Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive decided to go for 7 foot ceilings so I can run a grab rail down the middle and not worry about smacking my head on it. that and the sliding door I have is to suit a 2100 mm high opening

Sorry forgot to add in the post that these pics are of my exhaust flange that was finished today. Will be side mounted. Came up pretty good I reckon

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

They don't look like grab rails, Matt. They look suspiciously like rod holders. They's something you stick things in that you grab though, I must admit.

Oh bugger, I didn't see that last post until after. However, rod holders are more sexy than exhaust flanges, I think you'd agree..?

Last edited:
They don't look like grab rails, Matt. They look suspiciously like rod holders. They's something you stick things in that you grab though, I must admit.

Oh bugger, I didn't see that last post until after. However, rod holders are more sexy than exhaust flanges, I think you'd agree..?

Hahaha yeah I agree. Darn new page count

Ive decided to go for 7 foot ceilings so I can run a grab rail down the middle and not worry about smacking my head on it. that and the sliding door I have is to suit a 2100 mm high opening

Matt me guy - wow... that is some tall headroom. Don's kids could do jumping jacks in your yacht! :dance:

By time you get full 7' interior height remaining with thickness of roof structure as well as interior ceiling finish and floor covering added together what do you think... 7'8" +/- to outside top area?

May I suggest a scaled artist's drawing to get pre-glimpse of visuals at completion. You're playing with the beauty strokes now. I believe you built AXE to be a fine lady who wants to wear nothing but the best outfits in compliment her to sexy hull lines.

:D

Matt me guy - wow... that is some tall headroom. Don's kids could do jumping jacks in your yacht! :dance:

By time you get full 7' interior height remaining with thickness of roof structure as well as interior ceiling finish and floor covering added together what do you think... 7'8" +/- to outside top area?

May I suggest a scaled artist's drawing to get pre-glimpse of visuals at completion. You're playing with the beauty strokes now. I believe you built AXE to be a fine lady who wants to wear nothing but the best outfits in compliment her to sexy hull lines.

:D

Hey brother!

Duly noted my friend. CP suggested the cardboard which i like so will do that and go from there. I also like your idea but if I can see it in the flesh then I'll be able to grasp the idea better. If I stay around 2200mm inside then yeah she'll be around 2400mm outside + solar panels etc.

Thanks heaps for you kind words. I really appreciate your time and support. It's a shame we're not living closer. I reckon we'd get along like a house on fire!

Hey Hendo,
Getting to the exciting part of your project like what you have planned for the AXE keep up the good work.
Troy

Hey brother!

Thanks heaps for you kind words. I really appreciate your time and support. It's a shame we're not living closer. I reckon we'd get along like a house on fire!

:thumb: :dance: :socool:

Didn't know him but knew of his creations and designs. He did a lot for the timber boat community.

Boat builder, musician, dancer dies | Homer News

Another TF member and I were discussing Renn Tolman's death on facebook last night.It is a great loss to the boating community,especially in the PNW up to Alaska.He was a good man.I have,or had,his book about tunnel hulls that can run in a few inches of water.Very neat design.I did have a copy of his plans for one of his larger skiffs.I hope someone in his family will keep publishing his boat plans and books.

G'day folks.
After a two week layoff (Flics birthday, new car purchase, road trip and rain), I was back into the swing of things which felt great :)

I went and bought a 30ft tarp so I could remove the roof sheets so I could stand up and walk around with out too much effort and so I can start building the fwd section

I epoxy glued the stem and finished the last run of the 4" exhaust. I dry fitted the flange I had made and I must say, I like it a lot. I've epoxied the cut out but will try and sika it up and fit it tomorrow if the epoxy has cured.

As I start to wrap up this bit of the build, Looking back, It's been a mission to get here and to get some parts I needed which had to be custom made, but it's all paid off I think.

Couple of bits left to do in the bilge like Finish off the painting, fitting the raw water pump slider and a few other bits then I can move upstairs :)

Well that's all for today.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971284.684350.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971339.253645.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971388.603856.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971428.525629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971450.483948.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971519.466394.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971790.060525.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971877.569603.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406971933.374675.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406972011.131468.jpg

Matt

Good on you two for taking a break; gives opportunity for new perspectives; and, great to see you back in the saddle ... err, at the helm! LOL

Always looking forward to seeing your progress.

Best to you both! - Art

Matt

Good on you two for taking a break; gives opportunity for new perspectives; and, great to see you back in the saddle ... err, at the helm! LOL

Always looking forward to seeing your progress.

Best to you both! - Art

Thank you mate. Always nice to hear from you.

Love your new avatar!

We're watching.

"So are we going boating.........please!"

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406972011.131468.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406972011.131468.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Well today I ticked a couple more bilge jobs off. I made a slider thingy for my raw water pump and pretty stoked how it came out. Certainly wouldn't make a living out of selling them cause it is a bit old school and rough but it does the job at tensioning the belt so can't ask for more than that. The LED downlighting is great. Nice and bright. The plumbing for the raw water is all sorted. The exhaust is almost finished with the fitment of the flange today. Not much left to do now. Bit of a clean up then paint . ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407058554.914462.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407058574.337808.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407058604.885954.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407058628.852635.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407058650.038046.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407058672.611655.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407058703.529553.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Nice! However....I think you will hate that pump all the way out there, and your risk of injury has just gone way up. You will find yourself working down there one day with the engine running and that looong belt is a hazard. Now you will have to build a guard for it all. Sorry, I can see how much work went into that install.

Also, does that through-hull ball valve have the proper threads? You didn't buy a Home Depot valve with tapered threads because you are a dedicated TF reader, right?

I'm being more than usually annoying - please don't take offence and feel free to ignore me. I'm more than 100 km from my boat right now, which makes me cranky and you can see that I never post pictures of my engine room!

Nice! However....I think you will hate that pump all the way out there, and your risk of injury has just gone way up. You will find yourself working down there one day with the engine running and that looong belt is a hazard. Now you will have to build a guard for it all. Sorry, I can see how much work went into that install.

Good point. I didn't think about that. Where would you have put it? It might be better to move it then add a guard.

Also, does that through-hull ball valve have the proper threads? You didn't buy a Home Depot valve with tapered threads because you are a dedicated TF reader, right? !

We don't have Home Depot, however, The through hull and ball valve have matching machined threads.

I never post pictures of my engine room!

Why not?

It`s looking very much like a boat, great work, impressive progress.
Xsbank is right, the belt drive to the pump is a worry, depends what was done to suit it whether you relocate or guard it.
In industrial injury cases it was said, the only safe machine was where the guards prevent it being used at all.
All the best.

Nice. Its looking like the real deal.
Yes- I too would shorten up the belt. Its hard to say from the pics, but can your adjusting rod be shortened to move the pump in front of the engine.

I'd hate to get a sleeve or finger caught in there when down checking the oil down in the ER.

Yeah good point re the guard fellas. Thanks for bringing it up Xsbank.

That's the beauty of this site!

LOOKING AWESOME!:thumb: Where'd you get the downlighting from?

LOOKING AWESOME!:thumb: Where'd you get the downlighting from?

Thanks mate.

I got the stainless steel tilting light fittings and wiring plugs from eBay, the LED bulbs from ikea and the wire cabling I already had. All up those 6 lights cost me a grand total of $11.20 :-D.

A lot brighter and more reliable than that LED strip lighting or standard halogen bulb fittings.

I will be fitting these down lights all through the ceiling of the cabin and external hardtop.

Thanks mate.

I got the stainless steel tilting light fittings and wiring plugs from eBay, the LED bulbs from ikea and the wire cabling I already had. All up those 6 lights cost me a grand total of $11.20 :-D.

A lot brighter and more reliable than that LED strip lighting or standard halogen bulb fittings.

I will be fitting these down lights all through the ceiling of the cabin and external hardtop.

Now that is some frugal boat upgrades. :thumb:

Only because it's gear used in houses and not bought for a boat :)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom