Bought a fantail cruiser today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boatpoker

Guru
After almost 20years of living aboard, I sold the boat last fall due to a family situation and became a "dirt people" ........... I just couldn't do it anymore it's not natural so today I bought a boat and will be moving aboard in a few weeks.

2001 Benford 38, Fantail Cruiser. Full displacement, single 50hp Westerbeke gets 7.5knots at 3/4gph. The hull was built by the guys who built PDQ sail and power cats here in Ontario but the interior was never quite finished. An unfinished interior is fine by me cause' I tend to rip things out and do them my way.The hull is foam cored with FRP/polyester and the final exterior layer is FRP/epoxy.

First job is to get a Flagship Marine ac/heating system onboard for the winter and then all new Bomon windows. Nothing much is going to happen until she is shrink wrapped for the winter then I'll start posting photos of my progress.

Attachments

• in water.jpg
    in water.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 250
  • fantail.jpg
    fantail.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Benford 38.jpg
    Benford 38.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 259
She is truly a beauty! Congratulations and enjoy! Post pics as you rework her interior...

Fantail Cruiser Wow!!

That is one beautiful boat, really looking forward to following the interior progress and systems installations. A super efficient boat, very very interesting, please keep us informed as to what your plans are for the living space and energy system.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Good looking boat . Look forward to seeing more .

Oh dear. Everyone knows Jay Benford designs boats that tip over!!!

Great looking boat. (Your avatar boat was nice looking too) Congrats. Sounds like a real find and a fun boat to work on.

What a great find! She is a beaut. Please do keep us in the loop as you do the work.:thumb:

Great looking boat. Like rshirc I too would like to see pictures as you finish the interior.

Great find, Poker! Every once in a while, another Benford design pops up and demonstrates that his design career is not only Florida Bay Coasters. How much does she draw? Neat boat.

Very nice and I may get to see it up close when your done!!! Congrats, did know you sold Isle of Skye, where did she go??

Very nice and I may get to see it up close when your done!!! Congrats, did know you sold Isle of Skye, where did she go??

Isle of Skye has done the great loop and been to Honduras since I sold her. I believe she is now in Florida. Selling her was the only major mistake in anotherwise very lucky life.

Attachments

• anchor Beaufort.jpg
    anchor Beaufort.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 213
Your new fantail doesn't look like it has been named as of yet. What will she be called????

New ride looks great!!

One small flaw, the anchor is too small and not the right type. Oh and I don't think I see enough chain. Just kidding! :lol: ;)

New ride looks great!!

One small flaw, the anchor is too small and not the right type. Oh and I don't think I see enough chain. Just kidding! :lol: ;)

You are absolutely correct ! the entire ground tackle system will be rebuilt over the winter.

I am considering either "Dirt Free" or "Boatpoker"

Any votes ?

My Vote: Boatpoker

You mentioned Flagship Marine and took a look at their website, they make some very nice units I like the idea of all over the counter components that are cheap. If you wouldn't mind could you expand on your experience with them? We may have to replace some units in the mere future.

My Vote: Boatpoker

You mentioned Flagship Marine and took a look at their website, they make some very nice units I like the idea of all over the counter components that are cheap. If you wouldn't mind could you expand on your experience with them? We may have to replace some units in the mere future.

As I lived aboard in winter water temperture that will not support reverse cycle heat I prefer the Flagship units as the heat side is straight electric furnace.
The a/c side is conventional reverse cycle.

In the six years I lived with this system I had to replace two $20.00 relays. The previous owner owned the boat for twenty years and he also only had to replace two relays. I'm a fan !

I just received my quote by email for a 18,000btu system. $2,421.95 for a complete package. .... not a very difficult install.

As I lived aboard in winter water temperture that will not support reverse cycle heat I prefer the Flagship units as the heat side is straight electric furnace.

The a/c side is conventional reverse cycle.

In the six years I lived with this system I had to replace two $20.00 relays. The previous owner owned the boat for twenty years and he also only had to replace two relays. I'm a fan !

I just received my quote by email for a 18,000btu system. $2,421.95 for a complete package. .... not a very difficult install.

Thanks for the info, compare to others are these quieter?

Wonderfull and I like Butt Pucker.

I looked at one of these on the internet several years ago. She was powered by a small BMW engine (I think). I thought it was narrower than 12' though. More efficient than Willy but efficiency isn't Willy's strong suit. Length is golden but w moorage costs what they are 30' is just fine now.

What are your thoughts on railings? Looks much better w/o them but ...
Here's a Willard in Alaska w/o rails or a wood cap rail. Really like the uncluttered clean boats.

Looking fwd to seeing more pics and very pleased to see another good FD boat on the forum. And I'm sure you choose her well.

CHEERS!

Attachments

• DSCF0734 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0734 copy 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Congratulations, a fine looking boat, a great way to get back on the water.

I looked at one of these on the internet several years ago. She was powered by a small BMW engine (I think). I thought it was narrower than 12' though. More efficient than Willy but efficiency isn't Willy's strong suit. Length is golden but w moorage costs what they are 30' is just fine now.

What are your thoughts on railings? Looks much better w/o them but ... ?

Looking fwd to seeing more pics and very pleased to see another good FD boat on the forum. And I'm sure you choose her well.

CHEERS!
With the grand kids, railings are a must .... but one thing at a time, first heat for the winter.

Very nicely styled fantail. Back in the '80's (I think) there were some Ash 34's produced that look very similar. Any connection?

"there were some Ash 34's produced that look very similar."

That's what I saw most likely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom