seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. While dealing with 5 kids.

Well said, Bill!

There was a thread a while back asking why there are so few female members on TF. Reading some of the comments here, the answer is fairly obvious.

I didn't mean to be negative; some women just run me nuts. I've run more women nuts than I care to remember, works both ways.

Hey, I'm not saying she isn't a little nuts but then any true boater is. So she's in a good club, or sanitarium as the case may be, as far as I'm concerned. :D

She and the kids just made the crossing Ft Meyers to Stuart via Okeechobee Waterway. 5 locks and no paint left behind.

We've (including me) been helping her out over at the Hatteras Owners Forum on a few things. There is a guy with the same model she has.

That's interesting, just a few weeks ago she said she was in Aventura waiting to go from there to Cable Marine in Ft Lauderdale for some work to be done. When asked how the crossing went from Carrabelle, she refused to respond. It is very hard to get any info out of her, including pics of issues, background on the problem. etc.

We've (including me) been helping her out over at the Hatteras Owners Forum on a few things. There is a guy with the same model she has.

That's interesting, just a few weeks ago she said she was in Aventura waiting to go from there to Cable Marine in Ft Lauderdale for some work to be done. When asked how the crossing went from Carrabelle, she refused to respond. It is very hard to get any info out of her, including pics of issues, background on the problem. etc.

George,

I'm not on the Hatteras Owners Forum, so just have her blog to follow her. When she showed up on the Cruiser's Forum I was one of the 1st she talked to and even that far back I believed she would see her plans through. A lot of members there chalked her up as another dreamer, but I thought she was serious from the beginning.

I never questioned her plans.What I questioned was her understanding of what she was trying to get into.I've been aboard large boats,but never personally owned one.I know the perils of boat ownership and just enough about voyaging to know I need to know more.I am glad she is living the dream.She must have a great family to take on her dream and help her make it happen.

Maybe she's gun shy George?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom