Best time of year for the Exumas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueSky

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Hi All - I'm planning a trip to the Exumas for next year and I have a question for those who have done it before.

If you had a 6 to 8 week window ... would you recommend going in March & April, or mid May through June? The first two weeks of May are off the table, I have to work around that limitation.

Also, is there a specific cruising guide I should get? I use Active Captain and the other online tools now. I'm looking for the best printed guide.

This year I was on Eleuthera, across the sound from the Exumas, in March for 3 weeks or so and it was the best weather I'd ever had there. But of course it varies from year to year.

That said either of those sets of dates you mention can be good times to go. The closer to June the warmer the water of course.

As to guides, I like The Exuma Guide and of course for charts The Explorer Chart kits.

I like May and June. Earlier, and the winds are very iffy. By May usually the prevailing easterlies have settled in to a pattern. Just keep a close eye on Caribbean weather.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is are the waters warm enough to be comfortable for snorkeling and diving in March and April; and when does the air temperature get too warm to be comfortable in June? Several years ago we did a BVI charter in June and were miserable at night. Where's the sweet spot?

Another issue. If you like social life, volleyball, card games etc. The time to go is March. In Georgetown in February and March you might have hundreds of cruisers planted for the season (not crowded). All sorts of activities and wonderful people. The crowds start to thin out in April.

May/June has my vote. Last year the fronts had calmed down as Don mentioned and the water temperatures were great, no wet suits. We went through George Town in mid May and there were only 15-20 boats total, anchored out, and you had your choice of anchorages. A big plus was the fishing, with the warmer water temperatures, it was pretty good.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is are the waters warm enough to be comfortable for snorkeling and diving in March and April; and when does the air temperature get too warm to be comfortable in June? Several years ago we did a BVI charter in June and were miserable at night. Where's the sweet spot?

It all varies from year to year of course. But just as the water warms up in June so does the air temperature. Not knowing your personal temp. requirements it's hard to say when is best for you. Look at some historical temp. data and judge for yourself.

I spent March and part of April of this year (2014) cruising the Exumas between the Berries and Staniel Cay.
Regarding water temps and snorkeling, fantastic! I never needed my wet suit for up to an hour in the water. Water clarity is unbelievable.

On the other hand, the cold fronts came thru one after the other the entitle time I was there. Cold fronts did not mean cold temps. I was in shorts and T-shirt the entire time. What they bring is winds that clock thru 360 degrees every few days. The problem is that most anchorages, and some marinas, are not protected from west winds. I had several sleepless nights either rock'n and roll'n or crowded in protected anchorages with way too many boats.

If you have the option to go in May, I would give that a shot.

Have fun,
Arch

Thanks guys, it's all very helpful. I guess I lean more towards March and April. I like the warm days and cooler nights.

Or whenever you can get there, the longer time the better! I think later is better, but it dances next to hurricane season. Be sure to check with your insurance company about this.

O just returned from 6 weeks in the exumas. ....there is no good time to be there

My boat among giants

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 107

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom