It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have made the turn and now headed ESE. My guess is that they will pick up a knot or more when the following seas settle in, in about 12 hours or so.... I have to admit the ocean voyaging at home is fun and not near as hard on the system. Just watching them I am learning alot!

Goog Morning guys

No up date texts from him this morning I think I added Rogerh to the text list I am going to be heading to the Tampa airport in a couple hours and will be flying over Richard this evening

I will pass on any texts from him on my layover in NYC

Really enjoying cruising the Atlantic Armchair Cruising

If I get any messages I will pass them on if siestakey has not been able to because of his travels. Siestakey, get the pilot to do a low flyover and give him a wing wave salute for all of us. :)

I think their course selection has in part been selected due to prevailing wind/waves.

Definitely following with great interest.

Ken

I find this especially interesting as most of the crossings I've followed and read about have been more southerly. We have always assumed ours, whenever it comes, will be to Bermuda and then to the Azores.

I'm new to this thread; just scanned through every post!

OH BOY!!!! What a great adventure. :thumb:

I'll be keeping close tabs. Wishing super best in all accounts to you Richard and Julie. May fair winds, mellow waves, and great times occur for your every day.

Happy Long Range Daze!Art

To the crew of the Dauntless.... As you can tell from the responses here, we are very grateful for your decision to share your journey with us!

If you input their coordinates into Planet Earth, it shows they're 340 statute miles off the coast of Nova Scotia. Could that be right??

If you input their coordinates into Planet Earth, it shows they're 340 statute miles off the coast of Nova Scotia. Could that be right??

It seems like they should be over 500 miles by now.Where are you finding there coordinates?It's not coming up on the Delorme site for me.It also looks like they're heading a little north east.

I found their coords and going by google's mileage key they are just over 1200 miles from Halifax,NS Canada.That seems a little off. :ermm:

It seems like they should be over 500 miles by now.Where are you finding there coordinates?It's not coming up on the Delorme site for me.It also looks like they're heading a little north east.
On Delorme click on their last location "arrow" and then click "more" and the Lat / Long will display in the white box. You can then convert it from digital format and enter it into Google earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I found their coords and going by google's mileage key they are just over 1200 miles from Halifax,NS Canada.That seems a little off.

Even if they could make 8 knots they're only going to cover 190 km per day and that doesn't even take in to count all the variables. wind, current, course accuracy, etc.

Last edited:
On Delorme click on their last location "arrow" and then click "more" and the Lat / Long will display in the white box. You can then convert it from digital format and enter it into Google earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I found their coords and going by google's mileage key they are just over 1200 miles from Halifax,NS Canada.That seems a little off.

Even if they could make 8 knots they're only going to cover 190 km per day and that doesn't even take in to count all the variables. wind, current, course accuracy, etc.

:thumb:

Based on the speed variations, looks like they are having a great ride... :)

In Europe and here we go have few txts from him

6:43 am NY time
It seems there is an occluded front just to my south.
Winds 185°18kts seas 4-6' and building.
Probably will have to run NE again.

then at 6:50 this one

All else is good.

Had issues with water maker two days running, but it's been fine for the last 36 hours.

Looks like he made a heck of a dog leg this morning. Wonder what he was trying to avoid in that short of a span. Another vessel?

Thanks for the update Siestakey. Yes, his last post shows what he has been on the edge of. If he can get to the east of that front he should have favorable seas and mild wind. But till he can get east of it, looks like he will fighting the seas and the roller coaster affect on his route. I have been using the surf forecast for Nova Scotia and it shows what he is talking about.
Nova-Scotia Static Swell and Weather Maps

Having not seen any updates from Richard in a while, I will just have to venture a guess about his track. It seems to me that he has turned SE to ride the following seas from the NW since the wind has shifted. That should give him a comfortable ride, and pick up a little speed. Decisions like this are a big thing out there.

Bless them both and their little ship.

"Bless them both and their little ship"

Don, my feeling exactly!

What do y'all figure, 3 days or so to the point of no return?

Is there a version of WeatherMap+ available for the PC on the net?

Sure wish I could overlay his DeLorme tracker on the weather map so I could see what he's thinking from time to time.

Last edited:
Big Ocean!

Watching this crossing one starts to sense how big an ocean is when in a small trawler. I also find myself thinking a lot about fuel, especially with a track that rarely seems to point at the destination.

Update from Richard:

Fuel. We thought lemons were more important; wouldn't want to get scurvy.
Looked at fuel today for the first time. Port tank just got low enough to see in sight tube. Stb tank still above, est used 130 gal for 500 nm and 100 hrs.

Credit to Krogen Cruisers email list

Update from Richard:

Looked at fuel today for the first time. Port tank just got low enough to see in sight tube. Stb tank still above, est used 130 gal for 500 nm and 100 hrs.

Thanks. What speed would Richard be running for a burn rate of 1.3 gph?

Speed is variable. I understand he is running at 1500 RPMs. With the identical boat and engine I try to run at 1600 rpms to get 4 nm to the US gallon. Speed would be determined by waves, wind, and current. From what I can tell he is running at 6kts or so. Others may have more accurate information on this.

Last edited:
Good news on the fuel. I think all of have been on pins and needles about that. Now if he can only reach the more easterly flow......

Update from Richard:

Thanks Marty. That's good to know. I get a little anxious for them when their track is not updated regularly. Richard has more to do than worry about us, but we're tagging along.

Back
Top Bottom