"Push Lock" fuel hose fittings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
I am planning to relocate my Racor filters, the lines are equipped with "push lock" type (yellow ring) connectors. I am not sure what is the correct way to unscrew the hose fitting. With a hose clamp I'd loosen and pull the hose off then unscrew the fitting. But with these it seems they have to be cut off the hose, or maybe unscrew the hose letting the fitting rotate inside the hose, if it will, or worse turn the entire lenght of hose to unscrew the fitting from the filter, but it has the same type of fitting on the opposite end.
These have held up well never leaking a drop.
So what correct way to remove them. I will need to install longer hoses for the new location?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Racors 07-2013.jpg
    Racors 07-2013.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 117
You don't cut anything. You just unscrew the female threaded hose fitting off the male fitting. The female threaded piece should just rotate as you unscrew it while the hose remains stationary.

Sometimes if it's been on there a long time you might have to hold the hose with pliers until the female connection starts to rotate freely. These are compression fittings normally so you do not need to use any sealant or tape when you go to reassemble them. But some people will still put a dab of sealant on the threads. If you do choose to do that, use it sparingly and be sure to keep it well away from the sealing faces of the compression fittings.

They are very good fittings by the way than plain hose nipples that you have to use hose clamps with. In most cases I use the upgraded blue hose with them for any fuel or oil lines.

Last edited:
If you want to re-use those push lok nipples after relocating, you will have to cut the hose off. Use a razor blade and try hard not to score the fitting.

Those are very good fittings, but you will also find that the black hose on them, if fuel rated, is not approved for those fittings. If you try to find hose that IS approved, it likely is not fuel rated. It's likely that is black A1 fuel line, which through trial and error has been found to actually work very well with push lok fittings. It just won't be "approved". If you want to remove the risk of someone questioning that setup, you can lightly put a hose clamp on the fitting, just keep in mind that these fittings were not designed for hose clamps, if you get my meaning.

Parker does make fuel rated hose that is designed for those fittings. But when used for fuel they want you to use a crimp style fitting with it.

I've used it on just the PushLoc fittings for fuel lines and never had a problem with the blue or black hose. Heck I've used those fittings with clear vinyl hose for sight tubes with no problems either. But as always, YMMV

If anyone cares...when I looked into push lock...I thought I saw they are not USCG or ABYC approved.

Both the above posts are correct...if you have the swivel end fiitings, then they can be just undone like any screw on fitting...if the PO or mech used push lock to a barb without the swivel fitting or you need to shorten the hose ...then cutting the hose off seems to be the best option.

Parker does make fuel rated hose that is designed for those fittings. But when used for fuel they want you to use a crimp style fitting with it.

If I recall the last time I went through the Parker catalog, well maybe this is why its been quite awhile since inflicting that pain on myself.

So basically, there is no "approved" way to use the fittings with fuel, even though its pretty common practice, at least with A1 hose. Personally I would not worry about it, but last time I went down this path I decided that I would not be my own test mule for hoses other than A1.

...if the PO or mech used push lock to a barb without the swivel fitting or you need to shorten the hose ...then cutting the hose off seems to be the best option.

Yeah I hadn't thought of that. Those could be the non-swiveling nipples that you have to cut the hose off of. You just don't see them used that often other than for hydraulic lines. Or at least I haven't.

Thanks all for the replies, yes mine are the male pipe thread hose barbs non swivel. So I'll carefully cut them off and reinstall, these are 10 years old and have held up fine so far.
It is kinda weird when you first run into them and a male fitting is screwed into a fixed part on one end and the other end of the hose is a male fitting screwed into another non swivelling part. Of course in the original install the fittings were screwed in first then the hoses pushed onto them.

Back
Top Bottom