Sydney Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tidahapah

Guru
Vessel Name
Flora
Vessel Make
Timber southern cray boat
Hey all you Sydney siders.
What marinas in Sydney have casual berths suitable for a short stay.
When I head south in Oct intend to have a couple of weeks in Steak and Kidney probably about the 2 nd and 3 rd weeks in November.
Any recommendations?

Cheers
Benn

Benn: you have lots of options but at that time of year, it would be smart to book now to be assured of a spot. Most marinas have casual berths so it depends on what you are looking for off-marina. Do you want to be close to the city? on the North shore? Close to public transport? Also the rates are much better if you stay for 5 or 7 nights rather than for one or 2. Starting SE and circumnavigating: Rose Bay Marina offers casual berths in the centre of the Eastern suburbs. Then there's d'Albora at Rushcutters Bay (where we just spent 9 nights); it is an easy walk to train stations at Edgecliffe & Kings Cross. Lots of swell into the marina during the day which eases off at night, we paid $140/night. Then Birkenhead Point: it is building new 16m & 18m berths right now that should be available in October. Right at the foot of a big shopping complex for easy provisioning/hardware store/restaurants, ferry service and buses available right there and very protected from swell. Then Gladesville Bridge marina....good marina if somewhat subject to harbour traffic wash, but steep walk up to road above for bus access. Then d'Albora marina at Cabarita: would be a good choice for a boat your size, good access, excellent Thai place right at the marina, easy walk to buses everywhere and ferry services to Darling Harbour & the city, etc: I'd seriously consider that. Then going over to North side, if you have a car/going to hire one consider Woolwich Marina. Then try Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron MIGHT have a casual berth for you at Kirribilli: fabulous location and makes visiting the PM & GG easy. Couple of other marinas in Mosman/Neutral Bay but unlikely to have berths big enough for you and manoeuvring room very tight. Then around into Middle Harbour, d'Albora at The Spit is a big marina & almost certain to have a berth that would suit you. Buses at doorstop to Manly and the city. Fergusson's is adjacent and would be an alternate. In Middle Harbour proper there are good marinas at Cammeray & Roseville; both are steep up to the road above with limited public transport access. My top 4 would be Rushcutters Bay; Birkenhead Point, Cabarita; The Spit in no particular order.

Cheapest fuel in Sydney Harbour is at White Bay (Bailey's Fuels).

I've assumed that by Sydney you mean Port Jackson proper and that you're not interested in Pittwater or Cowan...that's a whole 'nother story.

Does Mooloolaba marina where you are now have any reciprocal arrangements with marinas in Sydney?

Last edited:
Paul,
Thanks for all that good information.
It looks like I should start to ring around now and cement in a spot.
Don't like schedules but may have to work a little bit close to one.
Cheers
Benn

Wow Paul, encyclopaedic Sydney Marina knowledge.
D`Albora Marinas are usually expensive,with high end facilities. The Rushcutters Bay one is at the CYCA, query you get CYCA bar and access. Just don`t buy fuel there, go to Baileys as Paul says, their pricing has been instrumental reducing even D`Albora pricing, but not enough. You need a Baileys Card, obtained by qualifying yourself online.

Yep, Paul's advice is pretty thorough.

The only thing I would add, is that as D'Albora's marina at the spit is on the west side of Spit bridge, and with your new mast configuration, you would have to time your coming and goings with the bridge opening times.

That said the marina is in a good position as it is out of the hustle and bustle of the main part of the harbour. Still you might want a little hustle and bustle though.

A bus from the spit will take about 30 minutes to get across the bridge into the city. To get to Many will take about 10-15 minutes.The buses are fairly frequent and run well into the night.

OK guys thanks for all the info.
looks like I have secured a berth at D'Albora The Spit , confirmation in mid October on my way south.
It is not easy in Sydney and also bloody expensive in some places.
it would appear that a fair few marinas want you to sign up for 3 months , their version of a short time casual.
One marina wanted $3000.00 / month for that and it wasn't one of the toffee nose marinas either.
Makes boating in Qld look good.

Well back to the cruising at hand.
Thanks and Cheers
Benn

Don't forget to bring a gold pan Benn, sounds like the Sydney Harbor is loaded with it at those prices.

D'Alboras at the Spit is a good choice, Benn. With the higher fees come good staff, a fine Italian restaurant on the wharf and plenty of cheap(er) options around. Public transport is easy.

The only issue is the bridge opening times, but no big deal.

It's just across the road from me, so finding somewhere for the occasional quiet little drink won't be a problem either.

Benn, there are courtesy moorings both sides of the bridge, could be useful returning from the harbour if you are out of sync with opening time.
Who wants 3K a month? Wow!
I`m currently pricing berthing at Brooklyn on the Hawkesbury,around $600pcm for 36ft, not comparable to Harbour, in several ways.

Why are you looking at Brooklyn Bruce?

Why are you looking at Brooklyn Bruce?
I`m thinking of moving the boat, late this year after retuning from Europe (if we do, last leg is on MH) from Harbour to Hawkesbury, long term. We had the previous boat at Brooklyn (at "Brooklyn Marina", but there are about 4 others side by side) for just under a year and liked it. The late dog stopped us weekending easily (even messed up a week out when she escaped from kennels). With no dog (gee I miss her) we might get more use. Why Brooklyn, easy drive from Riverview, price competitive, close to the good cruising areas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom