Cars we should have kept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Three that would be fun to have again:
1955 Pontiac convertible, Poppy Red with a white top and deep shag carpet. Breathed on 316 with a reworked 4-speed hydro. Totalled on a hot August night 1968.
1961 bug eyed Austin Healy Sprite. Rescued from a wrecking yard and restored.
1962 Impalla 2 door, built 283 with a Hurst shifter, 4:11 rear end and glass packs. Boy did that car sound sweet crusing down Main in 2nd gear!
Just once before I die I want to own a car again that when I start it people look out the window to see what it is.

PS: Burned valves and rusted out*exhaust is not exactly the sound I'm looking for.

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Saturday 26th of November 2011 02:58:08 AM

nomadwilly wrote:
Detroit Iron

Noth'in like it

Hide the women and children.

The boys are out tonight.

Not for the faint of heart!!*************************** KJ

download.spark

I wish I would have kept all my cars and bikes.
Except the Renault Turbo Fuego.
I wish I had never bought it.

The one I wish I could get back. I put in a 351W with '69 small chamber heads, dual exhaust, Holley 4BBL, a Ramsey PTO winch, and a soft top. She turned more heads than a new Corvette. Even the head nun at the hospital I worked at begged a ride in her from me one day! She had me drive her over to the "nunnery" and rack the pipes so the others would come outside and see her in it. She then made one of them take her pic so she could send it back to Ireland.
img_84251_0_8145182e9efe026fd6bbf88fc4c4f756.jpg

Last edited:
i ,had a 1936 ford phanton 4 dr converable when i was 1 old 18 yrs old,girls were not a problem at all. now i am 82 and driving jap cars LOL

Mine was the 1965 Mustang I bought when I came back from Vietnam in 70'. Oddly enough it had been owned by an older couple...low mileage, and in great shape. Paid cash for it...I was still on AD...and was posted to Ft. Stewart, GA....tried to get insurance...but it was too expensive....they classed the car as a "sports car"....and wanted way too much to insure it....

Me I liked the M-14...I was in Vietnam when they were making the transition to the Matty Mattel M-16....hated it. But they said we had to use them.... I would love to have an M-14...not happening any time soon...but I would settle for a Match Grade M-1 in a heartbeat.

I brought a Nazi Mauser Rifle home from Vietnam...when we captured it, it was still wrapped and coated with cosmoline...or something similar. Had all matching serial numbers...with the Reich's eagle stamped in each grouping....my apartment got burgled in Tampa...and it disappeared....

I had one but was using it as an every day driver.* The problem was that it was a $1,500 repair bill going someplace to happen.* If you go to the 928 parts book, arranged by price,*the least expensive part is a "wiper blade insert" at $15.00, the next part price is $1,500.00.* Everything was pricey for that car.* So it went away.

That's quite a piece of hyperbole there regarding the parts...but I wouldn't say that it is inaccurate in spirit. It has it's own "BOAT" factor, particularly if sourcing parts from the dealership network or paying techs to do the care and upkeep. All of mine saw DD driver duty, and I have one now that is DD.

At the time they were built the dyed in the wool Porsche folks didn't like them.* Mainly due to the water cooled, front*engine.* A*REAL Porsche had to be air cooled, rear engined.* But the factory drivers and engineers thought it was one of the best production Porsche ever.* Possible only bested by a 914 -6 at that time.

Things have changed some what*now that they are all water cooled.*
All true, and I'd add that there was/is also the human factor in that the intent in designing the 928 from a tabula rosa, was to supercede the rear-engined air cooled turtle cars.

Interesting side story is that the first 928 Serial # 928-001, so to speak,*chassis was built, then the body put onto that chassis was an Audi two door coupe that was stretched a bit after the B post.* The reason for this was the car could be tested*on the track in Weissach and then on the Autobahn with out anybody being the wiser.* I saw pictures of that car and it looked like a miss shaped Audi Coupe.* You looked at it and knew something was wrong but could not put your finger on it.* Of course at 100 kph on the road it looked like any other Audi.

We actually have a bead on VIN #001, the track/test mule was probably a numbered prototype, but not given a serial number per se.
928 Classics - Home

Attachments

• 30V300HP.jpg
    30V300HP.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 86 MOTOR.JPG
    86 MOTOR.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Cam1.jpg
    Cam1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 67
  • trips.jpg
    trips.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 64
The one rig I've owned that I really liked better than any other is one I still have. It's a '98 Explorer that I bought new and now keep down in AZ for our driver when we go south. It's not flashy, doesn't get great mileage (5.0L V8) but as far as a rig that's been absolutely trouble free, comfortable to drive and always gets me where I'm going, it's #1 in my life. It only has 107K on it and I plan to keep it until it rolls over and dies. (Explorers did have a problem with rollovers, but if you drive 'em like they were designed to be driven there's no issue there).

As far as guns I wish I still had, at one time in the 80's I had all the barrel lengths of S&W 29' and 629's in .44Mag. I was a cop so got 'em all at discounted prices.

I've given most of my rifles and shotguns and my large gun safe to my son. He had way more guns than I did so I gave him my Ft. Knox safe and bought a cheapie to keep my own hardware in.

Now that I have my LEOSA card I'll be packing more than I have in the past. We're taking a trip back east in August for 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I want to take a handgun with lots of capacity (9mm 5906) or one that's easier to conceal (Model 60).

The best was a 1970 judge gto convertible, one of the last I let go
1957 chevy
1957 studebaker hawk with a viper engine and trans
2001 viper
1948 plymouth with suicide doors and a 350 engine and turboglide and modern running gear
1954 cadillac convertible
1987 porsche 911
1965 corvette convertible--had it for 20 years and the last i sold
1964 i think barracuda
1958 bugeye sprite
1996 mini cooper
1998 jaguar xk8
1965 lincoln convertible
I had all of these at the same time. Neighbors constantly raising a fuss and then they passed a special ordinance limiting how long cars could be parked in the driveway so i had to let them go.

I should have kept my 1965 Porsche SC coupe with sun roof. The last year of the 356 model, what a pure joy driving machine. Best memory was a Dodge RT coming up along side of me on I-95, his jaw dropped when I shifted into fourth gear at about 105 mph and pulled away. 107 hp @ 5800 rpm out of 96.5 cubic inches of displacement, 115 mph max amazing !!
Best gun I did keep a Colt 357 Python, blue steel 6" barrel, been better than blue chip stock.
Bill

The car sold, a 1968 Dodge Charger reddish orange with the black vinyl top, beautiful!
The gun, kept, a 1978 Colt Python, bought new. It hasn't fired more than 50 shots. The blueing looks a mile deep.

This was mine. 67 Plymouth Baracuda.

Man the fun I had in that car.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 11:15:53 AM

Ahhhh - It brings back memories.
I had a '67, a '69 and a '64 Baracuda.
They all shared the same worked 340 cube V8. So much fun in a straight line. The cornering was a bit agricultural though. (hence the 3 changeovers).

Other fun machines were a 68 Dodge Charge with a 440, and a 48 Fargo pickup powered by a Oldsmobile 394 rocket. That was a death machine as all the money was all spent on power, rather than upgrading the original drum brakes and vacuum wipers.
I got it out of my system early and managed to live to tell the tale.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom