It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand it's common to run the full passage, then change oil, including on pacific passages. I gather a steady, long run isn't as hard on oil as multiple short(er) runs.

It's 320 hours or so, but only 13-15 days. I think most would monitor carefully, might select a synthetic or premium oil, and would be diligent about filling along the way. In an engine that's in top shape and running well, been changed just before the trip, then it really shouldn't be an issue. I would consider that a reasonable choice whereas I just wouldn't want to shutting the engine down in the middle of the ocean or trying to run on the get home system.

I pull an occasional oil sample on my Cummins. Lab says at 200hrs oil is still in good shape, and this includes some hard runs, short runs and runs at very low power. I change at 300hr.

Some engines at light load pick up fuel dilution from incomplete combustion, that could be a bigger problem than soot load.

Last edited:
And they are off again!

New Text from him

Running at 1600 rpm, 7 knots, no Paravanes.

I think the prop recon makes at least a 0.5 to 0.8 knot diff.

Thanks guys, you shamed me into doing right!

View the location or send a reply to Richard Bost:

It looks like they're making pretty good time. . . . until you zoom the map out to where the departure point is on the left and the destination is on the right.

That is when the enormity (the Holy Crud!!) of the trip sets in!! :eek:

Maybe they are burning it fast enough it doesn't matter...:D

Or you can always draw out a couple quarts and add it while running...as long as your pressure and temp stay fine...no big deal.

Or amazingly enough...even the middle of the Atlantic can get calm enough on a trip to shut down and change the oil...not my choice as shutting down in some of the places I've been in boats and helos was a no-no even though we trusted them to start when we needed them...just didn't take the chance.

They could have just monitored their oil usage before the trip and are adding oil accordingly. Or perhaps they installed Murphy gauges where the can monitor all their fluid levels while the engines are running and add as needed.

Where do you anticipate his next stop is? I haven't backed the map out enough yet.

Okay, looks like Azores and that is one long trip. :ermm:

Good to see they are on their way again.
Looks like good speed as well.

Re oil usage, once you have used an engine long enough you know the consumption so just add the appropriate amount every 24 hrs or so.
300 hrs with out a change will not be a problem when running at good load.

Pretty exciting ( or boring) trip ahead.

Cheers
Benn

My guess is Flores Island, Azores....only 1680 miles or 280 hrs/12 days at 6 kts!

You da man, Richard!!

Long time since I have seen a position update...

Noticed that yesterday too. Would provide updates every 10-20 minutes for a while and then nothing for an hours or so. Don't know enough about the system to really even guess!!:confused:

Pretty exciting ( or boring) trip ahead.
Cheers
Benn

Yeah. I think I'd prefer boring, but I'm sure they will have their moments. When you''re that far out, every little unrecognizable squeak, creak or grunt or vib is a "moment". One evening at my dock, I was aboard a friends boat who probably had more cruising miles aboard boats in blue water than anyone I know. A couple of dolphins were playing below the boat, probably chasing a school of fish. Suddenly there was a loud thump on his hull (something I had heard many times while docked there with my own boat). Even with all his experience, he stood up (obviously startled) and said he had never heard anything like that before.

Water, and what goes on beneath a boat, can often make for those moments.

Last edited:
The oil change issue shows one, unmentioned, advantage of twins-shut one down, change the oil, fire it up and do the other one!

The 42' KK that recently did the Galapagos-Marquesas trip I think did shut down mid-ocean for an oil change.

Yeah. I think I'd prefer boring, but I'm sure they will have their moments. When you''re that far out, every little unrecognizable squeak, creak or grunt or vib is a "moment". One evening at my dock, I was aboard a friends boat who probably had more cruising miles aboard boats in blue water than anyone I know. A couple of dolphins were playing below the boat, probably chasing a school of fish. Suddenly there was a loud thump on his hull (something I had heard many times while docked there with my own boat). Even with all his experience, he stood up (obviously startled) and said he had never heard anything like that before.

I've talked to several who have made the crossing and it's funny how different it is for each of them in terms of enjoyment, trouble, fear, weather, conditions. There have been some where the boat was put on the market for sale as soon as they reached the other side. But others saying it was the experience they hoped for plus some. I would think only having two aboard to share the helm would be tough. Especially since it also denies the two of you common experiences much of the time as you're simply not together. But we're all use to different paces. Our longest single leg of our Alaska trip was 760 miles but we had plenty of helmsmen and were never bored. I think about the time they hit the midway point the enormity of the trip will hit them when they realize how far they are from the nearest land. They seemed extremely well prepared and I'm betting on a great experience for them.

Yeah, those thumps, squeaks and different tones you here every now and then always get my attention. One of my buds is a long haul trucker, he says the same thing about his truck. Back and forth from South Texas to North Dakota year round w/ oilfield equipment.

Someone earlier mentioned the drone of the engine, and that's what it is. Comforting, reliable, steady. Soothing even. It'll be those odd, out of place noises that get your attention, be they engine noises, the water or something in it.

Northern Spy, aaww, Keiths #1

Siestakey, also a thanks for updates of Richard and Julie. Like many I also admire their courage and wish safe passage!

Just curious - does a KK-42 typically have a wing engine or some sort of aux power source? Not that I think they will need such a thing, but I'm not familiar enough with the KK 42 to know.

Does anyone know what that their plans are for the return trip?

Just curious - does a KK-42 typically have a wing engine or some sort of aux power source? Not that I think they will need such a thing, but I'm not familiar enough with the KK 42 to know.

In my experience the majority of Krogen 42s do not have a wing engine or other get home device. Many, including Bay Pelican, do. It is more come on those boats which are taken offshore to the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America. A 27 hp Yanmar was a favorite wing engine to be installed. Provides 4kts in normal seas.

In my experience the majority of Krogen 42s do not have a wing engine or other get home device. Many, including Bay Pelican, do. It is more come on those boats which are taken offshore to the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America. A 27 hp Yanmar was a favorite wing engine to be installed. Provides 4kts in normal seas.

It's my understanding some also had what I'd label emergency only set ups with hydraulic systems set up to operate off the generator. Have no idea what he has, if anything.

I had the same question. I read this on the Kadey Krogen site last night :
Power and Performance
The standard Krogen 42 is propelled by a single, freshwater cooled, 135-hp Lehman diesel engine, turning a three-to-one reduction gear. At a cruising speed of 8 knots, her range is close to 2,000 nautical miles. Only five boats were built with twin engines. For boaters who might be reluctant to put to sea with a single engine, Jim Krogen designed an optional emergency hydraulic drive that was belted to the propeller shaft and powered by and optional 12-kilowatt generator. Other emergency propulsion systems have been developed as well.
http://www.kadeykrogen.com/articles/pages/42thequintessentialtrawler.htm

I wonder what modifications Richard did make to Dauntless? The last note I looked at (9:06 AM, PDT), showed the elevation at minus 59'. Does the KK 42 have any underwater capability? Could make for a smoother ride!

I just requested an update and it looks like they're about 400miles off shore,if I am reading the map correctly.I can't figure if that's good time or not.Seems ok seeing as how they expect 13 to 15 days at sea.

I'm kind of curious as to why the more southerly direction if heading for the Azores? Could be weather dodging, etc. I guess. Wow... what a trip!!!

I think their course selection has in part been selected due to prevailing wind/waves.

Definitely following with great interest.

Ken

I agree, they have some fairly large seas to the east of them and as they move south they are not only dodging the 10 to 12 foot seas but they are getting into a position where they can ride some comfortable easterly seas for a good part of the trip. At least that is my guess but I am very confident that Richard has a plan to this approach. Certainly holding my interest and waiting to see when he makes the east turn. My guess would be within the next 12 to 24 hours. Watch as soon as I get done typing this he will make the turn. :)

I agree, they have some fairly large seas to the east of them and as they move south they are not only dodging the 10 to 12 foot seas but they are getting into a position where they can ride some comfortable easterly seas for a good part of the trip. At least that is my guess but I am very confident that Richard has a plan to this approach. Certainly holding my interest and waiting to see when he makes the east turn. My guess would be within the next 12 to 24 hours. Watch as soon as I get done typing this he will make the turn. :)

I had the same thought as you after checking the weather report.If anything happens,they can always run west to Bermuda.I do hope they get into some good conditions to move them along to the Azores.

This is too cool, ocean voyaging at home. This one might beat Hendo's record for replies before its over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom