Interior changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knotheadcharters

Vessel Name
Amar la Vida
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Alright, the Admiral has decided she wants the L-shaped sleeper sofa out of the salon and replaced with 2 recliner type seats. I have no problem with this as I spend most of my time on the sundeck. Now the dilemma. I only have about 25 inches of door width to work with. Does anyone have a source for smaller furniture? I believe Flexsteel is one. Any others or any ideas for recliners?

Check with Florida Leather Gallery. They have a website and have several locations in Florida. We just removed two original barrel chairs on our 53' Grand Alaskan and replaced them with two, small, "wall-hugging" recliners from FLG. I'm not n my boat right now, so I can't give you exact dimensions, but they were some of the smallest we could find. And yes, they do ship!

We found a double recliner Lazyboy which was discounted supposedly because it was discontinued, but still pricy. Anyway, the backs come off the Lazyboy's and was able to squeeze in through the door. Love them.

The "stressless" brand and that general type seem to work well.

We looked at the stressless brand ones but the wife made it clear I was not going to spend 3 grand on a chair for my boat.

So I bought a similar type chair for less that is all leather, just not stressless brand.

The overstuffed type probably wont fit through the door

Dont have photos here at work though

Our boat came with matched Lazyboy and Stressless chairs starboard. The Admiral likes both, but the Stressless, as you can see, is much more compact, even though it does recline. The ottoman for it is kept under the settee table on the port side to leave open a wide walkway through the salon. Both chairs are exceptionally comfortable.

Attachments

• salon starboard.jpg
    salon starboard.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 142
We found a double recliner Lazyboy which was discounted supposedly because it was discontinued, but still pricy. Anyway, the backs come off the Lazyboy's and was able to squeeze in through the door. Love them.

Same here.My Lazyboys I have at home have removable backs and mine would just barely squeeze through a 24 inch door.Mobile homes suck to live in, but it trains you for living aboard, or just making those long cruises.

Another vote for genuine La-Z-Boy brand. Had to move my mother recently and was happy to learn about the removable back. Have the salesman take one apart in the showroom and measure it before you bring it back to the boat.

Removing a window might be easiest temp solution.

They have to be rebedded every so often anyway.

Mr. Healhustler, that is a fine looking salo(o)n. Man, those Manatees are unique in what they can accomodate in 36' or so. Nice.

Thanks all, FF the windows dont leak so if not broke dont fix it.

Mr. Healhustler, that is a fine looking salo(o)n. Man, those Manatees are unique in what they can accomodate in 36' or so. Nice.

Thanks, Jobe. Here are two other shots showing the ottoman under the salon settee... walk through is still unimpeded. The double entry doors help make clearance for larger furniture a non-issue. Thankfully, in addition to every boat having it's compromises, every boat also has it's non-compromises.

Attachments

• salon 1.jpg
    salon 1.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 122
  • salon looking aft.jpg
    salon looking aft.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 119
Thanks, Jobe. Here are two other shots showing the ottoman under the salon settee... walk through is still unimpeded. The double entry doors help make clearance for larger furniture a non-issue. Thankfully, in addition to every boat having it's compromises, every boat also has it's non-compromises.

How heavy are these guys? I've been thinking of this style of chair but I have to pick it up and put it on the couch every time I check the oil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

We just purchased two small leather recliners from Leather Express for our 36' Manatee. Don't forget to allow for room for the chair to recline as not all recliners are wall huggers.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Stressless is about 40 lbs. and the LazyBoy is maybe, 65 or so. Beans is right.....some of the more compact ones are not wall huggers.

That looks pretty much exactly like the chair we bought for our boat. Very comfortable but the ottoman lasted one voyage and it was off to the dump. No room, and not needed

If I had to guess, I'd say the Stressless is about 40 lbs. and the LazyBoy is maybe, 65 or so. Beans is right.....some of the more compact ones are not wall huggers.

Thx at 65lbs that would be approaching the upper limit I would think. But doable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

We currently have two La-Z-Boy recliners like this one and like them quite a bit. We live-aboard so we use them full time. They are compact enough to slide out of the way when I need to pull up the salon deck to get to the engines.

Marty.....................

FF the windows dont leak so if not broke dont fix it.

Windows need to be bedded BEFORE they leak,

or you get to do rotten wood repair , instead of just replacing sealants.

Back
Top Bottom