An Anchor Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
30 Pounder... Gotta Luv Dem Danforth Anchors!! :dance:

Art that is brilliant. Attaching a heavy lead acid battery to your anchor for increases holding power. That ought to hold 'er.:socool:

Art: How often have you been found out-back behind the shed, fondling your Danforths. Maybe it's time for you to talk to someone about this.;)

OK Guys... Laugh if you must! I can take IT!! :rofl:

"Dan Forth" has been a trusted friend of mine for 6 decades. :thumb:

We weathered two hurricanes with "Dan" and no anchor drag; in reasonably protected New England harbors 1960's. I know there are many good "new age" anchor designs. There are also many good "new age" ways to fight in the ring... but me and "Dan Forth" are still in good enough shape with enough background to take on all challengers!

Bottom line... "Dan" stands the test of time; so far so do I :dance:

Happy Fluke Daze! - Art :D

Art that is brilliant. Attaching a heavy lead acid battery to your anchor for increases holding power. That ought to hold 'er.:socool:

Don - I tried attaching a 283 chevy block once... ended up cutting the line, couldn't quite haul it back over the bow sprit. Lead acid batt offers two pluses. 1. xtra yet manageable weight 2. Bubbles coming up so you can tell just where the anchor is! :socool:

Art: How often have you been found out-back behind the shed, fondling your Danforths. Maybe it's time for you to talk to someone about this.;)

Hey Larry - You're a little late to the gate on this...

Admiral already knows!! :nonono:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B
Yup…we'll have to rename you Art. From here on in, you are Sir Dan(forth) the Man.

Or Sir Art the Danforth Man. Or perhaps just Art the Duke of Danforth. :D

Just don't call me late for dinner! :eek:

Well then, you can call me Bruce!

img_253675_0_487ffab4865af81ae4ca6887f332bf6d.jpg

This is what I had to wake up to Monday morning in Sausalito. What we Californians have to put up with while yachting!! SUP Yoga!! Each SUP had a little anchor set right off my bow. I think they were the small folding type used on kayaks. I watched for a while and didn't see even one anchor drag. Then the Admiral caught me with the camera. End of show, but it was worth it.

img_253675_1_796e1c89c2201e04d5a1183fef2604c1.jpg

Hey Larry - You're a little late to the gate on this...

Admiral already knows!! :nonono:

What, did she become suspicious when you came home one night with zinc galvanizing residue on your collar one night? :D

What, did she become suspicious when you came home one night with zinc galvanizing residue on your collar one night? :D

That did raise suspicion once... Then she found me on the sun deck molesting two anchors at the same time. Or, was it them molesting me? Never can figure out that quandary??? :facepalm:

Damn, Art-I thought for a moment that you had one of those newfangled electric Danforths.

Testing the Sarca Excel

I am deeply disturbed that the Chesapeake Anchor test will not have the Sarca Excel in the group. This is an unpardonable sin that should be corrected. Therefore, with no Sarca Escels in the country I have under taken the task of converting my Delta to an Excel. I have studied pictures, and taken some scaled measurements. The welding and cutting has started. When the Delta is galvanized dipped it will be for all intents and purposes a Sarca Excel, but not really. It will just be a for testing model.

So, W-A-C-Os this will be our first venture into the field of anchor testing. This should settle the anchor champion once and for all. After all, if we don't do the definitive test who will?

Don: I was hoping you'd step up to do exactly that!

One vote for Don as Grand Poobah of the WACO Clan!

Don: I was hoping you'd step up to do exactly that!

One vote for Don as Grand Poobah of the WACO Clan!

Thank you. Thank you. The confidence shown in me is overwhelming. I am humbled. However:

If nominated I will not run. If elected I will not serve. I defer to the gentleman from the PNW, Eric (Manyboats), whose superior knowledge of anchors has earned him that status. I am offering my services to Eric as campaign manager or however else I can help.

Don have you looked at the Kobra made in the UK. Very sharp fluke ... Sharper than the Mantus. Raving about it in Europe. Setting and holding.

Or have you noticed the Davis Tallon? The Tallon may be an old name. Davis is not. See the anchor in the test I posted earlier in this thread. Much like your Delta and the Excel. The Davis link at the bottom is hot.
Wish all these anchors could be on the test and my XYZ as well but all anchor tests have limited funds.

The Fortress test will probably be much more apples to apples, fair and objective test than what I have seen before. The results will be limited of course as there will be a great deal about anchoring performance that will be left out. Most boaters obsess about maximum holding power and consider it the holy grail but dependability is more important IMO. Only lots of time and experience by good men and skippers like Tom White will indicate what anchor is best. And one's own experience is even more golden that that.

But I'm very ready to see the test results. Even the bad tests are interesting and contain information worth learning or observing and this is going to be a good test.

Thank you. Thank you. The confidence shown in me is overwhelming. I am humbled. However:

If nominated I will not run. If elected I will not serve. I defer to the gentleman from the PNW, Eric (Manyboats), whose superior knowledge of anchors has earned him that status. I am offering my services to Eric as campaign manager or however else I can help.

I second the motion!!! :thumb:

Guess I'm a simple anchor guy. The ones we have work fine for us so we don't look at any more. When it comes to computers, tablets, phones, I can't resist looking at everything new but I just don't have the anchor fetish.

OK, Don, but I figured Eric for the Director of Evaluation. We all know that the head guy gets all the invitations to swanky receptions, dinners, cruises, fishing trips, etc. etc., and you'd look so much better in the Grand Poobah hat!

Haven't been following this thread very closely.

How do you know I know a lot about anchors. Maybe I just like to talk .. and I do as evidenced by my many posts but Director of opinions sounds more up my channel. This thread looks more like politics that engineering and if I'm accurate you'd be even more foolish to rely on me. But I do believe in objectivity so what's this all about and what trouble am I being shoehorned into over.

And Don thank you very much indeed but if the job arises you may need many more varied skills to manage me to any great degree. No money to be made either at this time.

Last edited:
No question "manyanchors" Eric likes studying and collecting anchors.

This would be a great defensive weapon during "anchor wars":

img_254060_0_a69a6b14d9bcf81de1257a7f5abae4da.jpg

Looks like a good gardening tool. I'll ask Chris about that Mark.

Art, you`d have liked my old Masters 34. It had a moulding into the foredeck to accommodate a Danforth lying flat. Nothing else would fit. Late versions of the boat made it a normal part of the deck but if you knew, the modification to the moulding was apparent.

OK, Don, but I figured Eric for the Director of Evaluation. We all know that the head guy gets all the invitations to swanky receptions, dinners, cruises, fishing trips, etc. etc., and you'd look so much better in the Grand Poobah hat!

Well, Larry, I am reconsidering. You didn't tell me about the cool head gear.:socool::socool:

Is it just me? Any particular reason we are choosing a "Fouled" anchor for the logo? Just sayin':D

Marty...................

"Is it just me? Any particular reason we are choosing a "Fouled" anchor for the logo? Just sayin':D"

Marty I noticed that as well. I wasn't going to say anything. I just figure it's appropriate to this bunch.

"Is it just me? Any particular reason we are choosing a "Fouled" anchor for the logo? Just sayin':D"

Marty I noticed that as well. I wasn't going to say anything. I just figure it's appropriate to this bunch.

Me no compendia what you guys refer to.

Looks like line on anchor symbol; all placed onto furry hat for wearing as a "crown" on Don's or Eric's head... no???

Run-off votes soon to happen! LOL

I find it funny that a Fouled Anchor has become the symbol for so much nautical.
Google "Fouled Anchor Symbol"

For your enlightenment - Foul (nautical) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marty.....................:D

OMG - I have been "re" enlightened! :dance:

As memory gets restored... I do sorta recall that being used as a fouled-anchor symbol... during decades past of my boating life. :facepalm:

Of course - if an anchor gets fouled on its own line... tiz likely the anchorer's fault, not the line nor the anchor! :lol:

Don have you looked at the Kobra made in the UK. Very sharp fluke ... Sharper than the Mantus. Raving about it in Europe. Setting and holding.

Or have you noticed the Davis Tallon? The Tallon may be an old name. Davis is not. See the anchor in the test I posted earlier in this thread. Much like your Delta and the Excel. The Davis link at the bottom is hot.
Wish all these anchors could be on the test and my XYZ as well but all anchor tests have limited funds.

The Fortress test will probably be much more apples to apples, fair and objective test than what I have seen before. The results will be limited of course as there will be a great deal about anchoring performance that will be left out. Most boaters obsess about maximum holding power and consider it the holy grail but dependability is more important IMO. Only lots of time and experience by good men and skippers like Tom White will indicate what anchor is best. And one's own experience is even more golden that that.

But I'm very ready to see the test results. Even the bad tests are interesting and contain information worth learning or observing and this is going to be a good test.

Eric, your mail box is full.

Don't forget... "Fortress" is basically Danforth design, with small improvements. :D

Back
Top Bottom