View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Larry,
The ballast in W30s is concrete and steel punchings. When they punch holes in sheet metal fabrications the little usually round discs fall out of the big machines and onto the floor. Then they are swept up and put in a dumpster. Willard bought this scrap steel and put it in with the concrete down in the bottom of the boat as ballast. My Nomad has two tons of such ballast. It's said to be common practice at the time. Like over propping one of the accepted practices of the time that later became some of the bad things we did long ago and now looked down upon.

The steel does it's job well until water gets inside the concrete through a crack in the concrete. My Nomad had a leak in the stern tube and ingested water into the concrete in the Lazerette. The rusting and corroding steel punchings expanded through oxidation and the concrete mass pushed the aft bulkhead between the Lazerette and the hold fwd threatening structural damage. Used a small and large jackhammer to break apart the concrete and remove it. The bulkhead was pushed fwd well over an inch. Put in a new stern tube and replaced the concrete ballast w lead. Had to do lots of scrounging to find enough lead.

Seldom is a low time engine what it seems. Perhaps I should say often but an engine w 5000 hours and consistent good maintenance would be usually preferable. Wear dosn't kill engines .. neglect and years in the bilge are an engine's enemy. The ideal engine in an old boat is a new one. Some people do good maintenance and keep few records and others keep excellent records. Either is fine. But tests done by professionals are golden. Spend some money and get the engine properly evaluated.

The perfect Willard W30 will have a recent engine installed properly and both fuel tanks replaced. Plenty of newish electronics and recent batteries help too. And of course sound wood in the cabin sides and decks is important. Most things like paint, carpet, upholstery and a fouled bottom can be fixed. The boat should be hauled and the blisters evaluated by one that really knows. I think all Willard's have blisters. Never heard of a boat sinking from blisters though. Some boaters over react and spend earth shaking amounts of money. My blisters I consider more of a nuisance than a real threat.

Let us know what you find.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote