Trawler accident in Elliot Key

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's something that scares me. We have no control over what numskulls do on the water and it can have a big effect on us.

I would like to sat that autopilots on boats should be illegal but I know I'll get a lot of arguments from those who use one. ...

I like my autopilot. It permits greater situational awareness and makes 360-degree visual sweeps easier. Today:

img_254803_0_5d41d404cfbddf091f8534dfd75420a0.jpg

Last edited:
On this page
Word Browser

Share: http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Allisionhttps://twitter.com/share?original_referer=http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Allisionhttp://www.linkedin.com/shareArticl... Free Dictionary&source=TheFreeDictionary.comCite / link:
ALLISION, maritime law. The running of one vessel against another. It is distinguished from collision in this, that the latter means the running of two vessels against each other; this latter term is frequently used for allision.
A Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States. By John Bouvier. Published 1856

I like my autopilot. It permits greater situational awareness and makes 360-degree visual sweeps easier. Today:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Used correctly an autopilot is a GREAT safety tool.

Like most things used incorrectly...well we all know about that...no need to belabor it.

I had a really close call with a sport fisher that was on auto.
I was off Pensacola at the time with my dad, anchored, some lines out hoping for a bite. All of a sudden this big sport fisher comes past so close, I could have taken the beer out of the hands of the charter customers on deck. The captain yelled at the bait boy to "get up top" Their lines tangled in our anchor rode and he just cut his lines and took off. Got a nice lure, and a lesson to keep an eye out at all times for morons with a boat mortgage.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Used correctly an autopilot is a GREAT safety tool.

Like most things used incorrectly...well we all know about that...no need to belabor it.

Some years ago an acquaintance was returning to Dana Point Harbor on his first trip to Catalina in a 36' sailboat. He coupled his autopilot to the LORAN just outside Avalon and went below. After several hours and 30nm, he looked out a port to see the Dana Point whistle slide by a few feet away. He thought it was funny. Don't think anyone else saw the humor...

------------
Dick

The name of this boat was GAMBLER. Aptly named. The auto pilot just missed the Perdido Pass by a few yards. Of course if it entered the pass the results would have been much worse.

Attachments

• Gambler on the beach.jpg
    Gambler on the beach.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 94
The name of this boat was GAMBLER. Aptly named. The auto pilot just missed the Perdido Pass by a few yards. Of course if it entered the pass the results would have been much worse.

Years ago when we were living in Santa Barbara a guy put his Midnight Lace on autopilot ( at planing speed) and left Santa Cruz island with the boat pointed on the heading to the Harbor.. he and the girlfriend were still doing the nasty below when the boat ran up on the beach high and dry in front of the Santa Barbara Yacht Club.. needless to say his wife was less that amused

HOLLYWOOD

Abacos, 2009. Without permission - and against regulations, a Moorings captain takes this (customer-owned) Moorings power cat to Nipper's for Sunday Pig Roast. Leaves late with another female Moorings employee aboard, heading, more or less, for Hope Town. Puts it on AP and goes below to "mix drinks". This is the result. Incredibly, no one was hurt. Yes, he was fired.

Attachments

• Boat Crash mod.jpg
    Boat Crash mod.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 89
Abacos, 2009. Without permission - and against regulations, a Moorings captain takes this (customer-owned) Moorings power cat to Nipper's for Sunday Pig Roast. Leaves late with another female Moorings employee aboard, heading, more or less, for Hope Town. Puts it on AP and goes below to "mix drinks". This is the result. Incredibly, no one was hurt. Yes, he was fired.

Is that the rock right next to Matt Lowes Cay?

Yep, actually right on the very end of Matt Lowe's between the island and Point Set Rock. Pretty much ripped the bottoms out of the hulls. They had to hoist it onto a barge with a crane and take it over to Marsh Harbour Boatyard. Here are some result pics...

Attachments

• P4070011 mod.jpg
    P4070011 mod.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 86
  • P4070006mod.jpg
    P4070006mod.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 82
  • P4070003mod.jpg
    P4070003mod.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 80
Yep, actually right on the very end of Matt Lowe's between the island and Point Set Rock. Pretty much ripped the bottoms out of the hulls. They had to hoist it onto a barge with a crane and take it over to Marsh Harbour Boatyard. Here are some result pics...

:nonono:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom