rangefinders and anchoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing I don't like about anchoring from both ends is that when the wind comes from the side the load on the anchors can be very high.

Pointy end fwd? Could be a big advantage to have the bow downwind if you don't like sailing back and forth. And the stern cleats would set up an excellent bridle arrangement.

But drag form a changing tide? Fly stuff I'd say or hardly any difference w a FD hull. I think I could reach my cruising speed going backwards w a RH prop. Don't think I'd be strong enough to control the rudder though.

I seem to be the minority here but I use my chart plotter and depth finder.

The size of the alarm circle is dependant on the anchorage depth, but with a little practice you get a system down. No trig for me, I go by gut feeling and experience.

Since I cannot hear the chart plotter buzzer from my stateroom I installed a extremely effective alarm in my staterooom. Very loud, very unplesant.

I seem to be the minority here but I use my chart plotter and depth finder.

The size of the alarm circle is dependant on the anchorage depth, but with a little practice you get a system down. No trig for me, I go by gut feeling and experience.

Since I cannot hear the chart plotter buzzer from my stateroom I installed a extremely effective alarm in my staterooom. Very loud, very unplesant.

Most, possibly all chart plotters have a provision for an external alarm. I connected one to mine as well.

Most, possibly all chart plotters have a provision for an external alarm. I connected one to mine as well.

Yep, first time it went off in the middle of the night right above my bunk I thought all hell was breaking loose. No sleeping through that bugger! :blush:

Just re-read this thread and realized that I am in the minority here. Most of my anchoring includes a stern tie to shore. Most of the times I'm tucked in a nice little cove, and any swing would mean probably ending up on a rock as the tide goes out. So triangulating off of a tree is really useful.

Good pictures of stern ties here.

I have a range finder, bought from GI JOES just before their going out of business. I use it all the time anchoring. In a busy anchorage, you can pick your spot, take range finder readings off surrounding boats, and drop the hook, and feel pretty good about not drifting into other boats. Eyeballing it I always find that I think I am closer to others than I am. Also good for beach references. I think mine is good for 300 meters. Another not too expensive tool.

> A stern anchor in an area with reversing tidal current will put the current against the stern at some point.<

WE set the stern anchor off the stern , but walk the line fwd ( its only 3/8 so not heavy) and give a tug to set the anchor .

In the AM its usually 12 hours since anchoring , so the boat is facing the same way in a tidal current, the stern line is walked aft and simply pulled up.

Yes,,, a pair of old sail winches at the stern are great for any boat , but the use is usually for docking , not retrieving an almost up/down 20 lb anchor and 5 ft of chain.

Total time to set the stern anchor a minuet or two, joy of not getting out of the sack at O dark 30 to check or reset , UNLIMITED.

Back
Top Bottom