Insurance survey - what should I expect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff-if you are really concerned (and reading the posts here, hard to tell whether to be or not), I would PM Peter (Pau Hana) and ask him. He is an out of the ordinary insurance guy, honest, straightforward and knowledgeable. He should be able to give you a very good idea of what the insurance company might be looking for and what to expect.

Will comment tomorrow- we're on the book in the San Juan's with crappy (is any) cell/net service...

Two thoughts:

Why don't you arrange to meet with the surveyor in person, prior to hiring him and get a feel for him. It can tell you a lot. . . if you don't care for him or you have concerns. Don't hire him and move on. I had a really bad experience with a surveyor who was referred too me and caused me some trouble. If I had met with him first, I would have never hired him. Fortunately the adjuster for my insurance company worked with me and straightened out his mess of a survey.

If you think the insurance company is too demanding, shop around, they're a dime a dozen. As long as they are an established insurance company with a marine division and offering an agreed value policy you're probably going to be good. But just be sure and read the policy and ask questions as "the devil is in the details." Maybe even have a knowledgeable third party review the policy.

I can't really comment on the cost as my current insurer hasn't asked for a survey in over 10 years since I switched to them. But that does sound like it's a little on the high side. Inflation I guess!! :eek:

Last edited:
Tennessee "surveyor" update. After being shown what a REAL survey looks like via one of an identical vessel, and the example on the SAMS site, as what one should expect of a survey-he refunded 75% of the money. He still stands by his "I do 110 surveys a year, and that's all I need to do" whilst also saying admitting he's had complaints. You think? I fear the true condition of these boats he surveyed. We're still going to send his two surveys to SAMS and let them decide if this the type fellow that should be using SAMS name. We worked out his hourly rate to be rather "excessive" for the time he put in for his $18.50 per foot charge, for a boat not even out of the water!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom