Dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dishwasher?

We haven't had a dishwasher on board, but will have, if we can fit one in! We think our home unit, a Bosch, uses less water than hand washing, and is definitely more sanitary! We had less colds passed around the family when using a dishwasher. Especially true when we had a larger family!

We have a dishwasher (appliance) at home but seldom use it with just two adults and a small puppy. There's no room for one on the boat and if we don't need one at home, we hardly need one on the boat.

It might make sense for a larger boat and more people.

Of course there's a conflict. One law conflicts with the other.
State and local law does not apply in cases where federal law specifically allows some type of action such as ADA. There is a conflict in the 2, however the proprietor is not violating state or local law by fulfilling federal law.
One situation I find perplexing is that I have read that on Lake Champlain that Coast Guard approved sanitation devices such as the Raritan Electro Scan is not allowed (yeah I know ya gotta add brine) by New York. Still there is more, if your y valve is closed, and secured thereby sending the effluent to a holding tank that is still not good enough, the hoses have to be removed, presumably plugged. I would think a local poddy cop would write a ticket to the wrong person (read rich, perhaps attorney) and that would go down in flames. Those sanitation devices are specifically approved for use by the standards set by the Coast Guard. The method for securing the y valve handle, to my understanding, is specified by the Coast Guard, so where does NY get the authority to trump federal law in waters that the Coast Guard has supreme authority.:banghead:

if we don't need one at home, we hardly need one on the boat.

This can be applied to a LOT of creature comforts on the boat. Tools, no, kitchen gadgets, yes. For us in a "small" (35') boat, we have to take a long hard look at each thing we have on board to evaluate if the space it takes up is justified. For us, a dishwasher made the cut and a traditional oven did not.

Mule-In general, federal law trumps state law. However, the general rule is that where federal law regulates an issue, such as waste discharge you mentioned, federal law is considered a base standard and states can enact laws imposing more restrictive, but not less restrictive standards. The classic example is California consistently enacting more stringent auto emissions standards than those set out in federal law.

State and local law does not apply in cases where federal law specifically allows some type of action such as ADA. There is a conflict in the 2, however the proprietor is not violating state or local law by fulfilling federal law.
One situation I find perplexing is that I have read that on Lake Champlain that Coast Guard approved sanitation devices such as the Raritan Electro Scan is not allowed (yeah I know ya gotta add brine) by New York. Still there is more, if your y valve is closed, and secured thereby sending the effluent to a holding tank that is still not good enough, the hoses have to be removed, presumably plugged. I would think a local poddy cop would write a ticket to the wrong person (read rich, perhaps attorney) and that would go down in flames. Those sanitation devices are specifically approved for use by the standards set by the Coast Guard. The method for securing the y valve handle, to my understanding, is specified by the Coast Guard, so where does NY get the authority to trump federal law in waters that the Coast Guard has supreme authority.:banghead:

They don't trump the USCG...the state petitioned the US EPA to make Lake Champlain a "no-discharge zone" in which even treated effluent can not be discharged. There are many no-discharge zones throughout the US...fortunately it is still a small portion of US waterways.

The USCG just approves the device..not the jurisdictions where they can't be used as set by the EPA.

No Discharge Zones by State | Vessel Water Discharge | US EPA

Confusing?.

Naaaah, not in the least??

To me it is less confusing as it is infuriating that "the big picture" is often overlooked to punish small segments of the population that become targeted for political capital.

Yep

To me it is less confusing as it is infuriating that "the big picture" is often overlooked to punish small segments of the population that become targeted for political capital.
y the owing out a straw man.

That is what I was trying to say.....small boats are a target that politicos can attack and make it look like they are actually doing something all the while only throwing out a straw man so only appear to be doing something. Kindda like an earlier poster that was supporting grey water pollution from small boats, pure BS. As I said, stomping piss ants in an elephant stampede.

Mule-In general, federal law trumps state law. However, the general rule is that where federal law regulates an issue, such as waste discharge you mentioned, federal law is considered a base standard and states can enact laws imposing more restrictive, but not less restrictive standards. The classic example is California consistently enacting more stringent auto emissions standards than those set out in federal law.

Here's one to ponder:

There are federal laws outlawing the sale, possession and use of marijuana. A few states have legalized it despite the federal laws. I don't think I have to tell anyone how that's working out.

It's working out great...someone very close to me just went on the medical MJ program and got back from California where it's been prevalent, and out West where it's legal. The states and fed have worked out agreements about possession in general and most people my friend has been in contact with says everything's is going well if you abide by all the laws.

Like all new programs..bumps in the road but for the most part it's a non-issue ounless someone makes it one.

Just like no discharge zones.

Last edited:
I have not seen any reports of massive social unrest, toakers running wild raping their grand mothers. :eek: No more armed conflict than normal. Have you?:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom