View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
koliver
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Furuno NavNet 3d

I have used the Capn charting program since Windows replaced Dos as the OS on my laptop. I am currently using Capn 8.x (not the very latest, I think they are in 9.x or 10.x by now). the upgrades I have purchased when I upgraded my laptop to the next+1 gen OS. The Capn upgrades cost $75 or $100 each. The version that I currently run, on Vista, is perfectly stable, has none of the interruptions Marin describes ( those can be controlled easily by whoever sets up your laptop) and will allow AIS and depth information. The later versions will also allow Radar overlay. You can display as many or as few routes and prior tracks as you want, waypoints can display photos if you want. Routes can be created in a matter of a few mouse clicks.

This summer I also used a Humminbird Chart plotter/sounder on my new dinghy, and plotted the location and production of my prawn traps. For that purpose the plotter was excellent and handy enough, but when it is back on the flybridge, it is a real PITA to use for routes, compared to the laptop down below. The plotter uses a $175 chip of charts for this area, but the detail sucks when compared to the CHS (same as the paper ones) charts used in the Capn.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote