Any experience with Exide 8D deep cycle batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I take it you have these bad boys?

http://rollsbattery.com/public/specsheets/4KS21P.pdf

If so, you obviously have the height available. You are replacing a 1100ah bank. Have you calculated what you need capacity wise?

Yep, those are the exact batteries I have. Installed in 2000 and have been amazing for 14 yrs. Theyre pooped out now however and it's time to replace.
Just can't get up the nerve to pony up $4500 for all three of them.

I have significantly reduced my power requirements (new fridge only pulls 6 to 12 amps and only runs part of the time vs. old fridge which pulled 24 amps and ran 24/7).
So, I can decrease my house batteries (I think) to 4 of the 8d's.
I appreciate the comments on the golf cart 6v batts. I haven't considered those. Space is not a big issue.
Has anyone purchased the Costco 6V GC batteries? Any experience?
Thank you,
Taras

I put in six Costco GC batteries in Jan 2011 and they're still great. That's not a long track record, but my understanding is that they're made by Johnson Controls who also makes Interstate batteries. Both Interstate and Costco use the model number GC2.

I like the Costco price, return policy and wide availability for my boating area.

Costco batteries are good. You would need eight GC2s to equal 4 8ds; a fair amount of new wiring, not to mention the extra floor space and watering either option requires vs your current units. One reason I suggested L16s. By the way, it looks like 3 new replacements for you current batteries can be had for around $3200...

Surrette Battery - 4 Volts, 1104 Amp-hours

Have you had someone absolutely verify they are indeed dead and not in need of equalization? My back hurts just thinking about that change out!

I've equalized them many times over the years. They just don't seem to have any reserve capacity left.....I'm thinking its time to change them out.
Thank you for the link for Surrette. This is the best price I have seen but I'll need 3 of those and at $3200.00 it's out of my budget.
I haven't researched the L16 battery. I have plenty of height to fit those so I'll check that out.
Thank you!
Taras

Sooner or later you have to move them. See my battery thread from last weekend. Batteries that can be broken down into smaller pieces have a big advantage. Though the AGM golf carts I used were 90 pounds a piece. That's going to be my max single battery size.

Back
Top Bottom