Okay Everyone Check Her Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocky

I finally got a pic to post for my avatar.* Probably looks just like every other CHB you all have seen a hundred times before, BUT....she's pretty special to us.* Just wanted to share with you all, as you ALLl were so helpful with all my questions during the purchase and survey.* Thanks.* We are still working on getting he transom painted so we can put on the new name.* Will post a pic when we get that done.
confuse.gif

PattiK

-- Edited by Rocky on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 08:32:28 PM

She looks great!
Happy cruising,
Steve W

WOOOOOHOOOO!!!! Looking great!!! Congrats!

Thanks guys, a real dream come true for us and we are having a ball fixin her up.

Congrats! She's a hottie!

Way to go Patti!* Welcome to the fraternity of crazy boaters.

You can certainly say that again. we feel a little crazy. You get a new "old" boat and everything else takes a back seat....LOL,

"You get a new "old" boat and everything else takes a back seat....LOL,"

Well......almost everything else
biggrin.gif

Nice....let the fun begin.

Patti/Rocky, life will never be the same again. Congrats and good luck. You'll probably (have to) take less holidays than before, but you'll spend them in heaven, rather than on plain old earth, like dirt folks, as Phil calls them.

Looks great!

So what did you do about the teak on the command bridge?

For the last month I been sanding/varnishing our teak trim and painting*every thing above the gunnels.* Had a down pour early Sunday morning, had a leak that dripped on my wife head!* Not good!* In the hot, 80 degree summer weather the teak deck will shrink about 1/4" pulling the calking away so the first down pour is when the leaks show up.* Sept is the month I fix/refasten/seal* the front teak deck for the winter.

NICE!! Congratulations!*

Our survey and sea trial are tomorrow and we are hoping for the best (since I already have the name in my sig and picture as my avatar, LOL. we are in love with the boat).

smile.gif

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes.

Jennifer, you're not far from me; boat looks awesome, hope it all turns out perfect for you on sea trial and survey. For sure its a nerve racking time; having just done this in July, totally understand.

Hey Phil, sounds like your plate is plum full, especially if you have water drippin on the wife, not a good thing for sure.

Gosh, all these projects take considerable time, especially when you can only work on them on weekends. Teak on flybridge is still there...LOL, waiting for us to get to it. Our weather has been dry, so other projects have taken its place for the moment. There is an energy plant across the highway from our marina that belches out steam/smoke, not sure which, that has fine particulate matter that blows in the wind and lands on everyone's boat in our marina. Because of this, they pay out to boaters a monthly fee (to cover costs of a power wash, about $92) and $200 twice a year (for complete detail job). In order to get this free money, you have to show proof of ownership (USCG documentation in our case) and have the name of the boat on the transom. Its taken weeks to get our documentation, and our new vinyl name lettering arrived this past week. We have been busy trying to get the transom painted so we can affix the new name and thus submit our application to the energy plant. Then they come inspect your vessel, check documentation, etc. We are enjoying every minute we spend working on her.

When we moored on lake union in Seattle we use to get the road film from the I-5 which was above the marina.* We had neighbor that washed and waxed his new Ocean so much he wore the gel coat off.* Cost him some big bucks to have re gel coated. *At first we washed the boat a couple time a month, now we washed it in the spring, and when we took it out.* Being we do not leave the dock much it only get washed a couple of times per year.* During the winter its 90% coved with canvas and tarps.

If you work and stay on the boat enough, the marina might start charging you as a live aboard.* That is what the marina did to us.* We were a live aboard before we knew we where a live aboard.***Good that you are enjoying the work as it is never ending!

Hi Phil,

So far, we do more of a rinse off every weekend we're there. Its really not that big a deal, and frankly I don't notice this "particulate matter" all that much; but no sense in not taking advantage of the $$, if its offered, can put it in the money jar for a power washer....LOL. Well I sure hope they don't deem us liveaboards, that takes on another $200 per month (I think).

Boats are continuous work, for sure, but already I can see where fiberglas v. wood is much easier to take care of, big difference. I'm still trying to figure out why the inside walls of our old wood boat got so wet and drippy and this CHB doesn't have these issues. You suppose its better insulted?

I am picking up mine today looks like the same boat 1975 Trader lots of teak to refinish ect ect* i think about 3 years work before it is done

Oooo!! baby Oooh mama.!!!
wink.gif
Me likey. Can I have it?
biggrin.gif

SD

You guys are great, and pretty damn funny ta boot.

DOM61, she's a CHB 1981, but hey, they all pretty much looks alike, at least I think so. Congrats on yours, hope you are as happy with yours, as we have been with ours.

Skipperdude: give me a break, you've got an awesome vessel, like I'm sure you'd wanna trade....big LOL

Hello all; we're new to the forum and don't yet own a boat...though we're rapidly falling in love with a particular Monk 34 apparently built by a Finnish fellow in Boring, Oregon in about 1968 (?). It may become available within a few years. We met the wonderful*owners earlier this summer and enjoyed a spectacular 5-hour cruise and visit which convinced us to explore, with real seriousness, the possiblity of owning a boat and easing into this water*lifestyle on*BC's Sunshine coast.

Question for Patti and Rocky: Is your boat like the one we describe above? There seem to be many similarities. Would love to compare notes.
C & K in Edmonton, Alberta!

Patti,

Congrats on what looks like a great purchase. (I'm just a little bias) You'll have lots of 'projects' to keep you busy for a long time to come, but these little ships are very seaworthy, and will take more abuse than we skippers will!

As far as your boat not having the water problem your wood boat had I'd think insulation isn't the difference. *I've not found much insulation in the walls of my CHB, but it stays dry as there are no leaks in the windows or ceiling. *I'm wondering if your old woodie had some sort of water intrusion.

While your avatar may look like every other 34' CHB, the fun of course is making those subtle changes that make the boat unique to you. *Getting to know each system of the boat makes you more confident and makes problems easier to find. Remember, it'a all a labor of love (we have to keep telling ourselves that sometime)!

C and K;

Welcome to the forum. *As you're finding out, there is a LOT of valuable info here and lots of firsthand knowledge on about any boat you decide on. *Shopping for boats (walking the docks) is always fun and rewarding. *When the time comes for you guys to purchase you'll know what it is you want in a boat. Fun stuff!

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

C and K,

I'm not sure if my '81 34'CHB is anything like the 34' Monk you are looking at, as I'm not that familiar with Monk boats. Give me more of a description of yours and I'll see how it compares. I love the floorplan of our boat, its actually perfect for us. If I could change anything it would be to have twin diesels instead of the single. We are so new at this, I'm worried the learning curve for us on a single screw is going to be difficult, we arent' spring chickens for sure.

Rocky wrote:

I'm worried the learning curve for us on a single screw is going to be difficult, we arent' spring chickens for sure.
Anything you can accomplish with a twin you can accomplish with a single.* The techniques are different but if you watch the helmsmen of tugs, most fishing boats, etc., you'll see that they put most recreational boaters to shame no matter how many engines the recreational guys have under the floor.

A single isn't a steeper learning curve, it's just a different learning curve.* Most of the boats we see get in maneuvering trouble at the fuel and pumpout docks across the fairway from us are twins.* You can not know how to use twins effectively as easily as you can not know how to use a single effectively.* I demonstrate the twin-engine half of that statement often enough when we're out with Carey, who has a single engine lobsterboat.

I assume your boat doesn't have a bow thruster, but that's something you can easily add (assuming the cost is in line with what you're willing to spend) and it will make your boat even more maneuverable than a twin (unless the twin also has a bow thruster
smile.gif
)

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 30th of August 2010 04:39:45 PM

before my husband decided he would only consider*twins
wink.gif
*I found this article.** this guy has a Krogen

http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/360turns.htm

He talks about "backing and filling" which is exactly what one of our dock neighbors explained to us is his "secret" to maneuvering his Heritage 38.** He is better at handling his boat than most anyone else in our club.

Pineapple Girl wrote:
He talks about "backing and filling" which is exactly what one of our dock neighbors explained to us is his "secret" to maneuvering his Heritage 38.*
FWIW, you can use backing and filling almost as effectively with a twin as with a single.* I*say almost because a single usually has a*much larger rudder so you can generate a lot of*sideways force with it.*

It's the only technique that will make a 60 or 70 foot narrowboat in the UK go where you want it to go when maneuvering and I got real good at it.* Unfortunately I never think to use this technique in our GB even when there are times when it would be the best thing to do.* The "I have two engines" mentality tends to shut out all the other stuff I've learned with a single.* So I always think in terms of splitting the thrust instead of alternating thrust and rudder(s).

Backing straight or making a right angle turn to back into a slip or Med moor are the only maneuvers that a single engine boat doesn't really want to do. Practice a few times in calm conditions, and you will get the hang of it, then try in more challenging conditions and you will likely find some of your technique works just as well, some not at all, so you will learn what does work.

Speaking generally, a rudder is designed to operate mostly (power boat, not sailboat) on prop wash. That design feature should be kept firmly in mind, so you are not tempted to try to use the rudder when there is no prop wash acting on it. ie: don't try steering with the rudder while your prop is turning in reverse. In reverse, a much stronger effect on your steering is the walking of the prop. A right handed prop will walk to starboard in forward and to port in reverse. In forward the walk is cancelled out by the rudder reacting to the prop wash. In reverse the walking is going to move the stern of your boat in the prop wash direction.

With that understanding, you can put the stern of your boat exactly where you want to, provided you don't ever try to fight the prop walk. So, if you need to moor on a slip that is on your port side as you approach, and you have a right handed prop, with a walk to port in reverse, you can back in by putting your helm hard to starboard and using fwd and reverse to move your stern around and get some way on in the reverse direction. With the rudder remaining hard over, if your stern needs to move further to port, just give a burst of forward and it will move over, returning to reverse for the movement back into the slip. If you are too far to port, you will need to put your helm to port and give that burst of forward, then continue in reverse.

If your slip is to starboard, and you have the same port moving stern, go in bow first and your boat will naturally want to turn into the slip, keep your helm over to starboard and bursts of reverse will kick the stern away from the dock till the boat is facing straight in, then you can just steer in.

Don't try to back into that starboard side slip, and only go bow first into the port facing slip if you can complete your turn before entering the slip.

The same technique will work on twins, you just have twice the props and rudders, so can do both fwd and reverse at once.

On either single or twins, it is most important to put the bow where you want it first, while you have complete control of the stern, where the action is. Don't ever give up control of the stern by handing some dockie a line, if the bow isn't already where you want it. No lines should be handed to helping hands until the boat is fully where you want it to be, unless you don't want any credit for docking the boat and want the dockies to take all the credit for bringing you in.

Above all, practice in a variety of conditions.

Marin, whats the cost of a bow thruster + installation?

SeaHorse II: DVD is out of stock :eek:(

I can see from these posts it really comes down to practice, practice, practice. We do have some good open area to do this in, although wish there were some empty end slots on the dock we could practice docking.

Hey Mike (Coyote),
Our boats are alot alike...LOL, yours is a year newer, but looks just like ours. Previous owner painted the house this awful beige; we ae going to go back with white, so much cleaner looking. My hubby is retired from law enforcement, not in psych area though, hence the new name of our boat Wuzz A Fuzz. He also finds our new boat very theraputic as well. You can find him most evenings on the flybridge with a good cigar...LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom