Thread: Solo anchoring
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
AusCan
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Yup - most of my boating is single-handed. Anchoring is easy. Retrieving the anchor can occasionally be a PITA. Having a vertical capstan, I need to manually keep tension on the rode, so remote windlass switch would be of no use. This makes it challenging is rough or windy conditions.

It can be tricky keeping track of exactly where your anchor is set. When motoring forward to release tension on the rode, its often easy to lose track of where you are in relation to the anchor. I'm always worried about over-running the rode and getting it hung up in the prop. It often takes 3-4 or more trips between the helm and the windlass to get on top of the anchor. With all chain this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

One suggestion is to use an anchor buoy on a trip line attached to the crown of the anchor. This has a couple advantages.
- It offers a second retrieval line if your anchor is stuck, or your rode is cut (or not tied off)
- It shows you (and other boats) exactly where your anchor is set so you can position the boat more accurately during the retrieval process.

Remember to allow enough line on the anchor buoy to account for high tide.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote