Thrusters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Sky
Vessel Make
Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
We are contemplating installing bow & stern thrusters on our NT42. The yard is recommending Wesmar (they will install whatever we want) but I don't know one make from another. Another NT 42 has Sidepower with 10hp bow and 7hp stern; the owner is very happy with the product and the power.

So if we were to install ~ 10hp bow & stern thrusters, what is anyone's experience with different manufacturers?

We are contemplating installing bow & stern thrusters on our NT42. The yard is recommending Wesmar (they will install whatever we want) but I don't know one make from another. Another NT 42 has Sidepower with 10hp bow and 7hp stern; the owner is very happy with the product and the power.

So if we were to install ~ 10hp bow & stern thrusters, what is anyone's experience with different manufacturers?

We love our Side Power bow & stern thrusters believe they are about 12HP a piece, each has a set of 8D's tied into the house. Bank that give plenty of run time. They really help in close quarters.

Definitely a fan of the Coot's bow thruster. Question the cost/benefit/risk-of-damage of a stern thruster on the boat, however.

img_254375_0_5e26b39779a75b6029c943740660145e.jpg

We love our Side Power bow & stern thrusters believe they are about 12HP a piece, each has a set of 8D's tied into the house. Bank that give plenty of run time. They really help in close quarters.

Thanks Oliver. 24V? That seems to be the preferred approach from what I've heard so far.

Definitely a fan of the Coot's bow thruster. Question the cost/benefit/risk-of-damage of a stern thruster on the boat, however.

img_254377_0_5e26b39779a75b6029c943740660145e.jpg

What manufacturer Mark?

When you are side tying to a dock in a parallel parking kind of way and the winds are blowing you away from the dock, a thruster at each end of the boat is very nice.

What manufacturer Mark?

When you are side tying to a dock in a parallel parking kind of way and the winds are blowing you away from the dock, a thruster at each end of the boat is very nice.

I'll have to look up the manual, which is on the boat. Please send me a PM tomorrow to remind me to look it up as I'll be on the boat Sunday. It's a 24-volt model. As far as the stern, I'm relying on the single-propulsion propeller and rudder.

Thanks Oliver. 24V? That seems to be the preferred approach from what I've heard so far.

The early 47's had 12v so they went with 12v thrusters since the rest of the boat is. They work great!

Wesmar makes good equipment.

I don't see the point in a stern thruster. Since you already have a very large one now.

These might be worth a look,

Last edited:
Sidepower. High quality units.

Last edited:
A lot more holes in the hull.

Wesmar is top notch stuff and they are based up where you boat. Shop around and get references, but that, or ABT, also a west coaster, is probably the direction I would go in. I'd also go just with the bow unit first then evaluate if the stern is really worth it to you.

If you were out here I would rec Vetus (which the Hatt has), simply because of the great customer service (which I have direct experience with) and reputation of their distributor and main installer Florida Bow Thruster.

I'd suggest talking to Nordic Tug. They offer Sidepower on the 42 new now. This is the standard bow thruster:

Bow Thruster - SIDE-POWER® SE100/185T-12V, 220lb thrust

I don't know the specifics on the stern they offer as an option.

They've had experience with a specific combination, locating them, and tying them in with the rest of the equipment. This is not meant as Side Power vs. Wesmar or anything else, just I always like the idea of following what the builder has had success with.

I am very happy so far with my 24 volt, 10 inch Vetus bow and stern thrusters.

Great Laker has Sidepower bow and stern thrusters. Both are very useful in many situations. Since the value of the stern thruster seems to be in question by some, let me give some examples where I have found it key.

• Holding the stern close to a lock wall in winds and swirling waters when the main engine is off and the Admiral can't hold on to the line.
  • Moving the stern off a dock against the wind when there are other boats ahead and astern, and it is necessary to back away.
  • Steering the stern when backing into a slip.
  • Steering the stern when backing out of a narrow fairway into the wind.
  • Quickly spinning the boat 90 deg when in a narrow fairway with winds and needing to enter a slip.
  • Moving the stern over to get a line around a pile while in a slip.

I have said in previous threads that if I could only have either a bow or stern thruster, I would seriously consider just the stern thruster.

Great Laker has Sidepower bow and stern thrusters. Both are very useful in many situations. Since the value of the stern thruster seems to be in question by some, let me give some examples where I have found it key.

• Holding the stern close to a lock wall in winds and swirling waters when the main engine is off and the Admiral can't hold on to the line.
  • Moving the stern off a dock against the wind when there are other boats ahead and astern, and it is necessary to back away.
  • Quickly spinning the boat 90 deg when in a narrow fairway with winds and needing to enter a slip.

I have said in previous threads that if I could only have either a bow or stern thruster, I would seriously consider just the stern thruster.

Thanks Larry. You have nicely articulated the reasons that we are looking at installing both thrusters. At our dock, as mentioned, we often have the wind blowing us off the dock which is okay when leaving (although I do have to execute a quick pirouette once in the narrow fairway or the wind will put us into some very expensive yachts) but we also have hard winds onto the dock which can make leaving a challenge. We're pretty tight between boats fore and aft.

If a strong northwesterly is blowing off the dock there is no chance of a successful mating with the dock.

Using the stern walk is very helpful, but when you have very limited fore and aft room the stern walk can only do so much.

We have a very anemic 12V bow thruster (factory installed) that is virtually useless.

The comments are confirming my general impression that Wesmar and Sidepower are good units - thanks everyone.

Wesmar makes good equipment.

I don't see the point in a stern thruster. Since you already have a very large one now.

These might be worth a look,

Cool product.That would work on my shallow draft, but I plan to beach, and also dry out at low tide.I'd end up ripping my bow open below the water line.

With my single screw Carolina boat, I find the bow thruster very handy. I find no need for a stern thruster, anything back there can be handled by rudder/prop and alternating fwd/rev.

All these units (except hydraulic) have run time limits , find out what they are and be sure you can live with the restrictions.

If the purpose of a stern thruster is to get you off a dock with little space fore and aft, make sure you get a BIG one. I have seen a few collisions where the thruster did not get the boat clear fast enough against wind/current. God originally invented spring lines for this purpose.

A couple of posters point out very important things. Be sure you go big enough. Understand the limitations if you go electrical and how long it can be used. Many choose hydraulic for that reason. Also, don't get yourself into situations where you're suddenly expecting the impossible even from thrusters.

Now we are heavy users of our boats and cruise a lot. Therefore, we find ourselves in different areas, different marinas, different situations often. Each system of locks is different. Erie Canal isn't like the Tennessee River. Okeechobee not like the Panama Canal. All of this increases our chance of finding ourselves in a situation where they are needed. It doesn't take many times when they do something for you that otherwise you just couldn't have done for them to pay for themselves in the relief of stress, even if not in terms of potential damage. Can be dock and undock without them? Yes. But it is easier with them and as we dock and undock probably 250 times a year or more, in all types of conditions, then we consider them essential. Several times we have used them beneficially when another boat was having major issues in a tight area. We would clear space for them or give them the easier space.

If the purpose of a stern thruster is to get you off a dock with little space fore and aft, make sure you get a BIG one. I have seen a few collisions where the thruster did not get the boat clear fast enough against wind/current. God originally invented spring lines for this purpose.

The Wesmars that were recommended are 13 hp each, which should be ample on a 35000 pound NT 42. The NT 42 owner previously mentioned has 10 (bow) and 7 (stern) and says he can parallel park against 25 knot winds.

Also, the stronger the thrusters, the shorter runs times required, lessening the chance of the 24V DC systems kicking out.

I wondered when spring lines would be brought up! They can be used to get away from the dock, but in our part of the world bullrails are almost exclusively used, which can be a challenge when approaching in a high wind. Dock access from our boat is pretty much limited to off the stern platform.

One other consideration is adding remote controls which should then permit single handing from time to time. Still pondering that one.

+1 to all that.

Especially the use of a spring line. Which quite frankly it sounds like a number of people here with singles do not seem to know how or when to use one.

A couple of posters point out very important things. Be sure you go big enough. Understand the limitations if you go electrical and how long it can be used. Many choose hydraulic for that reason. Also, don't get yourself into situations where you're suddenly expecting the impossible even from thrusters.

Now we are heavy users of our boats and cruise a lot. Therefore, we find ourselves in different areas, different marinas, different situations often. Each system of locks is different. Erie Canal isn't like the Tennessee River. Okeechobee not like the Panama Canal. All of this increases our chance of finding ourselves in a situation where they are needed. It doesn't take many times when they do something for you that otherwise you just couldn't have done for them to pay for themselves in the relief of stress, even if not in terms of potential damage. Can be dock and undock without them? Yes. But it is easier with them and as we dock and undock probably 250 times a year or more, in all types of conditions, then we consider them essential. Several times we have used them beneficially when another boat was having major issues in a tight area. We would clear space for them or give them the easier space.

Well put. We sometimes shy away from tying up at various docks while cruising because they are complex or have too much wind.

There is a real sense of satisfaction when you can grease a landing just using the prop and rudder, and I will continue to experience that. But having a safety net and the ability to thrust my way into the otherwise impossible spots just makes life better.

I'm with you. We have both, ABT hydraulic, and I must say when you have to back down a line of boats with 3' on either side - like we did to squeeze into our slip at the Victoria Splash event - bow and stern are mighty nice. Plus, the ability to swing the boat quickly through 360 degrees in her own length comes in handy when maneuvering. We also use the stern thruster to keep the bow where I want it when lowering the hook since it has better leverage than the bow unit.

One thing I am quite sure of - you won't regret having the stern thruster.

All good points.
After my first docking attempt with the new to me boat, (big wind and I was solo with no spring line), a bow thruster was on the top of the upgrade list. It was very close to a disaster. Over time a thruster has slowly working its way down the list of priorities.

I would still like one, but if I had to choose either a bow thruster or a spring line to help me dock, I'm not sure which I'd rather have.

The Wesmars that were recommended are 13 hp each, which should be ample on a 35000 pound NT 42. The NT 42 owner previously mentioned has 10 (bow) and 7 (stern) and says he can parallel park against 25 knot winds.

Also, the stronger the thrusters, the shorter runs times required, lessening the chance of the 24V DC systems kicking out.

I wondered when spring lines would be brought up! They can be used to get away from the dock, but in our part of the world bullrails are almost exclusively used, which can be a challenge when approaching in a high wind. Dock access from our boat is pretty much limited to off the stern platform.

One other consideration is adding remote controls which should then permit single handing from time to time. Still pondering that one.
Not sure you need the remote. I have used ours only a half dozen times in as many years and while it is very cool to stand on the top deck and back the boat through a maze you don't need to do that very often. Plus, you need electronic engine controls to go along with the thruster or the remote is pretty useless. Kobelt built ours, and it provides rudder, gear, throttle and thruster control and I am sure it added a fair bit to the install.

And then there was the time I ripped a 4 x 4 mooring timber off a dock when I had plugged in the remote with the gear in full forward and then switched to that control station from the P/H. Very exciting....:facepalm:

You make an excellent point about bull rails, especially when approaching an unattended dock so equipped. A grappling hook type of arrangement can work, but takes really good cowboy or cowgirl skills to execute in adverse conditions.

I think the bottom line is, if you have the moolah and the desire, why not? Especially the bow thruster at first, unless you save a bunch of money from the yard for a twofer. Overall, sounds like you are taking a reasonable approach.

Having a Stern Thruster, I wouldn't give it up for a bow thruster..... I see value in both, but I can point my bow into any tight spot and bring my stern in with short bursts of my stern thruster. I can also do a complete 360 without moving my boat. Best of all, backing into a slip or down a long channel is a breeze. I chose a Sideshift stern thruster for the easy do it yourself install..... Not to mention the less than $3K price tag (2011).

There are definitely things I can't do without a bow thruster, but I have never encountered a situation in which a stern thruster would give me better maneuverability that I have twin mains and a bow thruster, so I read your reply with interest.

Now I don't claim to be a maneuvering expert, but there is only one item on your list that I can't do -- that's number 1, holding the stern in with the mains off. But, I compensate for that by not shutting down the mains until the boat is secure (and similarly, I don't cast off until the mains are running).

Also, I have a 24v Sidepower and am very happy with it. The boat is 12v, and it runs off the house bank, but there is an automatic switch (made by Sidepower to work with its thruster) that disconnects part of the house bank and reconnects it in series with the rest of the house bank. I think that approach makes more sense than either a dedicated battery or 12v wiring and motor.

I think the bottom line is, if you have the moolah and the desire, why not?

Not wishing to spend the money was the main consideration in my case, but I also did not like the idea of snagging fishing lines on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom