It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As to the question posed to Dauntless this am about first port of call:

Oh just saw your previous msg.
Flores, Porto das Lajes, 239nm now

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 40.316638 Lon -36.190338

Serveral communications from Dauntless this afternoon:

Just when one thought out was over, it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Winds 240°20kt have quickly built up seas 4-6'
We're rolling more than I like
Lat 40.177892 Lon -35.187148

I've had to make our course more easterly, the problem there is that we'll miss the Azores!.
Now this is one of those times that I actually do look at the fcst

Why now?
Bc for 2 days it had said sw winds at 15 by this afternoon. So now, I have to assume that the on going fcst is also correct on keeping the sw winds up

So the only question now is how will I bite the bullet, so we don't miss em.

I think I may go back to the larger set off birds too.

Wow, tough decisions. He is only 180 nm from his destination but... He should be able to stay ahead of Bertha but he will need to deal with some high winds and seas around Thursday or so from it. Hopefully he is snug in port at one of the Azores islands. bummer...

"That's right, But I only believe his fcsts half the time!
Delorme has a deal with OCENS for my InReach.
I can get text fcst for 24, 48, &/or 72 hrs. "

Interesting based on that it doesn't sound like he is able to take full advantage of OCENS. With OCENS software and an account you can use a SAT phone to batch download all the weather charts and forecasts you want for any given area and display them on a computer.

As to watch keeping, I'd never do a trip that long with just two people if it could be at all avoided. If something goes wrong or someone gets hurt extra hands come in real handy real quick. Plus if it's at all rough it can be hard to get any real sleep.

Unless they are doing 6 on and 6 off watches I'm not sure how they would be getting much sleep even if it's calm. But different people handle that better than others.

I'll bet they sleep real well the first day/night once they hit the dock.

As to watch keeping, I'd never do a trip that long with just two people if it could be at all avoided. If something goes wrong or someone gets hurt extra hands come in real handy real quick. Plus if it's at all rough it can be hard to get any real sleep.

Unless they are doing 6 on and 6 off watches I'm not sure how they would be getting much sleep even if it's calm. But different people handle that better than others.

I'll bet they sleep real well the first day/night once they hit the dock.

I'm must too conservative for that as well, Bill. Sleep. What if there's an injury or illness, then you're down to one. And my other reason is that it would just limit the time enjoying things together with one of you on and the other off. Meal preparation, rest room trips. I've seen too much happen when one thinks it's safe to step away for a bit or one is exhausted and decides to just take a quick catnap in the helm seat while on watch.

Not criticizing Richard, but I just couldn't do it personally.

I'm must too conservative for that as well, Bill. Sleep. What if there's an injury or illness, then you're down to one. And my other reason is that it would just limit the time enjoying things together with one of you on and the other off. Meal preparation, rest room trips. I've seen too much happen when one thinks it's safe to step away for a bit or one is exhausted and decides to just take a quick catnap in the helm seat while on watch.

Not criticizing Richard, but I just couldn't do it personally.

I do not have a problem with two people onboard, sharing the duties.

In open water at 7 knots I also have no problem with leaving the helm and getting a drink, or something from the fridge, or a pee break.

Not much happens all that quickly at 7 knots. And in the dark you cant see anyway.

On long passages, you need to do something to pass the time. Reading a book, watching a movie, or even surfing TF is just fine as long as you're maintaining a good level of situational awareness

Last edited:
I have been following this thread with interest. My wife and I did a similar trip across the Pacific. True, it was on a sailboat but still some things do translate. I wonder why they can't just heave-to under A/P and head into the wind and waves until the weather ameliorates, thus holding position and not running the risk of missing their destination. They might get a little respite from the watch and watch they must be keeping. There's nothing magical about the schedule of 13 days, other than a self-imposed goal. I also wonder if they have the fuel for an alternative destination.

Ian

I have been following this thread with interest. My wife and I did a similar trip across the Pacific. True, it was on a sailboat but still some things do translate. I wonder why they can't just heave-to under A/P and head into the wind and waves until the weather ameliorates, thus holding position and not running the risk of missing their destination. They might get a little respite from the watch and watch they must be keeping. There's nothing magical about the schedule of 13 days, other than a self-imposed goal. I also wonder if they have the fuel for an alternative destination.

Ian

There is no indication of weather conditions that need to be avoided in that manner. In fact, proceeding at speed seems right now to be the most likely means of avoiding any problems.

As to holding position, without much stronger winds than they're encountering, even an idle speed would keep them moving forward some. On the whole the conditions they've dealt with have been quite good.

They have fuel for some alternatives but not enough to go days with no progress. As to an alternative destination at this point, I think we're just talking different islands within the Azores so fuel wouldn't be an issue for them. Missing the Azores seemed somewhat in jest to me as he was commenting that maintaining a heading East would do that, not that he intended or needed to do that. As to bypassing the Azores and proceeding to the mainland, from what I know he probably has fuel to do that barring extreme circumstances but no reason to try.

You're reading something into the weather that I'm just not reading. One post mentioned high winds and seas on Thursday. Well, they're expecting landfall on Tuesday, so will experience any of Thursday's weather from shore.

The weather conditions they've had have been among the mildest and least problematic of the Atlantic crossings I've followed. 20 knot winds and 4-6' seas are nothing that will cause him difficulty, just not as pleasant a ride as he had earlier. Any of us planning Atlantic crossings would love to have nothing worse than that.

This morning, 3am from Dauntless:

Our last night turns out to be our worst night.

Winds had increased to 25 kt from 240°
Which also meant building seas, now about 6'
They're hitting the boat

At 130° off the bow, or 40° astern the beam.
But it became an issue when the birds
To complicated for a 160char text.
I replaced one of the birds and now ok

Lat 39.948885 Lon -33.422792

In open water at 7 knots I also have no problem with leaving the helm and getting a drink, or something from the fridge, or a pee break.

Not much happens all that quickly at 7 knots. And in the dark you cant see anyway.

On long passages, you need to do something to pass the time. Reading a book, watching a movie, or even surfing TF is just fine as long as you're maintaining a good level of situational awareness

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

also...it sounds like the weather is only uncomfortable...not dangerous yet.

This is the real issue about bluewater...often you have to take what you get...this is where the SD...FD discussion can come into play.
I'll leave that to the proper threads.

The majority of sail boats that cross the Atlantic from Europe to the Eastern Caribbean are manned by just one couple. As long as the Krogen's engine runs well the Krogen with a pilot house berth would be much easier on a couple than a sail boat requiring sail adjustments and for someone to be on deck at the helm. The problem for a couple is when things go wrong, injury or mechanical breakdown. Friend doing an open water return from the Eastern Caribbean fell on his back and could not walk or stand up for the remaining three days of the trip. I was doing an overnight through the Mona passage in large seas when the bolts for the pump for my stabilizers sheared off and I had to spend hours being bounced around in the engine room while we proceeded with the wing engine and I did a temporary repair. Worked through my sleep period. Both situations pushed the couples to their limits and these were relatively short hops.

Last edited:
Just now, they're showing

Speed: 9.52 mph

He's booking out.

Still, looks like tonight or tomorrow before landfall.

With regard to the watches, there's not nearly the traffic out there than in-shore or close to shore.

Very interesting Bay Pelican, thanks for sharing your experiences.
Out of curiosity, did they mention how they will return?

The majority of sail boats that cross the Atlantic from Europe to the Eastern Caribbean are manned by just one couple. As long as the Krogen's engine runs well the Krogen with a pilot house berth would be much easier on a couple than a sail boat requiring sail adjustments and for someone to be on deck at the helm. The problem for a couple is when things go wrong, injury or mechanical breakdown. Friend doing an open water return from the Eastern Caribbean fell on his back and could not walk or stand up for the remaining three days of the trip. I was doing an overnight through the Mona passage in large seas when the bolts for my the pump for my stabilizers sheared off and I had to spend hours being bounced around in the engine room while we proceeded with the wing engine and I did a temporary repair. Worked through my sleep period. Both situations pushed the couples to their limits and these were relatively short hops.

More from the crew this morning 8:30 est:

Last night was actually our worse night. I only got a few hours sleep.
Had a problem with a Paravane bird nit tracking straight, but doing some weird circle,

2. A circle, like a pendulum would do. We adjusted the angle of the poles, changed speed, course. No diff.
Finally, pulled older, bigger bird out of lazerret

3.and all was well. But by then it was 03:00 and time for my watch to start.
Had my last piece of SC pecan pie warming in the er.
Man, that was good pie.

In conclusion, I went I've size smaller in the second set of birds and I think they are TOO small, as the boat was rolling more too.

Another failed experiment, but, man, that pecan pie was good. Kept in the freezer so well too.

Since this trip began, Julie and I have never had a sense that we were far from land.
Don't know why.
We'll anchor in the port tonight, go to Marina in a.m.

Lat 39.860468 Lon -32.674155

What you've just laid out is a trip where everything goes along normally. Of course in that case two people, or even one for that matter would be fine. It's not about getting a drink or taking a piss. It's when things go wrong or someone gets hurt that you can suddenly use all the extra help you can get. Add in some sleep deprivation and things can get real interesting real fast.

Now what they are doing on their own boat if fine by me. It's just not the way I would do it if I could avoid it or if I was getting payed to deliver the boat.

Last edited:
With regard to the watches, there's not nearly the traffic out there than in-shore or close to shore.

It's not about traffic. But it always amazes me how you can be in the middle of no where with open water all around and the only vessel that pops up on radar is on a collision course. :)

If fact a bit of traffic can keep your mind focused and help pass the time on watch go faster.

My wife's side has family & friends on Flores near Lajes, Richards problem will be getting into Porto Lajes if the weather and seas are rough. It is a very tiny harbour.

Incidentally, I have been trying the last two days to contact them in Lajes to meet Richard & Julie at the docks with a bottle of champagne from all of us here on TF but have been unable to get through. I even tried the Lajes tourisim/municipal office to pay someone to run down but to no avail. Oh well, I tried but I'm sure the whole Island knows they're coming now.

My wife's side has family & friends on Flores near Lajes, Richards problem will be getting into Porto Lajes if the weather and seas are rough. It is a very tiny harbour.

Incidentally, I have been trying the last two days to contact them in Lajes to meet Richard & Julie at the docks with a bottle of champagne from all of us here on TF but have been unable to get through. I even tried the Lajes tourisim/municipal office to pay someone to run down but to no avail. Oh well, I tried but I'm sure the whole Island knows they're coming now.

Great idea. I would be happy to participate in the champaigne and maybe flowers to celebrate their arrival. Just drop me a PM.

Way ahead of you Don, Flores means flowers in Portuguese and the island is covered with them but believe it or not there are no florists on Flores. That would be too easy as it eliminates the payment/credit card & language & delivery problems as often Florists will package a nice bottle of wine or gift with the order for a reasonable surcharge. If I could just get a hold of someone I would have paid them to pick the damn things along the roadside but no joy. Unfortunately I think we have lost the window however as they should be arriving anytime now according to what I read here.

Looks like they're about 50 miles out.

Which Island are they stopping at? The bigger one on the map? I would think so.

Last edited:
I know it's too soon to celebrate, but I am happy they made it with fairly good seas.

smiley-bounce016.gif

Happy days are here again... Let us all throw up a cheer again... twas a sure safe voyage there and then... many smiles for are just for them!

I've been closely following this extremely interesting thread. Soon to be many CONGRATS!

It's 4 pm local time in the Azores, so late tonight their time when they get to port, early evening for some of us, west coasters adjust accordingly.

How fortunate we are to have enjoyed Dauntless' passage, approaching landfall & anticipated future journeys. It has kindled many dreams & a few fears. I'll gladly contribute to the welcoming kitty. Say when & where.

I wonder how well they will sleep the first night in with the absence of motion and engine drone?

It's 4 pm local time in the Azores, so late tonight their time when they get to port, early evening for some of us, west coasters adjust accordingly.

I see you're in GA.I am above you in SC.Are they 3 or 4 hours ahead of us?

Count me in, too. What an epic trip in Dauntless. And to think this is just the first of many long legs!!

WTG, Richard. You da man!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom