Paint or not paint the props

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alemao

Guru
Vessel Name
ORIGINAL
Vessel Make
Hi Star 55
Must we paint the props? I use to paint but I saw that a lot of boats don't paint.
Despite I painted, all the time I have to clean them

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

"Treating" my prop helps to keep the barnacles under control. I have it done annually.

img_252970_0_e8ba562d4a1de89831f14710d115adcc.jpg

We use prop speed. Not cheap by any means but we're in South Florida and growth builds quickly. We did this even though we get the bottom cleaned every three to four weeks. It does a great job. We use it not just on the prop but the running gear as well.

Yes, painting your prop is a very good idea and particularly if you reside down south with warm waters. My prop and running gear have a primer applied and then several coats of Trinidad paint. Bottom is cleaned every 4 weeks and I still get growth but probably far less than if untreated. I have my boat hauled annually.

Attachments

• van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (4).jpg
    van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (4).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406510237.723255.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406510270.380979.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406510393.959448.jpg

I always painted the props but the painting gone fast. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.
I'm using metal primer and the bottom paint

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Your prop is the part of your bottom you want to keep the cleanest. Its worth the extra cost. Use Prop speed.

Attachments

• New Prop.jpg
    New Prop.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 124
I endorse the above. PropSpeed is the way to go. Until I proved this to myself I just used to have harder anti-foul put on the prop and rudder but they always came out a barnacled up mess until PropSpeed. The last time she came out, the prop looked so good I was tempted to leave it alone, and that was after over three years in warm Queensland waters.

Take a look here….
Pic 1 before pressure clean - pic 2 after...

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 162
Must we paint the props? I use to paint but I saw that a lot of boats don't paint.
Despite I painted, all the time I have to clean them

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

If you were literally using your boat every day you could probably get away with just highly polished props.

Otherwise, PropSpeed.

View attachment 31643View attachment 31644View attachment 31645

I always painted the props but the painting gone fast. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.
I'm using metal primer and the bottom paint

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Yes, bottom paint won't get it done. There are many paints designed for props but the only one I know that works is PropSpeed, which is technically probably not even a paint, although you do paint it on.

Also PropSpeed should not be washed with high pressure equipment or cleaned with abrasives. It should just be wiped with non abrasives.

Another vote for Prop Speed.
I don't have my boat bottom cleaned for a year or more after hauling and with Prop Speed the prop stays clean as long as the bottom.

I had always painted my props but it never lasted. I used every primer and paint I could get my hands on over the years. One time I even polished the prop until it shined. I was not happy with anything until I tried Prop Speed.

Have any of you Prop Speed users noticed your boat going faster? My boat had never gone faster that about 15.3 knots in it's whole life. Returning from the yard after putting Prop Speed on, I had picked up some RPM and the GPS showed 16 knots.

I use this and the underwater metal and the underwater metal came out clean after a Florida winter. $20 a can as I recall and I use 2.

PropCoatBarnacleBarrierTN.jpg

Dave

We use this as well, the product seems to be getting better, a few years back it seemed to wash away easily to where there was nothing left by July.
I use this and the underwater metal and the underwater metal came out clean after a Florida winter. $20 a can as I recall and I use 2.

PropCoatBarnacleBarrierTN.jpg

Dave

Back
Top Bottom