nav Upgrade-NMEA decision to make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So your saying turn off all the other words?

Actually, the RMB (Recommended Minimum Navigation Information) sentence is all that is required by most autopilots. Give it a try first.

Then compare it to APB. You probably won't notice a difference, but APB provides more information that some autopilots can use.

Most likely, either will work for you.

And yes, turn off all the other sentences.

To make a long story short, when the AIS sent data through the multiplexer the C120 insisted that it lost its GPS location fix and set off an alarm.

Discussions with Raymarine tech support followed and they said the few seconds the AIS information was in the data stream was enough to cause the MFD to timeout. There is no way to change that.

Maybe the E series is smarter than the C series.

Crap! I don't think so. We're dealing with identical symptoms on a new E series install.

I was thinking it might be a poor connection somewhere to the AIS antenna. Sounds like I should try a different filtering script on the multiplexer before I tear the antenna out and replace it.

Actually, the RMB (Recommended Minimum Navigation Information) sentence is all that is required by most autopilots. Give it a try first.

Then compare it to APB. You probably won't notice a difference, but APB provides more information that some autopilots can use.

Most likely, either will work for you.

And yes, turn off all the other sentences.

No luck Larry, tried them all. Even reversed the polarity as a last resort.

CE has some diagnostic modes where it will show you what it's transmitting and receiving. Have you played around with that at all? It might reveal what's going out on which port, and perhaps give a clue or two.

CE has some diagnostic modes where it will show you what it's transmitting and receiving. Have you played around with that at all? It might reveal what's going out on which port, and perhaps give a clue or two.

I've seen them, but in all honesty didn't dig to far into them, they were just spewing data.

No luck Larry, tried them all. Even reversed the polarity as a last resort.

I'm sorry I don't know more about CE. I like twistedtree's suggestion to use the diagnostics mode to identify data and port utilization.

Just to verify the JX300 is working properly, you could connect your E120 to the NMEA 1 (In) and make sure it is selectable by the AP20. Then switch it to the NMEA 2 (In) and again, make sure it is selectable. Leave it connected since that is what you mentioned you were planning.

If the AP20/JX300 pass that test, then you can be certain that you are only looking at CE, the port connections, and the data it is sending to the Autopilot.

The Simrad AP20/21/22 - JX300 is a very common autopilot and I can't imagine someone hasn't successfully connected one to CE.

I found this thread on the forum that speaks to connecting the AP20 to CE that may help with the interfaces.

Must be some simple setting that is being overlooked. It's not rocket surgery . . . . . . although sometimes it seems like it :D

Best of luck to you,

Larry
M/V Boomarang

We have two AP-20 AP's (Ones a back up) I find that APB tends to mess up our course and steer us in the wrong direction, so we use RMB.

Also do you have the right input source selected on the AP?

That can be done by swiftly tapping NAV twice> Then using the red and green arrows to scroll down to NAV.Source> Then use the knob to select which source> Then press STBY to get back to your regular screen.

We have two AP-20 AP's (Ones a back up) I find that APB tends to mess up our course and steer us in the wrong direction, so we use RMB.

Oliver since you actually have an AP20 connected to CE you're my new best friend! OK back to reality here.
I installed this AP personally in 03 (?) So I'm pretty good with it. Always had 2 nmea inputs connected. Unit has functioned flawlessly. I decided to upgrade from another nav software to CE while I was installing an E120 as my replacement backup system. I'm still in process on the E120.
Can you confirm what sentences you actually use with the CE? Then I can eliminate that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

LOL, I actually don't have CE, we have garmin. Should of said that, sorry about that. I would use RMB, assuming CE has the choice, APB didn't work well with our AP20's.

LOL, I actually don't have CE, we have garmin. Should of said that, sorry about that. I would use RMB, assuming CE has the choice, APB didn't work well with our AP20's.

OK . You're just using rmb and nothing else?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Here ya go.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406255518.393064.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406255518.393064.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Have you checked out CE's support forum or called their tech support? Thee are a few posts on the forum about AP20s. CoastalExplorer.net

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom