stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ya mon

Veteran Member
I am looking for opinions. Would stabilizers be of value on a 45' Tollycraft that I will be living on in the Caribbean in St. Maarten? I plan to be on the hook half the time and at a Marina the other half.

Thanks!

Depends on the type, but active fins only work under way, and only for side-to-side rocking, they do nothing for pitch. Gyroscopic will work even when you are stationary, but require alot of power, so you will be running your gen set, and I don't know whether they help with pitch. Flopper stoppers may be your best bet.

Short answer: yes.

Eastern Caribbean has wonderful breezes for sailing which come from the almost constant trade winds coming from the east. Unfortunately this also gives almost constant 5+ft waves on the beam as we are usually traveling north and south. 5ft is traveling weather (calm in my jargon) whereas frequently 6 to 9 ft always on the beam.

We know hardy souls in trawlers who do this without stabilizers, but not many.

We have active stabilizers, Wesmar, and use Magnum Rock and Roll stabilizers at anchor. The combination allows me to keep my wife on board.

ABT has been offering stabilization at rest as an option for their fin systems for a number of years now. So gyro's are not the only solution for at-anchor roll reduction. It can even be retrofit to existing systems.

Does anybody have a link to a video with passive stabilizers such as the Magma's deployed?

Not much of a video but you'll get the idea. I've heard of people building their own to this design and are very happy with the results.

Here's a simple type which would be easy to build.

Improve you comfort when at anchor

Sailboats often use one single flopper stopper on their boom, (the further abeam the better), but one on each mid cleat would be about the same effectiveness.

Last edited:
Bay Pelican has two 9 foot poles from Magnum from which it drops the Magnum Rock and Roll flopper stoppers. These are approximately 4 sq ft each dropping usually 15 feet into the water. The reduction in roll at anchor is significant with just one in place. With both in place there is an additional improvement but not double.

Short answer: yes.

Eastern Caribbean has wonderful breezes for sailing which come from the almost constant trade winds coming from the east. Unfortunately this also gives almost constant 5+ft waves on the beam as we are usually traveling north and south. 5ft is traveling weather (calm in my jargon) whereas frequently 6 to 9 ft always on the beam.

We know hardy souls in trawlers who do this without stabilizers, but not many.

We have active stabilizers, Wesmar, and use Magnum Rock and Roll stabilizers at anchor. The combination allows me to keep my wife on board.

What he said.

Thanks AusCan. I've tried finding videos of passive stabilizers on YouTube a few times. Having found few if any makes me wonder if I'm using bad keywords for searching? Given how thoroughly other topics are covered there I'd expect better luck finding them.

Thanks AusCan. I've tried finding videos of passive stabilizers on YouTube a few times. Having found few if any makes me wonder if I'm using bad keywords for searching? Given how thoroughly other topics are covered there I'd expect better luck finding them.

Yes googling videos is always interesting.

I got this one looking for "flopper stoppers on boats"

Beautiful girl on yachts - YouTube

Suggest you give consideration to paravanes. A set are less than half the price of active stabilizers. Much less maintenance is required. They can be used both underway and at anchor. Downside is the height issue with bridges (none in Caribbean), requirement to launch and retrieve (sometimes in nasty weather) and the space they take up on deck.

I am looking for opinions. Would stabilizers be of value on a 45' Tollycraft that I will be living on in the Caribbean in St. Maarten? I plan to be on the hook half the time and at a Marina the other half.

Thanks!

To answer your question I would say is no. It sounds like you're a full time live-aboard. We've anchored several times on the Dutch side at Simpson Bay and never felt the need for any roll stabilization. It is well protected except in winds from the SW and if the winds/swell do come from that direction, it would be time go into the lagoon anyway. If you're on the French side you can anchor for free in the lagoon.

If you add anything I'd add what Bay Pelican has, the Magnum Rock and Roll stabilizers for at anchor.

Now, if you're cruising ... :)

Any yachtsman knows you should minimize the use of silicon, especially above decks.

smiley-signs064.gif

Back
Top Bottom