First embarrassing anchoring fiasco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so I take most of the pontificating from people who have never used one about what a lousy hook it is with a grain of uninformed salt. As they say, everyone has an opinion, just like a certain orifice.

I've used them, they've dragged. I try not to use them anymore. Unless they are very over sized.

But if they're so great why do they come out at or near the bottom in holding power in test after test?

Or is that just another example of uninformed salt? :socool:

I've used them, they've dragged. I try not to use them anymore. Unless they are very over sized.

But if they're so great why do they come out at or near the bottom in holding power in test after test?

Or is that just another example of uninformed salt? :socool:
No, but perhaps just poor anchoring technique. The CQR generally comes out at the very bottom of anchor tests, yet oddly, in the hands of experienced seamen that seem to work quite well, being until a few years ago the anchor of choice for circumnavigators aboard small yachts for decades. The Bruce was considered quite an improvement at the time, although I agree with you that the bigger the Bruce, the better. But as they say, YMMV.

No, but perhaps just poor anchoring technique. The CQR generally comes out at the very bottom of anchor tests, yet oddly, in the hands of experienced seamen that seem to work quite well, being until a few years ago the anchor of choice for circumnavigators aboard small yachts for decades. The Bruce was considered quite an improvement at the time, although I agree with you that the bigger the Bruce, the better. But as they say, YMMV.

Part of the issue with today's Bruce anchors maybe that they are not really Bruce's and more. But copies and in some cases poorly made copies.

Last edited:
Ahhhh,home.It never feels like home around here anymore until the inevitable " best anchor" thread drift shows up. :D

Ahhhh,home.It never feels like home around here anymore until the inevitable " best anchor" thread drift shows up. :D

Well I'm trying to do my part. So while I'm at it, can I get you your pipe and slippers sir, a brandy as well? Or perhaps just more popcorn? :D

Well, we love our claws in the California Delta mud. My 15kg Claw had never failed me in literally hundreds of anchorings in the last 7 years. I'm hesitant to switch for something that can beat that 100% track record.

Maybe there's something about technique, type of bottom and accompanying ground tackle that makes a difference for some.

Al, maybe the simple answer to all the differing views is that if your current anchor suits your usual bottom - substrate that is, not derrière - then as we all try to anchor in good conditions, and in as sheltered a possie as we can, the anchor is not subjected to the max, and therefore copes well.

Last Easter here on Moreton bay, the weather was so calm, you could have anchored anywhere with just a large brick tied on the end of a bit of rope and not moved.

I think I can also say, Capt Bill11 is not Marin heavily disguised, but he did use to quote someone else's saying which is probably spot on, and that was "no-one's anchor ever fails...until it does.."

Maybe it's the difference between the copies and the original Bruce that affect the holding power of the claw types. I've measured my original Bruce to a claw copy on the boat next to me. There are differences in the measurements and angles. The copies also appear softer. I've seen a fair share in my marina with bent shank's from getting stuck I presume. My Bruce has only let go one time and it was in the above described thread. The only good anchor is the one that you can go to sleep with.

Im brand new to boating...... Ive haven't even dropped my anchor yet.. Ill be practicing when I get back to land.

Im brand new to boating...... Ive haven't even dropped my anchor yet.. Ill be practicing when I get back to land.

I'm not exactly an "old salt" myself and have had some fun times keeping the anchor set :blush: I'm thinking of installing a Go-Pro camera to the hardtop and selling tickets :whistling::popcorn:

I know that you do not mean literally that you will be practicing putting out the anchor back on land (although you may). But actually, if you are new to it, then doing it in a manner that lets you see just exactly what the anchor is doing is not a bad idea. I used to watch mine set in the Caribbean (clear water), and they do some amazing things. Not at all necessarily what you think they will do. :) Also used to dive them in the Caribbean (because we would anchor for days or even weeks), and that is also instructive.

Maybe it's the difference between the copies and the original Bruce that affect the holding power of the claw types. I've measured my original Bruce to a claw copy on the boat next to me. There are differences in the measurements and angles. The copies also appear softer. I've seen a fair share in my marina with bent shank's from getting stuck I presume. My Bruce has only let go one time and it was in the above described thread. The only good anchor is the one that you can go to sleep with.

In my and seems other experienced cruisers opinions...it still may be more 90% captain than anchor...just so many variables j...

Just like the seaworthiness of a vessel...as much or more so the skipper than the boat.

I know that you do not mean literally that you will be practicing putting out the anchor back on land (although you may). But actually, if you are new to it, then doing it in a manner that lets you see just exactly what the anchor is doing is not a bad idea. I used to watch mine set in the Caribbean (clear water), and they do some amazing things. Not at all necessarily what you think they will do. :) Also used to dive them in the Caribbean (because we would anchor for days or even weeks), and that is also instructive.

LOL yeah I didn't quite think that through :facepalm:

What I mean is. Im a US Merchant Marine and I have a good chunk of time left out here on the ship before I get back to land where I can then get on my boat and head back out to sea to practice setting :thumb:

The Bruce descendants are all a bit different. That is a good thing in an important way. There's a chance that one (or more) could be better. And w people like CaptBill11 running them down (the Bruce) perhaps I should be glad I've got a Lewmar. The most unique Claw I've seen is the Plastimo. The Plastimo has long slender flukes. Wanted to get one until a certain Lewmar looked so good I just bought it. Looks a lot like a Bruce though so perhaps I should'nt expect too much. It is big though (33lbs).

I've been through two 50 knot gales w an anchor that the Practical Sailor testers could'nt even set. One was 13lbs .. The other 19. Anchor tests are good reading but frequently misleading or even invalid. Especially the ones w anchor advertisements included.

That's OK Bill ... Guys have been bash'in the Big Bruce for about 6 years here on TF.

Last edited:
In my and seems other experienced cruisers opinions...it still may be more 90% captain than anchor...just so many variables j...

Just like the seaworthiness of a vessel...as much or more so the skipper than the boat.

Based on the amount of people I see who seem to anchor successfully seeming to use no special technique, I'd say it's far less then 90% the captains skill that come into play to get an anchor to set. At least I sure hope so.

I don't really believe anchors are so poorly designed that without the use of some magic technique they will fail to set reliably most of the time. At least I hope not. :)

In some special cases could some technique or finesse be needed to get an anchor to set correctly, sure. On a day to day basis, not some much IMO.

Back
Top Bottom