It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speed: 8.21 mphHeading: EElevation: -12.27 ft

I guess at 12' down, you lose any wind resistance? What's left remaining above the water line? Fly bridge coaming, mast, spreader lights.

It is great to see them going so well and making up so much distance. Keep the favorable seas coming! :)

So far the weather seems not too bad...hopefully he'll close on the Azores long before this Tropical Depression area of interest 93L will tread up that way.

Richard is doing well this morning, I assume.
Sent him a message about the many good wishes from trawler forum, told him the post count was up to 216. He replied, "Thanks"

Looks like Richard and Dauntless will reach the half-way point later today or tonight. No turning back now!

B&B: I think the tracking service he's using isn't just there for marine travels only, but any and all travels. I got something like this for my son when he went to Europe many years ago. I was a cheapo dad (still am?) and the system stored the track and he had to download it to a laptop. But I could have upgraded to one that sent out data periodically, and as I recall also had communications abilities, for a price. Kind of surprised that Kilometers or Knots are not a display option, and they could be, but he didn't select them?

I just sent a text message to Richard.
" Looks like you're half way! Nice! Hope all is well."
He replied right away.
"Yes we are and yes it is. All is going according to plan."

Communicating, in real time, with a guy in the middle of the Atlantic ocean with a little device I hold in one hand! That just blows me away.

:thumb: Good to hear all is well and going to plan.

Said he may winter over in Ireland.

HopCar I am with you on the handheld device but am also very much in awe of Richard and the passage of Dauntless. Fair winds,calm seas!

For the first time, I am able to get Dauntless on the left edge of the screen and the Azores visible on the right. Progress is being made. What a great feat.

".....also very much in awe of Richard and the passage of Dauntless."

Me too!

For the first time, I am able to get Dauntless on the left edge of the screen and the Azores visible on the right. Progress is being made. What a great feat.

Just break open the lock on your wallet and buy a bigger screen, Don! Or you can put on your glasses and zoom out on the display. :hide:

I agree with you, Parks. It's pretty amazing what technology now allows us to do in real time.

Richard, thanks for the entertainment! So glad it's going so well for you on Dauntless.

I'm following along with this thread. Thanks guys/gals for doing and posting the heavy lifting so I easily stay well versed on travel success for Dauntless and crew!

May there continue to be smooth sailing for you Richard and Julie- Art

So impressive I might check the Krogen display at the Sydney Boat Show.

Asked Richard what his landfall will be, Pico?

His answer is below:

Yes. I figure by the time we see land, we won't be inclined to pass it up.

As of 1 Aug 08:00 EDT
702 nm to go.
So far:
1.5 g/hr
3.8 nm/g.
Avg sp 6 kts

He is really doing great this past 30 hours or so. A couple days like the last one and he will be almost there!!!!

When I first heard 12-13 days to cross I was hmmm that's not to bad, but when you check each morning to see how its going, that is one very "long" road to travel, awesome feat for sure.

Latest update from Krogen Cruisers list serve:

Crisis..We just realized we left the bag of onions in the car. Now, we're really going to have to rough it. Oh, the horror. But worse was to come. We forgot to put another bottle of Prosecco in the fridge.
Yes, it's a tough life, but someone has to do it.

New updated numbers. Please keep in mind that my two fuel tanks have sight tubes that end about 6" from the top of the tank. WOW, it's literally off the chart. Fuel consumption since last fill: 1.5 gal/hr 3.8 nm/gal Miles to go as of 09:30 today, 845nm
Current fuel remaining, 480 gal, range, 1826 nm

Now the big quandary, What to have for dinner?

The pitching has actually decreased in last hour. But then I'm crawling along at 1450 rpm, though turning 6 kts.

I've a good friend with the last 42 KK made. His safe range is easily +2500 miles with the JD 6068.

Does anyone know the exact engine and injection pump oil change protocol Dauntless is observing? Lots of different approaches when doing a long trip, just curious as to his method of choice.

Good job Richard!

This is very impressive. Glad to be following along and my best wishes to the Dauntless crew.

Does anybody know if he is using a weather routing service?

Bob

Richard corrected his intended landfall in the Azores:

Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 8:57 AM
To:
Subject: inReach message from Richard Bost

Correction
We're headed to Flores first.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 41.703447 Lon -46.242185

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom