princess marina inlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
serenity now
Vessel Make
2006 selene
what is the recommended length of a stern tie in princess marina inlet ??

Princess Louisa Inlet?

I carry a spool of 600 feet of poly, which allows me 300 feet doubled over (so you can retrieve from the boat).

Most people carry a minimum of 2-300 feet of stern line in this area.

what is the recommended length of a stern tie in princess marina inlet ??

If I understand your question, the length of the tie is a result of a number of factors, not a specific length. You don't want to be too close to the wall because when the slack in your chain/rode is stretched in a wind, you hit the rocks. Everyone may have a variation on method, but what I do first, is get a firm set on the anchor based on depth--I never set the anchor with less than 3:1. and other conditions such as anchor type and bottom conditions, depth at flood and ebb, adjacent rocks, other boats etc...Once the anchor is set I run the stern tie ashore and back to the boat and cleat it off. Then I pull the boat in. Neither stern tie or chain/rode should be completely taut nor have a lot of slack. Many anchorages have stern tie rings driven into the rocks. This makes what Ghost said easy--you don't have to go ashore to release the tie. You may find yourself messing with it for a while and you should definitely check it as the tide changes or if a strong wind comes up.

I think a 600' spool is common for the general area. I don't think you need that much for McDonald Island rings though. Not a lot of anchoring there anyways.

Back
Top Bottom