It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very interesting indeed. My personal limit in open water, on even much cushier boats boats than a KK42, is about four days, and I'm being really tolerant for the last two of that! It's certainly not for everyone, so I am glad he is having fun and hope the rest of the adventure goes even better. Looks like they may avoid the effects of Bertha, but I haven't done any calculations matching his track and position to hers.

I've a good friend with the last 42 KK made. His safe range is easily +2500 miles with the JD 6068.

Does anyone know the exact engine and injection pump oil change protocol Dauntless is observing? Lots of different approaches when doing a long trip, just curious as to his method of choice.

Good job Richard!

I don't know his oil change strategy, but if he has a Lehman 135 as reported then there is no separate oil for the injection pump. That motor circulates the main engine oil through the injector pump.

Ken

Ok horrible internet on the trains T hotspot

Back in Frankfurt and have not missed anything here are the new ones

So I did check that oil and change one Racor.
Everything was fine.

We've had times of glassy water, finally, and even saw two turtles.
Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 41.613968 Lon -45.069373

#######

Today was our best wx so far.
Light, easterly winds & no whitecaps!

I even did something that I said I wouldn't, I shut off the engine.
Lat 41.61428 Lon -45.07227

#####

I even did something that I said I wouldn't, I shut off the engine, as the Victron was giving me strange readings these last few days.

Very interesting indeed. My personal limit in open water, on even much cushier boats boats than a KK42, is about four days, and I'm being really tolerant for the last two of that! It's certainly not for everyone, so I am glad he is having fun and hope the rest of the adventure goes even better. Looks like they may avoid the effects of Bertha, but I haven't done any calculations matching his track and position to hers.

I've been watching that storm a little.Our weather reports that it will skirt the coast and head back NE past NC.I'm not sure of the time line on that,but I think they'll be in port before it get's close enough to be any real concern.They're sailing along pretty good.

Yea, they should be well clear of the storm if they keep up course and speed.

From Richard this morning:

Today starts just like yesterday. Scattered StratoCu, lgt se winds and 4' se swell. We're racing along at 7 kts. Saw two turtles.

I asked Richard if he was going to change the oil or wait till the Azores. He seems to be in good spirits.

Ha. Now that's funny.
I don't tempt Fate.
I even added oil a few days ago, while it was running.
I'll do the same tomorrow.
Oil looked vg yesterday.

Rpms up to 1750, 7 kts, to take advantage of seas wo white caps and good fuel consumption.

With almost 300 gal gone, still at 1.5 g/hr & 3.8 nm/g

Last edited:
Way to go Richard. He is really out there now and cutting into the distance.
He must be feeling good about everything if he shut the engine down.
I wonder if he went for a swim ? nah I suppose not it is not the Pacific is it.

I have had some memorable crossings of the Atlantic and a couple I would like to forget and these were on a 45000 tonne crude tanker back in the 70s and we suffered some damage.

keep on truckin Richard.

Cheers
Benn

All is well on Dauntless this morning.
Asked the crew what they will do first upon landfall:

Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2014 6:27 AM
To:
Subject: inReach message from Richard Bost

Good question.
Turn off the engine and kiss it!

Change the oil, while hot.

Give the boat a well done, "Well done boat, Well done"

Go out to eat.

Lat 40.94391 Lon -39.590778

I wonder what fuel prices are in Flores? Being an island so far from any mainland..... Maybe Richard can update us when he gets there.

Did some reading about ports in the Azores. From what I read it looks like ports/marinas in Flores are very few and very limited in facilities and in rough water. Horta has better ports/marinas. Anyone been there that could shed some light?

Here's some of todays correspondence from Richard:

The only issue had been the Victron. While running, it indicates a draw of -minus 3 -5 amps.
That's why I stopped and turned off engine yesterday.

Yes on engine, even more so bc I did I wouldn't. But as soon as it was off, I restarted it, to see if any issues with start batt.
was fine, so I didn't worry

I had also turned on gen for the first time in months! before I turned off engine.
And of course, I had the jumper cables ready , (Well, I knew where they were

No. It's minor. The issue was that it shows a net discharge of 2-6 amps since we left NS.
basically, it's not picking up the amps from the alt.

Julie and I have no sense that we are in the middle of the Atlantic.
Other then the water being so very blue, it's like the land is just over the horizon.

It would be interesting to know if Richard has a SOC meter as part of his Victron display. Our Magnum shows the amps out like Richard's but by toggling through the BMK a plethora of data like voltages, SOC, etc. So long as his SOC is up near 100 all should be well.

Message today:

Landfall, Tuesday night. Seen first whales today.

I can't help being very excited for these two adventurers. Daily, you see the distance left to go dissolving. We (the TF crew) often speak about trawling philosophy of "It's the trip, not the destination". It sure sounds as if they are "on the trip".

great thanks for the updates guys I fly back over him on Tuesday heading back to the states

Did some reading about ports in the Azores. From what I read it looks like ports/marinas in Flores are very few and very limited in facilities and in rough water. Horta has better ports/marinas. Anyone been there that could shed some light?

Horta, on Faial Island, is the usual port of call for pleasure boats. Shipping would use Ponta Delgada. In Horta there are many great eateries but first stop for most is Peter Cafe Sport, close to the marina. Its kinda like a rite of passage to hang there for a while. They have great casual meals too.
http://www.petercafesport.com/pcs/index.php

Is the crew just two souls?? Man that would be some serious work for each.

Is the crew just two souls?? Man that would be some serious work for each.

Yeah....I've been thinking the same thing. I wonder what the duty cycle at the helm is. Of course, there is the auto-pilot, AIS alerts, radar...etc..

Yeah....I've been thinking the same thing. I wonder what the duty cycle at the helm is. Of course, there is the auto-pilot, AIS alerts, radar...etc..

I know he was looking for crew at one time, but think it's just the two of them. That's one thing I wouldn't do is go with just two. But then sailors do it single handed.

These messages went into my spam Sat morning, I had asked Dauntless about weather services he may use, or if he is the weather service (his first sentence is him refering to himself):

That's right, But I only believe his fcsts half the time!
Delorme has a deal with OCENS for my InReach.
I can get text fcst for 24, 48, &/or 72 hrs.

Which means just bc a fcst is 90% accurate for a major metropolitan area, one can not extrapolate that number and think it's the same all over.

Only expect it to have the winds in the right quadrant with speed not more than 100% off.
I do miss synoptic wx charts, though over the open ocean their value

Over the ocean their value is limited due a variety of reasons, one of them being, a fcst is only as good as the quality of the verification.

When these were sent sat morning this was his position:
Lat 41.42896 Lon -43.116832

The messages are broken up as he can only receive or send 160 letters at a time

Sent Dauntless marine forcast for Flores and a sea buoy in the Azores, for Tuesday.
Also asked him if his first landfall is still Flores?
His reply's below:

Thanks for the fcst.
I have seen for the last 2 days that winds were fcst to be more w than they have been. So I've altered course to get south of the

Rhumb line, so that as the wsw winds increase, they will be right behind me.

We redeployed the Paravanes last night, as the waves from the S SE were becoming annoying.

Looks like they'll be out till landfall

May as well end the trip as we began

Lat 40.381633 Lon -36.373672

Richard is asking for Insurance options, see below:

Pls post for me:

I got a quote from Pantaenius for European insurance that's almost 4x what I'm paying now.
Anyone know of any alternatives?

Lat 40.368383 Lon -36.343332

Also this morning from Dauntless:

I'll share that Skyfall was a disappointment :)

Lat 40.365337 Lon -36.335672

I am thinking he should put together a weekend talk next year about his trip adventures etc and we all pay a bit to put it together and he and his mate get a free weeks vacation to share with us for a 2 days

I think his knowledge of the seas weather etc is a bit beyond mine

I would be in for that. Good idea!!!!

I wonder if his increase of 4X was because of the trip (typical) or it went up after notification...

Dauntless was also asking for some weather information:

Pls look at the north Atlantic sfc chart and tell me the locations of the centers of the Highs and Lows.

Lat 40.363308 Lon -36.330735

I sent him this:

9:07 UTC Aug 4, NOAA

Well formed Low
61N-31W

Weak Low
50N-38W

High
35N-33W

He replied:

Perfect. Thanks.
Looking at the fcst, it seems thks high will be moving se, this putting the Azores in the that wsw flow.

That also explains the trw that have been to the east and south of me this a.m.
A weak trough must extend from the weak low sse just to my east.

Lat 40.330295 Lon -36.240313

Others more qualified than me may want to send him data as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom