It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ski: Try a different device if you've got one. My old Mac G-4 won't draw up any data....neither will my old PC. I have to use either my Acmiral's new Mac or my year-old Galaxy phone.

Ski, I had the same problem. I have Internet Explorer as my browser and windows vista as the operating system. I switched to firefox as my browser and it worked fine. Firefox is a free download and works well with lots of things. I actually ended up making my default browser today.

Haven't confirmed but I doubt Richard has a Lehman 120. These were discontinued in the Krogen 42s before 1985 (my year). His is a much later Krogen and may not have a Lehman at all.

Maybe a 135? Similar except for the return fuel amount from what I can relate.

Siestakey, any more updates from Dauntless? He has had several brief but significant course changes and slow downs to almost stopped. I thought he may be heading up to Nova Scotia to avoid a weather system that is coming his way.

Rogerh got 1 late yesterday that he is loving the Krogen

Is a whole different story.

This Krogen is so wonderful in a following sea, it's unbelievable.

Hmm. I still show them 20 miles or so off shore. Beer run, maybe?

Maybe heading in to let the front pass that is coming up from the south. Check out the surf report... Funny how we are all watching so closely. It is the trip that I would always want to make but certainly don"t have the guts to do it.
Nova-Scotia

Heal lets send him some beer from Sarasota

yes it looks like a stop over

he is sending messages again

#####

15 minutes later, got underway again, without the Paravanes out. The winds are lighter, but there is still 2-3' waves 30° off our beam.

##########

Thanks.
Decided that since the wind and waves brought us do close to NS, we may as well stop and top up tanks, one last time.

( that was in my reply to his course change)

#######

And just like our trip to NS last summer, it's foggy, but at least the lobster pots are well marked.

Though I already managed to snag one with the birds.

######
Suffice to say, Paravanes were redeployed within 5 minutes.
This Krogen may love following seas, but she rolls on a damp lawn! :)

########

I'm expecting front to pass thru tonight. We'll get underway in the morning with nw winds.

Seems a prudent move to me. Wait out weather or get north of it and top off the fuel tanks. Richard's background in meteorology is coming in very handy.

When he's in port, tell him to get a case or so of Authentic Seacoast beers if he can find them. Fuel for the boat, fuel for the soul.

Wow....how helpful it is to see those messages. Thanks, Siestakey.

I think Roger said it best for quite a few of us here. I'm nervous about the trip, checking the progress all the time. I don't think I ever felt that I had some kind of stake in the success of a crossing before.....maybe cuz Richard and Julie are undertaking this in a way that might be feasible, manageable, think-able, affordable, you know....possible for many of us here on the forum. Richard and Julie have never put themselves or their experience "above" us, either in their blog or here on the forum. This is a big deal to them, and they are one of us. If you were on the bridge with them, you might say: "Man, did you see that wave?" And they'd say back to you: Yeah, sheww!" I guess this is why it is so real.

Wow....how helpful it is to see those messages. Thanks, Siestakey.

Ditto about the messages! I think many of us are picturing/dreaming of ourselves in the Pilothouse on a similar adventure.

As for the engine on Dauntless (KK148), Rekindle (KK145) has the FL-SP135 so I'd imagine she's the same as most of that vintage are. Fuel burn rate should be closer to the 2 gph or slightly under with the reported seas and fish in the water.

Appreciate the technical commentary from the Krogen owners, now on a very long running trip, some 13 straight days, is there a point you would need to shut down and check the oil levels/add oil?
As for the engine on Dauntless (KK148), Rekindle (KK145) has the FL-SP135 so I'd imagine she's the same as most of that vintage are. Fuel burn rate should be closer to the 2 gph or slightly under with the reported seas and fish in the water.

Most engines oil level can be checked while running. One side of stick gets splashed, usually the other side a level can be read. Try it while running with a known good at-rest oil level and see what you get. It will be lower than at rest, but you can make a reference mark.

Not sure if this applies to the Fords. I can do it on my Cummins, gennie, and many other engines.

Some large engines have marks for running and marks for at-rest.
Most engines oil can be added on the fly.

Appreciate the technical commentary from the Krogen owners, now on a very long running trip, some 13 straight days, is there a point you would need to shut down and check the oil levels/add oil?

You would need to check all fluid levels and many other things regularly while underway, but shutting down not generally required. I'm sure he's got a schedule for doing so. Perhaps every change at the helm. And I would think you'll probably need to add oil. He's going to put over 300 hours on this trip. Think how many boats we see advertised for sale that never hit 300 hours.

I guess people like Richard and Julie and my wife and I are meant to average things out.

That's it then. He's stopping to top up on "fluids". :lol:
Fuel, oil, beers. What did I miss?

Will Richard turn east after the front pass or skirt on up to Labador?

I agree guys on the messages and I sure did not feel I should hog them and not share with all the rest

I have to leave my boat for work on Sunday to head to Switzerland and Germany for a few days but i will try to keep them flowing even while traveling

Regular oil should be changed at 200 hours for a Lehman 135. There are ways do get around this with synthetic oil, separate filters etc. Don't know whether these are applicable to Dauntless or not. Typical plan is to switch to the auxiliary engine while the oil is changed, or to wait for unusually calm seas.

Siestakey, thanks again for the updates that you receive from him. Let them know that we are all with them as they make their journey and we are following each mile as they go. If they want to copy the updates to one of us as well as you while you are gone I or any others would be happy to pass them on. Up to you of course.

Rogerh

That sounds like a good idea let me see what I can do

By the way my sister lives in Niceville on John Bayou great area

Regular oil should be changed at 200 hours for a Lehman 135. There are ways do get around this with synthetic oil, separate filters etc. Don't know whether these are applicable to Dauntless or not. Typical plan is to switch to the auxiliary engine while the oil is changed, or to wait for unusually calm seas.

Or just run it till they get there and then change it. An extra hundred or so hours before an oil change is not going to kill a Lehman. Or pretty much any engine for that matter.

In fact changing oil based on regular oil analysis allows you to get the most out of your oil.

Maybe they are burning it fast enough it doesn't matter...:D

Or you can always draw out a couple quarts and add it while running...as long as your pressure and temp stay fine...no big deal.

Or amazingly enough...even the middle of the Atlantic can get calm enough on a trip to shut down and change the oil...not my choice as shutting down in some of the places I've been in boats and helos was a no-no even though we trusted them to start when we needed them...just didn't take the chance.

I understand it's common to run the full passage, then change oil, including on pacific passages. I gather a steady, long run isn't as hard on oil as multiple short(er) runs.

Back
Top Bottom