Solo anchoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electro

Veteran Member
So I'm new. I don't know many people where I am so I tend to go out boating by myself. I have never attempted to anchor alone.... I have never anchored period. I mostly just cruise around, fish and then go back to my slip.

I'm thinking I should install a second remote windlass switch on the fly bridge for starters, being that's where my only set of controls are.

Aside from drifting into danger or getting mangled in the wildcat, or tossed overboard....

Does anyone on here anchor alone or am I the only jackass that will be attempting this ??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing it for decades...most of my crews have not up to the task at either the foredeck or helm.

I also have to do it regularly on my assistance towboat, often with a large vessel dangling off my tow line in narrow spaces that aren't ANYONE's best choice of anchorages.

Like any solo operation...just think through the steps...don't do it if any variable takes you outside of a safe evolution...and practice like crazy when the conditions are benign.

Does anyone on here anchor alone or am I the only jackass that will be attempting this ??

Thanks

Do you mean anchor when you are the only person on your boat? Or do you mean anchoring with no other boats around?

In either case, I do it all the time. Alone on the boat because my SO does not care for boats (but I care for her, and so reluctantly accept that), and alone in the anchorage because of the part of Florida where I live ("The Forgotten Coast.") No problems. Set the anchor, pour yourself a sundowner, and settle down to watch the sunset.

The second set of controls at the flybridge will make life easier. The problem will be in lifting a dirty chain. If you are at the flybridge you cannot wash the chain down as you lift it. Some well equipped boats (think Nordhavns) have wash down jets that will wash the chain as it is lifted.

Lowering chain and anchoring from the flybridge is not a problem. Do it all the time from the pilot house by myself even with the Admiral on board.

While having anchor controls at both the helm (switches) and at capstan (foot pedals), I've always controlled the anchor at the capstan. Find it easier being close to the action, and always single-handled. Yeah, and one can rinse the chain as it comes up (note hose) although I'm letting out the anchor in this photo.

img_252967_0_6f94bab68ad43d66825f988a18c3b114.jpg

Last edited:
I anchor single handed all the time, and with no windlass. Sometimes it takes a few dashes between helm and forepeak to get boat right over anchor, then back down to pull it free. Run back up and shake it clean and stow in its mount.

Even if I have crew, most have no idea what to do. So I just do my normal routine.

I anchor single handed all the time, and with no windlass. Sometimes it takes a few dashes between helm and forepeak to get boat right over anchor, then back down to pull it free. Run back up and shake it clean and stow in its mount.

Even if I have crew, most have no idea what to do. So I just do my normal routine.

Reminds me of my sailboat, without capstan (pre-trawler) days.

Setting and retrieving the anchor in a relatively calm setting is a breeze. Even a light breeze or mild current won't be a problem. As mentioned, practice often, in varying locations and conditions. And be safe when you do.

Please get back to us with what you learn. It is such a normal thing that I have no fresh perspective on the subject. What you will learn will add greatly to this thread.

Now as to the choice of controls. Each has it's advantages. The capstan area footswitches are great when a washdown is needed. The helm located controls are advantageous when current, tide or wind is pulling on the boat and power assistance is used to relieve the strain on the rode when departing.

I use freefall to drop anchor.

Yup - most of my boating is single-handed. Anchoring is easy. Retrieving the anchor can occasionally be a PITA. Having a vertical capstan, I need to manually keep tension on the rode, so remote windlass switch would be of no use. This makes it challenging is rough or windy conditions.

It can be tricky keeping track of exactly where your anchor is set. When motoring forward to release tension on the rode, its often easy to lose track of where you are in relation to the anchor. I'm always worried about over-running the rode and getting it hung up in the prop. It often takes 3-4 or more trips between the helm and the windlass to get on top of the anchor. With all chain this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

One suggestion is to use an anchor buoy on a trip line attached to the crown of the anchor. This has a couple advantages.
- It offers a second retrieval line if your anchor is stuck, or your rode is cut (or not tied off)
- It shows you (and other boats) exactly where your anchor is set so you can position the boat more accurately during the retrieval process.

Remember to allow enough line on the anchor buoy to account for high tide.

Last edited:
I generally boat with my admiral but I always anchor alone.

Piece of cake.

I always do the anchor drill on my own - the SO usually stays buried in her book, and I have worked out a routine. I usually do it all from the lower helm, especially coming up. Sometimes if up top I drop the pick from there. All chain with horizontal gypsy makes it easier, and I have long ago given up obsessing about the odd bit of mud on the chain. Most of that is on the anchor if at all, and I sometimes pause with the anchor just under the water and swing the boat slowly around to rinse it off - that or go for'd and hose it. Only when using the deck-wash do I need the wife at the helm to flick it on and off while I gesticulate which. Frankly, anchoring on you own is a piece of cake compared to docking on your own, and it sounds like you are well versed in that.

Maybe if you list the specific concerns you have about it we might be able to be more helpful..?

It's all in the preperation. Get the anchor swinging free while pulling in, when you have a lot of room. Head straight into the wind, take her out of gear and go forward and drop about half your chain. Go back and pull it snug, take it out of gear and drop the rest of your chain. Pull it snug and then set it. There are various schools of thought on how to set the anchor. Practice, you'll see how easy it is.

It's all in the preperation. Get the anchor swinging free while pulling in, when you have a lot of room. Head straight into the wind,

I head into the current, typically running between 1.5 and 2.5 knots. It all depends on the environment, doesn't it?

I love my windlass with it's rope / chain gypsy! I just sit on my bridge and flip a switch. I have a very good view of the anchor and chain from my bridge. I lived without a windlass for several years after buying Possum but those remote control windlasses just looked so neat I had to try one. I won't go back and Possum is a pretty small boat.

To deal with the mud problem I switched to stainless chain. The mud doesn't seem to stick to the stainless like it does to galvanized chain. My galvanized anchor comes up a mess but it's hanging off the pulpit so the deck doesn't get dirty.

You are absolutely correct!

Have you considered a wireless remote? You can carry the remote with you anywhere on the boat and control the windlass.

Bob

Windlass control at the helm is perfect. I'm not a fan of walking around on deck when alone and the boat is not yet anchored. I know it is done.

I have been using the app Drag Queen and go to the bow to drop the anchor to acquire the position for the app, then return to the bow to perform the wash down upon pulling anchor ( which is the only disadvantage I regularly find to all chain). I too would like to have a wireless remote.

Hello Electro.

I have a hard-wired remote. When underway it hangs inside my forward hatch -- easy to access from the forward deck. Yes, I've got the switch there at the helm, but prefer to be on the bow for the procedure.

Ditto retrieval. The anchor snubber line is attached to a bucket for washing mud/sand off the chain as I bring in the chain.

This last time I was at the dock I painted the first three feet of chain white so I know when it's almost up.

And yes, I'm a soloist. When I've cruised the selected area (back and forth to make sure there are no obstructions using my depth sounder as a check) I'll head into the wind/current and take her out of gear. When forward momentum ceases I quickly jot down the coordinates and then go to the bow for deployment.

Simple. As she drifts back I'll let her "catch" the bottom. Once she's at 4 to 1 I cleat the chain off to the samson post before heading back to the helm.

Next, putting her into reverse allows me to confirm I've got a good hold. Then add the snubber and call it good. At that point I'm around 5 or 7 to 1 and that works for me.

I'm certain folks deploy and retrieve from their controls. I don't.

Last edited:
I thought long and hard about my anchoring gear before I purchased and installed the windlass, controls, anchor roller, ground tackle and washdown.

I installed a self-deploying anchor roller so there is no need for me to go to the bow to deploy the anchor once the safety tether is removed. My windlass powers down and up....no free fall. Once I reach my chosen spot, typically driven at the lower helm, I press and hold the down side of the rocker switch and watch the anchor drop on the fish finder. My rode is clearly marked every 30 feet so I know just how much is played out. Once the anchor is on the bottom, I reverse slowly to lay the rode on the bottom in a line, rather that a pile.

My horizontal windlass will handle chain and line seamlessly. I have a hardwired control at the lower helm and a wireless remote for use anywhere in the boat. The remote goes with me to the bow if an anchor wash is needed. It's also used from the FB helm during warm summer months when I drive from 'up top'.

How do I know if a washdown is needed? When I start to see dirty water or mud splashing on the top of my stainless anchor platform/windlass, a washdown is needed. I installed a washdown and spray nozzle on the bow in a recessed can. I can wash with one hand while I hold the remote button with the other. This DOES require me to set my beer down as I only have 2 hands.

When retrieving the anchor, I don't try to move the boat with the windlass. I drive the boat to the anchor. I do this in short burst of idle fwd, then take up the slack with the windlass. If the windlass starts to slow from the strain of the rode, I stop retrieving and move the boat closer to the anchor. It's a coordinated dance between engine(s) and windlass that becomes second nature after some practice.

If someone is onboard and they want to help, I hand them the washdown hose and let them spray the anchor, whether it needs it or not. It makes them feel like they're helping!

I used to have a PowerWinch that could only handle line when tension was held on a line wrapped about the capstan. I hated that thing and found it aggravating, messy and stressful. It would dump the rode, chain and mud on the foredeck and I had no washdown! I used to dread pulling anchor to find a different fishing spot. Now it's about as complicated as getting another beer from the fridge.

Last edited:
To my chagrin, the last time I hauled in the anchor (sounds difficult, doesn't it?) ...
Reality: pushed the "Up" button on the windlass remote.

Anyway, the black roller has worn and now the chain will "catch" in it. Another thing to replace in all that spare time with all that extra $$ I have misplaced.

I did not know the rubber part would wear out but mine has. Not sure the age of it -- but nothing is new on this boat..... Anyway, I suspect mine was "going" but it wasn't anything I'd ever checked or noticed.

Just a head's up, in case you're relying on yours as I did mine. I'm temporarily back at a dock for the next stage of the engine swap so timing is okay. Any advice for the material that needs to be up there for the roller part?

Flywright, great idea to follow the anchor down with the fish finder. I need to try that. Thanks for the tip!

learn to do it alone... best done with someone on board to help you in case of a problem... and yes, put a switch near the controls so you can maneuver the boat out of harm if need be while setting or pulling the anchor...

get out there and try... best way to learn...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom