It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is everyone looking at post 57????

Looks like they have caught a most favorable tail wind, or current. Rock on!!

I am not proficient with the Great Circle route mapper, but would it have been shorter (fuel) to leave from Nova Scotia?

I am not proficient with the Great Circle route mapper, but would it have been shorter (fuel) to leave from Nova Scotia?
Shorter overall or just a shorter blue water leg ?

I'm sure Richard will set the record straight but I'll bet the jumpoff point was pick to minimize total time...not just a shorter bluewater crossing.

Shorter overall or just a shorter blue water leg ?

I'm sure Richard will set the record straight but I'll bet the jumpoff point was pick to minimize total time...not just a shorter bluewater crossing.

I would think a combination of that as well as keeping a bit south. Many factors to take into consideration. When we cross, probably 4 to 5 years from now, we'll probably do as most from the southern US do and go from the coast to Bermuda and then cross. Simply a combination of factors as from Fort Lauderdale direct would be nearly 3300 nm and Bermuda is 2256. Still a couple of hundred more than Halifax but depending on season a preferred route to many.

I am going to post below some of the email texts Richard is spending

On a more northerly course.
Now, maintaining 90°cog

Need to get east of NS before that Low overtakes us and forces us to run NE again.
Thanks for reporting

#####

Today, seas same as yesterday, 2-4' wx
CLR 7+ 70° 185°12kt 1009mb

Right now seas are off stb qtr 45° for the last 24 hrs kept it at 30° but that forced us

#####

Paravanes are great, a few minor mods makes them even better.

Maretron stuff is great. Coastal Explorer uses it, so now I can tell that the winds are

######
TWA are now Only 130° to 135,° off bow.

Watermaker is great, thumping away, but you only hear it when in galley since water out uses sink drain.

####

Keeping rpm at 1500 to conserve, with birds in water, have still gotten 5.5 to 6.3 knots.
No doubt to reconditioned prop.:)

#####

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 43.13683 Lon -68.155682

Wow, thanks for the post. Funny how we are all tracking them and in a way on the journey with them. I wonder about the weather also and ended up at the same sight that Marlinmike went to. I saw how he is running between the pressure systems. He certainly has it timed right.

Rogerh

We sure are and he sure does

Watching that big hook to the right sure announced the intention, no? I see on Richard's profile that he is a Meteorologist, ...a good skill to have in any crossing of big water. By now, the sounds of the boat and systems at cruise are like a song.

I wonder what kind of schedul they are running. Four on four off???

I probably missed it, but does anyone know how many gallons of diesel fuel Dauntless has on board?

I'm told 700 Gallons of diesel.

Ouch! That maybe cutting it a little close. Maybe he has an extra fuel bladder on board. 150-160 miles/day with fairly good conditions. Richard has so far proven his cruising skills. Man, this is gutsy!

Last edited:
I thought I read 12-13 days, I figured (and could be wrong) 1gph which is 24 gallons a day, that would be shy of 300 gallons, or do i have the burn rate wrong?

I thought I read 12-13 days, I figured (and could be wrong) 1gph which is 24 gallons a day, that would be shy of 300 gallons, or do i have the burn rate wrong?

I think Richard mentioned coming up through Buzzards Bay that 2 gal/hr was his normal burn rate. That probably included generator. He also said he had throttled back for economy, so I figure about 1 1/2 gal/hr or 36 gal/day. Rough conditions can alter that quite a bit. Maybe he will report as he goes along.

Richard confirmed that he had only the 700 US gallons standard for a Krogen 42, two 350 gallon tanks.

Doesn't he have a Lehman 120? I don't have the spec sheet for the 120, but the fuel burn graph for the 135 shows about 1.2gph at the 1500rpms that he mentioned in one of his messages. So 1 or just over 1gph for the 120 sounds quite possible.

I assumed he would stop in Labrador for fuel, no? That would minimize the time spent far from land and its only about 1200mi from there.

Ken

hope the last update on position is not a concern. Shows 4,3 knots heading WSW.... I have seen the range on the Krogen to be advertised in the 3000 mile range at 6 to 7 knots.....

It looks like they have turned around, at least temporarily.

looks like a bad update. back to the correct course and the previous update is gone. That makes me feel better!

Looks like he is back on track!

Good to hear and see all is well.

I wonder what kind of schedul they are running. Four on four off???

I have been wondering the same thing.There was a guy on WBF that single handed to Bermuda and he did the 4hr on 4hr sleep.He was an accomplished and experienced blue water sailor.

I assumed he would stop in Labrador for fuel, no? That would minimize the time spent far from land and its only about 1200mi from there.

Ken

Yeah, and if not for fuel, at least for beer!:thumb:

The one stat that is reported on the updates that confuses me is "Elevation". It seems to vary pretty much between 29 and 39'. I think it pretty safe to assume that Dauntless" is at sea level. So what is the elevation? The only guess I have might be antenna height, but that would not explain the variance and the 29-39' still seems high even for that.

Any easy way to view track? I tried the link on first post, but nothing really shows up. It seems to send a request, and I really don't want to bombard him with too many.

Elevation will vary with seas and with GPS accuracy. 10' swings are not unusual, sometime even sitting still.

Any easy way to view track? I tried the link on first post, but nothing really shows up. It seems to send a request, and I really don't want to bombard him with too many.

Elevation will vary with seas and with GPS accuracy. 10' swings are not unusual, sometime even sitting still.

It should just work. I have used it no problem with Firefox, Safari and IOS-7.

I believe you are not pinging him directly when you look for an update - I think it is a repository of occasional updates kept on the Delorme site.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom